Archive for Tuesday, February 1, 2011

26-year-old Lawrence man arrested, accused of committing sex crime against a minor

February 1, 2011, 10:58 a.m. Updated February 1, 2011, 3:09 p.m.

Lawrence police Monday evening arrested a 26-year-old man accused of committing a sex crime against a minor.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a police spokesman, said the man was accused of having sexual relations with a 14-year-old girl from mid-December to Jan. 22 at a north-central Lawrence residence.

A parent of the girl made the initial report to police, Sarna said.

Police arrested the man on charges of aggravated indecent liberties with a child, indecent solicitation of a child, criminal sodomy with a child and furnishing alcohol to a minor. He was being held without bond.

Sarna said no further details were available Tuesday afternoon as the investigation continued.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson said he expected his office to get information from police Wednesday before prosecutors made a decision about formal charges. The suspect would likely see a judge Wednesday afternoon.

The Journal-World generally does not identify sex crime suspects unless they are convicted.

Comments

Gary Anderson 4 years, 5 months ago

Remember...our new Republican overlords says it's not rape unless he used force...like with a weapon...unless it was a gun...cause they're pretty cool with them...

Gary Anderson 4 years, 5 months ago

yeah...I used to feel that way too...it used to be true. If this girl gets pregnant, then she can't use the rape exemption if she chooses not to complete the pregnancy and needs assistance...unless her rapist used force...that is what the modern Republican party wants for America's little girls. The Republicans made this specific case political...not me.

fundamental 4 years, 5 months ago

The GOP isn't exactly "reinventing" the definition of rape here, skyking. The FBI specifically excludes statutory rape from its definition of rape. All H.R. 3 does is codify what was in the Hyde Amendment in 1993, which prohibited federal funding for abortion in all cases except for rape and incest. Federal funding has never been provided based solely on the minor age of the mother.

This whole "Republicans want to redefine rape" line is just a fear-mongering campaign by pro-abortion activists. As with most (if not all) lobbying campaigns, the truth is rarely so simple as what they're peddling.

FloridaSunshine 4 years, 5 months ago

@Made_in_China....THE SKYGOD?????? What kind of nut are you???!!!!!!!!!! I agree the evil guy should be persecuted with no mercy, but your first sentence is mind-boggling!!!!! Are you joking or serious?? In either case, YOU'RE A NUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fixed_Asset 4 years, 5 months ago

The sky god is a recurring theme in mythology, Florida. Our word for deity comes from The Sanscrit word "sky".

Shame on you for judging another simply because they may not believe what you believe.

FloridaSunshine 4 years, 5 months ago

@ Made_in_China, Fixed_Asset, and evilpenguin.....

Just FYI...I've studied mythology, my dears. Save your condescending attitudes for someone else...what I was so upset about was Made_In_China's remark that "if the skygod wills this girl to be pregnant, the baby will be ok"...this is mythology we're talking about...the girl (really a child!) may not be so "ok"...what about her??
And as for you, Fixed_Asset...how dare you accuse me of something I've never done in my entire life...I have never judged anyone "simply because they may not believe" what I believe. I never have and I never will...it's not part of my belief system. Evidently you and evilpenguin are willing to jump to conclusions which do not even exist. So be it...

Fixed_Asset 4 years, 5 months ago

Some followers of the popular mythology of today i.e., the antiabortion movement, believe that if the sky god wills someone to have a child, they shoud have the child. China was obviously being a bit sarcastic. Those who believe this way don't care what happens to the child after birth only that they be born - get it?

Florida, Florida, Florida........ calling someone a nut is not a judgement? If you don't want folks thinking you are judgmental, I would suggest not calling someone a nut for their opinions, be they serious or sarcastic.

FloridaSunshine 4 years, 5 months ago

Fixed_Asset, Fixed_Asset, Fixed_Asset... Please see my response to Liberty275 below. Thank you.

Liberty275 4 years, 5 months ago

Would you find "imaginary god" more acceptable?

FloridaSunshine 4 years, 5 months ago

@Liberty275...I was not referring to anyone's belief system...I was referring to the fact that the writer seemed to deem it not so horrible that a 14-year-old may become pregnant and have to live with this loathsome memory for the rest of her life. (Whether or not she becomes pregnant, she'll still have a loathsome memory to live with.) It seemed to me the writer was more concerned about a non-existent baby than about the child who was with a grown man for all that time. Fourteen-year-olds do crazy things, and many times put their lives in danger due to lack of sound choices. (We don't know all the details regarding this situation yet.) My reaction had to do with anyone's belief system thinking that as long as the baby is "ok", that makes everything "ok" for the 14-year-old child. I would call ANYONE a NUT who believes that...it doesn't matter what religion, denomination, or belief system one has.

Glenn Reed 4 years, 5 months ago

China wrote two sentences. You're complaining about the first two. These were satirical. China was attempting to be so crazy with these phrases so as to ensure that no one could possibly believe that he was being anything but sarcastic. At least I'm pretty sure he was. In any case, that's what I'm going with.

The problem you're having with China does not exist. Please move along.

Glenn Reed 4 years, 5 months ago

I meant he wrote three sentences. Too tired to type right, I s'pose.

FloridaSunshine 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, I hope you have a relaxing and lovely evening...we can all be mistaken at times, eh?

FloridaSunshine 4 years, 5 months ago

@Morichalion.... You state yourself that you're not sure if he was being sarcastic. Not knowing each one of you personally, as so many of you seem to, I could only think he was being serious. There ARE people who think that way if I'm remembering correctly.

@Made_In_China...if I misunderstood you, I apologize and stand corrected. Even your friend, Morichalion, says he's at least pretty sure you were being sarcastic. Can you see how someone who may not even know you could possibly be mistaken about your intent?

I do stand by my post to Liberty275...even the last line.

Oh, one more thing, Morichalion, I will "move along" whenever I choose, IF I choose, got it???

Now, hope you all have a delightful afternoon and evening!!

Fixed_Asset 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't "know" China, but I do know he was trying to make the point that so many who believe in the modern skygod also believe all zygotes should be born, no exceptions. Nowhere in his comment do I see evidence of him making light of the young girl's plight, as you imply.

I sense you are frustrated - you must remember this is not personal and by grasping that simple concept, your frustration will float away..........:-)

jhawkinsf 4 years, 5 months ago

If all you say about republicans is true, I reject them completely. Then again, if your blather represents democrats, I reject them equally.

justoneperson 4 years, 5 months ago

dangit, it timed out

112th Congress (2011 - 2012) H.R.3

53girl 4 years, 5 months ago

How did a 14 yr old getting rape turn into something political? Shame on you!!

trymeone35 4 years, 5 months ago

Glenn Reed 4 years, 5 months ago

The article suggests that this was going on for a bit more month. A parent, not the victim, informed the police. None of the charges indicate that victim denied consent at any time. While speculation can sometimes lead to inaccurate results, this would suggest that the victim was, at the least, a willing one.

This guy was obviously lacking in good judgment. However, putting him in the same class as the attackers of Jamie Leigh Jones, or the folks Judge Martin let off too easy is a bit harsh. Those guys committed crimes that leave their victims scarred to this day.

If the accusations are accurate, he should be convicted. I think a hole-in-the-ground-forever penalty is a bit harsh, and maybe not the best thing for the victim, either.

Further information might sway my opinion, but from the above article alone, I can't say I have enough information brand this guy a monster.

Something that helps form that opinion: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/aug...

BillybobThorten 4 years, 5 months ago

Since the LJW doesnt print names of the accused, can someone please print the case # on the Lawrence police criminal activities page? I dont want to sift thru the minutia since they dont identify much in the descriptions