Archive for Friday, December 30, 2011

Lawrence 16-year-old receives two traffic citations from injury accident

December 30, 2011

A 16-year-old Lawrence boy who crashed his mother’s Porsche into a tree last week has been released from a Topeka hospital and also received two traffic citations for speeding and driving without a valid license, according to an accident report.

According to a Douglas County Sheriff’s office report released Friday, a deputy talked with the driver, Joshua W. Boisen, at his home Thursday night. Boisen told the deputy he suffered six broken ribs and a ruptured spleen in the one-vehicle crash. It occurred at 3:50 a.m. Dec. 23 at the intersection of East 1100 and North 1700 roads just northwest of Lawrence. The intersection is an extension of Folks and Peterson roads.

Boisen also told the deputy he took his mother’s 2012 Porsche Carrera without her permission at approximately 3 a.m. Dec. 23. He traveled to his father’s house in northern Lawrence. About 45 minutes later he was driving west on North 1700 Road and turned south onto East 1100 Road at a high rate of speed. After he completed the turn, he decided to turn around and travel north through the curve again, but he lost control of the vehicle and struck a tree. He was eventually flown to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka.

The report lists driver inattention and reckless or careless driving as contributing factors. Officers found no evidence of impairment.

According to the accident report, when police notified his mother, Melissa Boisen, at her home the morning of the accident, she said she believed her car was in the garage and that nobody had permission to have it. She also said her son did not have a valid driver’s license.

Comments

George_Braziller 2 years, 3 months ago

Mom must be a heavy sleeper. Son leaves the house at 3 a.m., starts a car, drives away, and she doesn't realize either of them are gone?

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Why does it matter where the father or mother lives? Kid messed up big time and hurt himself in the process. Hope he gets well but gets more then a slap on the wrist from the courts and his parents.

overthemoon 2 years, 3 months ago

My child would NEVER have done anything like this. But then there was that time I got an angry call at 3 AM informing me that my kid and four others and a bottle of booze had been discovered hiding in a bathroom of a friend's house. Nope, my kid would NEVER pull the sort of stunts I did when I was 15!!!

The kid is out of college now and doing just fine!! I'm sure there were other events I never knew about. Just like those my parents never caught on to.

Keith Richards 2 years, 3 months ago

Why was my post deleted? I posted a link to the mom's foreclosure notice that is found on the ljworld's website. Nothing violated your terms of service, regardless of how arbitrary you prefer to enforce your rules.

Fredmandu 2 years, 3 months ago

jesse499 2 years, 3 months ago

The story said he went to his Dads house didn't say if his dad was there or not or if he saw him.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 3 months ago

the way the timeline reads leading up to the accident, I'm thinking dad in 'northern lawrence' would likely have known that son drove there without a license, and likely dad also knew son took mom's car.

why didn't the northern dad get son home in a safer way, at a more rational time of day?

glad Josh/son is alive. this story might've ended differently!

I hope his sentence is 500hours community service: speaking to high school classes about the dangers of driving that time of night, not being properly trained, and unlicensed. also he could talk on respecting your parents and not heisting their rides.

blindrabbit 2 years, 3 months ago

toe: Dad in "northern Lawrence" not "North Lawrence". I a similar article, I made the assumption that northern Lawrence was North Lawrence. I was informed Northern Lawrence is that area north of 6th Street and bordered by Burcham Park to the east and the Deerfield area and not north of the river.

dabbindan 2 years, 3 months ago

cause of accident? too much car, not enough driver.

an expensive lesson i hope he learns from. for all of us fellow drivers' sakes.

Amy Heeter 2 years, 3 months ago

And if course the kid doing something justifies attacks on his mother. Not.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 3 months ago

Sorry I could not resist being one of the obnoxious commenters, but regardless, I do wish the kid gets well without further harm, and the whole family heals.

observant 2 years, 3 months ago

Checked out mothers face book page. Told me all I needed to know about family and life style.

Antonym 2 years, 3 months ago

The deleted 1:45 was good sleuthing. Why was it deleted? It was public information.

grammaddy 2 years, 3 months ago

Glad to hear he survived and is on the mend. Don't blame the parents. Kids do stupid stuff. Sometimes they're lucky and sometimes not so much. Mine are all over 30 now , most with kids of their own. It scares me to death to hear of some of the pranks they pulled "back in the days". I had no idea. I'm grateful every day to have them all still with me. They were lucky...a LOT.

Jane 2 years, 3 months ago

I am glad he is going to be okay. I had to giggle when I read that he had so much fun going through the curve the first time he decided to try it again. Should've kept on going home, Josh. :) Good luck to you in the future.

buffalo63 2 years, 3 months ago

My parents were great and being the oldest there were a lot of things my parents would not allow me to do that my younger brothers were allowed to do. That said I still did some stupid things, some my parents found out, others they didn't. None of them were things that reflected on their parenting skills, only my making wrong decisions.

toe 2 years, 3 months ago

Dad in North Lawrence. Sounds like a divorce where the old man could not afford the old lady.

bornon7 2 years, 3 months ago

To all parents who think their child would do no such thing. I hope you are right, however, in my experience, kids do stupid things. Smart kids, band kids, doesn't matter. Kids are kids. You may be shocked someday to find out what they did behind your back. Let's just say I know from experience. I was one of Josh's teachers. He was a nice kid. May he never forget how close he came to not seeing 2012.

Tony Kisner 2 years, 3 months ago

Hope the kid is better soon. If it was a '89 Buick Skylark the story gets no looks. Just to make it sexier. I will assume it was lipstick red!

kelulu 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow! is all I can say...not to the terrible accident that almost claimed a young boys life, but to the attack of a distressed family by you psychos! Really, KRichards? Financial stalking and public postings of misinformation along with personal attacks on parenting? Really? To those of you with the "My teen would have never done that" comments, puh-lease! To the Boisen Family, I hope your son heals quickly.

Keith Richards 2 years, 3 months ago

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 3 months ago

BooHoo! sounds like another story of lack of parenting, maybe mom will buy a Ferrari next. lol

jhawkinsf 2 years, 3 months ago

A careful reading of the article suggests there's a lot going on here. Let's just hope this 16 year old recovers well, has no lasting effects from his injuries and gets things in his life sorted out. After all, he is 16. Be well.

kef104 2 years, 3 months ago

Hi is hurt then the article suggests. This is a quote from one of his mother's facebook posts, "Josh was critically injured on Thursday and my Porsche was totaled when he slammed into a tree. Josh suffers from a broken shoulder blade, collapsed lung, 6 broken ribs, and a lacerated kidney and spleen. The doctors have had him on morphine until today. Josh is doing much better today but he has a long road to recovery."

Here's hoping he recovers fully and learns a lesson or two (or ten) from this.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

Grounded until the heat death of the universe....

oletimer 2 years, 3 months ago

The kid was probably one of those who was never disciplined growing up. I would imagine his folks are proud now.

DRsmith 2 years, 3 months ago

Carrera? Ouch is all I can say. I wouldn't have even bothered coming home. Check out of the hospital and go on the run.