Archive for Monday, December 26, 2011

I-70 blocked Monday morning after multiple accidents in Leavenworth County

December 26, 2011, 10:15 a.m. Updated December 26, 2011, 8:54 p.m.

Kansas Highway Patrol troopers and Leavenworth County medical crews were busy Monday morning dealing with multiple accidents on Interstate 70 east of the Tonganoxie and Eudora exit.

A dispatcher said that at 12:15 p.m., troopers reported the highway was clear. No major injuries were reported, she said.

Drivers reported the crashes were causing traffic problems between the Tonganoxie and Eudora exit and the Kansas Turnpike’s eastern terminal, which is 13 miles east of Lawrence.

Witnesses driving in the area reported seeing an accident near Bonner Springs in the eastbound lane where a vehicle went off the road. Several other accidents were reported on and off the highway west of there, possibly with vehicles rear-ending each other. Drivers via Twitter reported slick conditions on bridges Monday morning east of Lawrence.

A 31-year-old Ankeny, Iowa, man, Cristo Hinojos, was injured at 9:45 a.m. in one crash a mile west of the turnpike’s eastern terminal when a 2006 Pontiac car driven by Clayton Swann, 22, of Port Richey, Fla., rear-ended his 2006 Lexus.

In separate incidents, two others were injured in accidents one and two miles from the Lawrence service station.

A passenger of Marsha A. Smarker of Kansas City, Kan., 58-year-old Michael J. Whitfield, was injured in a 2005 Chevrolet SUV at 9:27 a.m. According to Kansas Turnpike Authority records, Smarker lost control of the SUV because of icy conditions and hit a barrier at milepost 210, one mile east of the Turnpike’s Lawrence service station.

Mary Ann St. John, 34, of Topeka, was also injured in yet another single-car accident one mile further east, at milepost 211, at 10 a.m. when she lost control of her 2002 Toyota and struck the barrier.

A KTA official said Monday night that no one was transported from the scene for medical attention in all three accidents and none of the accidents occurred in Douglas County.

Comments

irvan moore 2 years, 12 months ago

we were about 5 minutes behind the accidents, slow down for the one closest to lawrence and traffic barely moving for the one about a mile from the exit. really slick bridges in both spots

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 12 months ago

Why are people driving and tweeting? Stupid.

countrygirl 2 years, 12 months ago

Did it occur to you that the person posting might be a passenger? The post did say "we".

irvan moore 2 years, 12 months ago

, the person posting (me) was posting from home a couple of hours later, the accidents happened about 9:35 am, i'm old and don't know how to tweet so maybe you shouldn't assume others are stupid.

alex_garrison 2 years, 11 months ago

I've updated the headline now that it's been several hours. Hopefully that makes it more clear, too.

fatheadff 2 years, 11 months ago

Actually LJW the accident west of the eastern terminal at milepost 216 and 215 did result in transporting three people to the hospital including a toddler. You might start getting your information from the Leavenworth County EMS instead of the KTA.

alex_garrison 2 years, 11 months ago

There was no indication of that online or when I spoke with KTA, but I check again. Thanks for the info.

Aileen Dingus 2 years, 11 months ago

I went through there this morning just behind all those accidents. My friend (who was driving!) and I counted a total of 22 cars that were either banged up or off the road or both. Yikes!

littlexav 2 years, 11 months ago

Uh, maybe drivers shouldn't be tweeting road conditions while driving! Hello!

TikiLee 2 years, 11 months ago

Was in the traffic behind all of this- stopped for quite a while. I had plenty of time to tweet, if I'd been so inclined, as did the dozens of other drivers/passengers in the cars around me who were also stopped.

Kristen Murphy 2 years, 11 months ago

I was at the beginning of this mess. The bridges were solid ice and there was (obviously) no warnings. I was going the speed limit but slowed down b/c the cars ahead of me were slowing down only to discover I couldn't slow down. Yeah, it was scary!!!