Archive for Friday, December 30, 2011

Two juveniles detained in connection with arson at vacant Lawrence house

December 30, 2011

Authorities have taken two juveniles into custody who were suspected of arson at a vacant west Lawrence house on Monday evening, a Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical spokeswoman said.

The juveniles were taken into custody about 11:45 a.m. Friday and booked into the juvenile detention center after investigators collaborated with Douglas County prosecutors, division chief Eve Tolefree said.

Fire investigators were called to the unoccupied home, 3133 Creekwood Drive, about 5 p.m. Monday after a neighbor said it appeared someone was trying to set the house on fire. The small fire was out when crews arrived. Tolefree said there was also vandalism at the house, which is near Princeton Boulevard and Peterson Road.

Comments

snm811 2 years, 3 months ago

We dont tell him how worthless she is although she sure has a habit of dragging him into things.as far as letting him see her is concerned we have no choice. The court system is so screwed up thay we cant get help getting him away from her unless we have thousands of dollars to throw at some lawyer.

Morganna 2 years, 3 months ago

OMG - telling a kid that his mother is worthless is a crime. I bet if you are bold enough to give the excuse that he was with his worthless mother to all of us here then you probably say that very thing in front of this child. Wake up Dad and Step Mom - listen to what you are saying - stop and beg this child's forgiveness for bashing his mother. Shame on both of you and thank your lucky stars this did not go any futher than it went!

toe 2 years, 3 months ago

There are so many empty houses in West Lawrence, this kind of sport could become common. Lawrence should survey and watch these homes and charge the banks for code violations to encourage a write down and sale.

Jane 2 years, 3 months ago

I would have to agree that wrecking mom's car on a middle of the night joy ride is 'normal'...setting a fire to someone's house is beyond the pale of 'mistakes' that teens make. Good kid or not, hanging with the wrong crowd or not, this is definitely not just a stupid mistake, imho.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

Attempted arson is a tad beyond normal kid pranks. Good thing they were too stupid to be successful.

snm811 2 years, 3 months ago

Everyone always has something to say about stuff that has nothing to do with them. My stepson is a good kid, but he is a teenage boy, and when teenage boys get together under the supervision of worthless mothers that don't care about where they are and what they are doing, they make stupid decisions. I am not excusing what he did, but I guarantee you that all you people have done stupid stuff and had your family members do stupid stuff in the past. Does that make all of you bad people or your parents bad parents? No. Don't judge me or my family without knowing us. How would you feel if I sat here making fun or your kids or writing ignorant comments about your family and parenting skills. Grow up and stop being so damn ignorant.

jcoozy1978 2 years, 3 months ago

Questionable about number 1 Grandmas grandma skills.. well grandma I'm sure you were not a perfect parent either. I don't believe there is a such thing. His kid made a mistake and he's paying for it. Maybe you should not be too quick to judge. Maybe just maybe you could focus on your own da%$ family and be the wanna be grandma that you have always tried to be.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 3 months ago

I wonder if these gems will stop at this criminal act, or if they will go on to commit more.

kewlb 2 years, 3 months ago

No to all you people who wana throw out rude comments,it was my kid,hes a damn good kid,he was just with the wrong people,this type of stuff isnt in his character,he plays sports,never has been in trouble before,I am a good parent,his mother on the other hand isnt,thats who he was with the time this happened,I assure you that he will be properly punished,and this or anything like this wont happen again.He made a bad decision and mistake,and he is paying the price,so save all of your worthless comments that hes a bad kid and crap,because he isnt!!!!

funny_girl 2 years, 3 months ago

I bet they were paid to burn that horrible house down.

Melanie Birge 2 years, 3 months ago

Kids need outlets, activities are getting expensive, parents are side tracked from watching what kids are doing.Schools are out way to long for winter and summer breaks. I bet these kids parents will be charged not just for the damage cost, but also with the cost of bad eco times. sad...

bearded_gnome 2 years, 3 months ago

motive?

boredom, ecoterrorism?

un-occupied. guess they 'occupied' it then.

UNIKU 2 years, 3 months ago

Maybe the kid in the Porsche could give these late night thugs a ride home ... but they'd have to wait 3 hours...