Archive for Friday, December 30, 2011

Lawrence 16-year-old receives two traffic citations from injury accident

December 30, 2011

A 16-year-old Lawrence boy who crashed his mother’s Porsche into a tree last week has been released from a Topeka hospital and also received two traffic citations for speeding and driving without a valid license, according to an accident report.

According to a Douglas County Sheriff’s office report released Friday, a deputy talked with the driver, Joshua W. Boisen, at his home Thursday night. Boisen told the deputy he suffered six broken ribs and a ruptured spleen in the one-vehicle crash. It occurred at 3:50 a.m. Dec. 23 at the intersection of East 1100 and North 1700 roads just northwest of Lawrence. The intersection is an extension of Folks and Peterson roads.

Boisen also told the deputy he took his mother’s 2012 Porsche Carrera without her permission at approximately 3 a.m. Dec. 23. He traveled to his father’s house in northern Lawrence. About 45 minutes later he was driving west on North 1700 Road and turned south onto East 1100 Road at a high rate of speed. After he completed the turn, he decided to turn around and travel north through the curve again, but he lost control of the vehicle and struck a tree. He was eventually flown to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka.

The report lists driver inattention and reckless or careless driving as contributing factors. Officers found no evidence of impairment.

According to the accident report, when police notified his mother, Melissa Boisen, at her home the morning of the accident, she said she believed her car was in the garage and that nobody had permission to have it. She also said her son did not have a valid driver’s license.

Comments

DRsmith 2 years, 10 months ago

Carrera? Ouch is all I can say. I wouldn't have even bothered coming home. Check out of the hospital and go on the run.

Eric Neuteboom 2 years, 10 months ago

Had the same thought! And a 2012 at that!

kef104 2 years, 10 months ago

The 2012s have been redone and they are nicer looking and faster then before. The interior is especially nicely updated. Despite how well these cars handle, it takes skill and practice to drive them spiritedly. You would think a 16 year old still learning to drive would have had that lesson driven home by the folks. I am not placing blame here, I am simply stunned that this happened. On the plus side, these are safe cars that protect the occupants well. He will live to drive another one someday.

kef104 2 years, 10 months ago

Forgive me for not being clearer. I meant driving home a message similar to "NEVER run in front of a moving bus on a busy street. It WILL kill you."
Porsches require a driving skill far beyond driving a Caviler. While they are easy to drive tamely, they are too tempting/fun to drive spiritedly to be driven safely without having advanced skills. My point was that the folks should have driven that home. Note that this was not a rearend accident due to misjudging distance or failing to pay attention. This was a near fatality due to having no idea what so ever of how to handle that much power and agility.
I expect young drivers to make mistakes. My son knows without a doubt that once he is able to drive, it will not mean he gets the keys to our Porsche. He attends club events with me and knows there are advanced skills needed to drive these vehicles. He watches club races and has seen the "smashing" results of even good drivers making mistakes.

Hope this further explanation clears up what I intended to communicate. Glad your son and grandmother are okay. Hopefully he understands a little bit more of what you have been preaching to him.

jesse499 2 years, 10 months ago

That's ok they can buy another we need more money going over seas.

bad_dog 2 years, 10 months ago

Speaking of nice tries, it would be nice if you tried to learn something about what you're addressing before posting. The intent to permanently deprive an owner of their property is a requisite element of theft . This appears to be mere joyriding. Going home in the "stolen" Porsche doesn't really support an "intent to permanently deprive" argument.

bublite 2 years, 10 months ago

You are just plain mean.... not only on this article but on pretty much every article that you comment on. Way to be a model parent being mean to everyone.

Oh and there is no record of a bankruptcy filing by Ms. Boisen. Way to libel her.

doc1 2 years, 10 months ago

UNIKU= He didn't steal the car, he used it without permission.

bublite 2 years, 10 months ago

I have no idea if he was disciplined or not growing up....neither do you. 16 year olds do stupid things whether their parents discipline or not. To assume that because a 16 year old did something stupid is due to bad parenting is to assume that all parents are bad parents since all 16 year olds do stupid things. Sometimes they get hurt, sometimes they are never caught, and sometimes even worse things happen. Thank god this wasn't one of those cases.

bublite 2 years, 10 months ago

You can't guarantee anything when it comes to teenagers and to say so makes you sound high and mighty and out of touch. Don't be naive and don't act all high and mighty. For all you know your kids DID steal your car at 16 but were lucky enough not to crash it. Going 50 in a 30 could result in horrible things happening. What if your teenager drove 50 in a 30 and hit someone who was crossing the street? What if the accident could have been avoided if they had driven the speed limit? Does that make the kid more or less of a good kid than this kid? How can you be so arrogant to assume that your children are better just because you didn't catch them doing something?

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 10 months ago

get out of your bubble UNIKU...I guarantee your 16 year olds did things you had no idea about when they were that age.

Mike1949 2 years, 10 months ago

So true, hopefully it was a lesson that he won't forget!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 10 months ago

Grounded until the heat death of the universe....

kef104 2 years, 10 months ago

Hi is hurt then the article suggests. This is a quote from one of his mother's facebook posts, "Josh was critically injured on Thursday and my Porsche was totaled when he slammed into a tree. Josh suffers from a broken shoulder blade, collapsed lung, 6 broken ribs, and a lacerated kidney and spleen. The doctors have had him on morphine until today. Josh is doing much better today but he has a long road to recovery."

Here's hoping he recovers fully and learns a lesson or two (or ten) from this.

kef104 2 years, 10 months ago

He is hurt worse than ...
I am not sure how I messed up the initial posting.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 10 months ago

A careful reading of the article suggests there's a lot going on here. Let's just hope this 16 year old recovers well, has no lasting effects from his injuries and gets things in his life sorted out. After all, he is 16. Be well.

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 10 months ago

BooHoo! sounds like another story of lack of parenting, maybe mom will buy a Ferrari next. lol

kelulu 2 years, 10 months ago

Wow! is all I can say...not to the terrible accident that almost claimed a young boys life, but to the attack of a distressed family by you psychos! Really, KRichards? Financial stalking and public postings of misinformation along with personal attacks on parenting? Really? To those of you with the "My teen would have never done that" comments, puh-lease! To the Boisen Family, I hope your son heals quickly.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 10 months ago

you're an absolute joke UNIKU...wake the hell up

jesse499 2 years, 10 months ago

Thats the problem everyone says MY kids are perfect they never do anything wrong.Thats why teachers have so much trouble it's always someone elses kid that did it.

Armored_One 2 years, 10 months ago

My driving age child isn't perfect.

My child is, however, smart enough to not A. take off in the car at 3AM and B. try playing NASCAR at that time of night.

I know for a fact that my child has pulled some bonehead moves in the last few years. I am positive I haven't heard most of them. I will wager body parts that no one was hurt in the process.

The kid's an idiot, the mother needs to keep better track of her car, but it could be worse. We could be reading that he turned himself, or worse someone else, into street grease.

UNIKU, like myself, probably never had to worry about the kids doing something THIS moronic, which is a nice change of pace. Always nice to know that there are parents, other than myself, that stick their nose into what the kiddos are doing more than once at christmas, the birthday and graduation if the kid makes it that far...

dabbindan 2 years, 10 months ago

nah, it wern't no accident. it was an almost inevitable wreck. middle of the night, 16 years old, performance sports car...

Tony Kisner 2 years, 10 months ago

Hope the kid is better soon. If it was a '89 Buick Skylark the story gets no looks. Just to make it sexier. I will assume it was lipstick red!

bornon7 2 years, 10 months ago

To all parents who think their child would do no such thing. I hope you are right, however, in my experience, kids do stupid things. Smart kids, band kids, doesn't matter. Kids are kids. You may be shocked someday to find out what they did behind your back. Let's just say I know from experience. I was one of Josh's teachers. He was a nice kid. May he never forget how close he came to not seeing 2012.

buffalo63 2 years, 10 months ago

My parents were great and being the oldest there were a lot of things my parents would not allow me to do that my younger brothers were allowed to do. That said I still did some stupid things, some my parents found out, others they didn't. None of them were things that reflected on their parenting skills, only my making wrong decisions.

grammaddy 2 years, 10 months ago

Glad to hear he survived and is on the mend. Don't blame the parents. Kids do stupid stuff. Sometimes they're lucky and sometimes not so much. Mine are all over 30 now , most with kids of their own. It scares me to death to hear of some of the pranks they pulled "back in the days". I had no idea. I'm grateful every day to have them all still with me. They were lucky...a LOT.

mdab1609 2 years, 10 months ago

Yeah all you have to do is look up the mother's name in the real estate section on ljworld.

Alex Parker 2 years, 10 months ago

Providing a source, rather than relying on potential hearsay, would have kept the comment on the site.

bad_dog 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't know what was posted and I don't really care. Your response seems a bit ironic don't you think, given they indicated the LJW's Real Estate section was the source? Regardless of the actual source, if it's public information, it isn't "potential hearsay".

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 10 months ago

Sorry I could not resist being one of the obnoxious commenters, but regardless, I do wish the kid gets well without further harm, and the whole family heals.

Amy Heeter 2 years, 10 months ago

And if course the kid doing something justifies attacks on his mother. Not.

dabbindan 2 years, 10 months ago

cause of accident? too much car, not enough driver.

an expensive lesson i hope he learns from. for all of us fellow drivers' sakes.

blindrabbit 2 years, 10 months ago

toe: Dad in "northern Lawrence" not "North Lawrence". I a similar article, I made the assumption that northern Lawrence was North Lawrence. I was informed Northern Lawrence is that area north of 6th Street and bordered by Burcham Park to the east and the Deerfield area and not north of the river.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 10 months ago

the way the timeline reads leading up to the accident, I'm thinking dad in 'northern lawrence' would likely have known that son drove there without a license, and likely dad also knew son took mom's car.

why didn't the northern dad get son home in a safer way, at a more rational time of day?

glad Josh/son is alive. this story might've ended differently!

I hope his sentence is 500hours community service: speaking to high school classes about the dangers of driving that time of night, not being properly trained, and unlicensed. also he could talk on respecting your parents and not heisting their rides.

jesse499 2 years, 10 months ago

The story said he went to his Dads house didn't say if his dad was there or not or if he saw him.

Fredmandu 2 years, 10 months ago

overthemoon 2 years, 10 months ago

Why would you post such a thing? Why do you think you should make a bad situation even worse by throwing all the dirty laundry out for all to see? This story was really not an invitation for a trial by comment forum.

cboisen 2 years, 10 months ago

For the record, the house is no longer in foreclosure. Its hers forever until she decides differently. But the paper doesn't report when people get to keep their houses so I guess it makes sense for you to make assumptions, publically, about people's financial situations and lives.

overthemoon 2 years, 10 months ago

Having access is not the same as making the choice to broadcast it. A little restraint would be in order.

kelulu 2 years, 10 months ago

the moon is made of cheese! there you go. it's on the internet so it must be true. look above saying the car was black when it was actually blue-right there on the journal world's website. when misfortune befalls your family, is this how you hope your community reacts? personal attacks, facebook stalking and judgement- looking for anything else to kick a family while they're down. you should be ashamed of yourselves and i should stop reading this bs. arghh!

Kathy Getto 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh, artichoke, your Jungian shadow is showing again. Tsk Tsk

Amy Heeter 2 years, 10 months ago

Don't stress about these posters. They aren't concernef with facts or empathy. They defend child molesters and baby killers, yet persecute those they don't know.

overthemoon 2 years, 10 months ago

My child would NEVER have done anything like this. But then there was that time I got an angry call at 3 AM informing me that my kid and four others and a bottle of booze had been discovered hiding in a bathroom of a friend's house. Nope, my kid would NEVER pull the sort of stunts I did when I was 15!!!

The kid is out of college now and doing just fine!! I'm sure there were other events I never knew about. Just like those my parents never caught on to.

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Why does it matter where the father or mother lives? Kid messed up big time and hurt himself in the process. Hope he gets well but gets more then a slap on the wrist from the courts and his parents.

George_Braziller 2 years, 10 months ago

Mom must be a heavy sleeper. Son leaves the house at 3 a.m., starts a car, drives away, and she doesn't realize either of them are gone?