From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Dec. 25, 1971:
Fifty Lawrence children had received a surprise visit from a black "Soul Santa" on Christmas Eve. Wearing the traditional red suit, Raymond Marshall, 1928 Delaware, had traveled through the city with four of his helpers, friends of Penn House, 1035 Pennsylvania. The organization had contributed toys and money for other gifts. Cash from Penn House donations had also been used to buy food baskets for older persons in need who had no family in town and who were not included in any other agency's Christmas list.
About 500 families in the Lawrence area were helped this year by the Salvation Army. Capt. Howard Chase, officer in charge of the Lawrence post, was pictured standing with a portion of the food and toys that were sent out to needy families in the organization's Christmas program.
As of mid-morning, the nursery at Lawrence Memorial Hospital was occupied by several Christmas Eve babies, but no newborn had yet put in an appearance to share his or her birthday with Christmas Day. Four girls had been born on Dec. 24 to four sets of proud parents: Mr. and Mrs. G. Paul Willhite, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Giffin, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Yarger, and Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Allen.