Archive for Saturday, December 24, 2011

Aisha Khan’s family giving reward to police, charity

December 24, 2011

— The family of a 19-year-old college student who mysteriously disappeared a week ago says it will donate a $10,000 reward to police and charities.

Aisha Khan disappeared while studying on the Kansas University Edwards Campus in Overland Park.

Dozens of law enforcement officers and hundreds of volunteers searched for her after she left a message for her sister saying she was being harassed by a drunken man.

Her sister and a cousin went to the campus and found Khan’s phone, book bag and iPod on a picnic table, but she was gone.

Five days later police announced they had located Khan and there was no abduction.

Family members posted a statement Friday on Facebook thanking the public for its support but asking for privacy as they try to heal.

ljwhirled 3 years, 11 months ago

But where was she? Seriously, her family used the media to try to find her. She is found. The public deserves an answer.

If her family wanted privacy, they should have waited for her to turn up. Since they ran to the public for help in a major way, they owe the public an answer as to what happened.

I don't think anyone wants gory details, but a general statement as to where she was and what the circumstances of her disappearance was is both appropriate and warranted.

"She was feeling pressure and went on a bender in an inappropriate way", would be fine. She is 19, 'nuf said.

Do she and her family really think that this won't haunt her? From now until eternity her name is going to bring up hundreds of news articles about her disappearance. Doesn't she think that employers, acquaintances and friends are going to ask about this over and over?

Just get it out there. Chalk it up to being a teen under pressure from school/family/work/etc and move on.

She made herself a celebrity through her actions and the public deserves an answer.

parrothead8 3 years, 11 months ago

The media made her a celebrity, not her. And her family didn't "use" the media to find her...the media sought out her family and friends for comments day after day. Reading a story in an online news source doesn't mean you "deserve" an answer.

Deb Engstrom 3 years, 11 months ago

Why do they owe the public anything? It is none of our business. THey did what any family would do--contacted the authorities when someone was missing. Thankfully it all turned out for the best.

adagio 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree. We don't need to know. It is none of our business.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 11 months ago

okaaaay, and how do you know this for certain, RE Aisha Khan's actions?

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 11 months ago

Check your geography please, before making allegations against an entire culture. While you're at it, check that you know from which culture this woman came. And if she were blond and pale, perhaps the same checks should be in place. If domestic violence is your point, it's hardly linked to only one culture. Point: see any number of American women, and support Jana's cause.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 11 months ago

ljwhirled, I would also wish to know just what happened, but there are a huge number of possible scenarios, and you mentioned only one.

it was absolutely appropriate for her family to seek public notice and public help, given what was known at the time.

I do wonder how the OP PD can be so certain she is safe and not being held against her will when they only checked over the phone!

LJW, I could list for you a dozen more possible explanations, and some would indeed be much better resolved with granting her privacy, such as: she had a psychotic break because of all the stress of studying, new marriage, etc.; or, there actually was a drunken dude who was a devoted stalker and she was quite scared of him, so that she was indeed the victim here. in that last scenario, privacy would be necessary for her to heal, but at the time he may have threatened those she loves with harm and so she just ran.
you want more? like I said, there're many more possibilities.

sadly, we may never know just what happened.

some of the more scarey ones might include her family disowning her or worse because of shame. and so, she ran for that reason.

I'm hoping OP PD is right, and she is okay now. she needs most of all our consideration and the freedom to heal. if she ran as you described, even in that, it was quite likely a cry for help.

jafs 3 years, 11 months ago

Well, if we follow that logic, we should get a lot more money back for a lot of things.

People who smoke in bed and set their house on fire. Kids who get drunk and wander down alleys at 2am and are victims of a crime. People who live unhealthfully and have preventable heart attacks.

Or do you just apply this idea to Muslim teenagers?

Lowell Holmes 3 years, 11 months ago

Well jafs, I would agree with holding people accountable for their actions and not just certain groups but everyone. A lifelong smoker should pay the cost of their healthcare is one I would really like to see.

jafs 3 years, 11 months ago

They are all actions that result in taxpayers paying money for things that are easily preventable if people make different choices.

Why should I pay for the fire department to come to your house and put out a fire that you caused by your own stupidity by smoking in bed?

I want my money back!

She made a choice that apparently cost taxpayers money, just as the above choices would do - if you want to hold her accountable for that, I think you should hold many others similarly accountable.

Now, if you're claiming she committed a crime, then prosecute her for it. However, I doubt you could convict her in a court of law for making a phone call to her sister, and then disappearing.

What law(s) has she broken?

Your last comment reveals the depth of your bias nicely, as I had thought.

And, for the record, I'm not Muslim, although that's really none of your business either way.

jafs 3 years, 11 months ago

No substantive response at all, and more name calling and insults.

And, you have the chutzpah to accuse me of lacking logic!

Your next conclusion is also wrong - I'm a man. But I notice you are also anti-woman.

smarty_pants 3 years, 11 months ago

Let's just hope she's not found dead as the victim of an honor killing. Sharia law allows it if the woman disgraces her family. She was most likely forced to marry. I saw one shot of her "husband" on the news. He looked like he was about 40. So it appears her family would rather she be in an arranged marriage with a much older guy than possibly have a Western boyfriend.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 11 months ago

ah ... repeating it often enough makes it true.

I got it now.

ljwhirled 3 years, 11 months ago

Like I said. They owe the public an explanation. It will also end very public speculation about arranged marriages, honor killings and other extreme explanations.

I also don't think the media made her a celebrity. She did that when she, apparently, staged her disappearance.

Media from as far away as Europe was covering the story. The public spent a large amount of money looking for her.

Technically no crime was committed, however, barely. If the family had called the police before KU did, my guess is that their would have been charges. I don't know for sure, because after creating and promoting a Facebook page with tens of thousands of followers, going on multiple TV shows, etc, etc, the family stopped talking to the public.

The silence is only adding to the speculation and prolonging the story.

parrothead8 3 years, 11 months ago

There is no compelling reason that the "public" is "owed" an explanation. The only reason you've provided is your own morbid curiosity about the details of someone's private life.

If the police aren't pressing charges and don't feel the need to provide details, then it's all good. She's safe. End of story. Go watch some "reality" television to get your jollies.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 11 months ago

and you know, for certain, that she "staged" her own disappearance.

oh wise one!

peartree 3 years, 11 months ago

I hope everyone stops "thinking up scenarios" in which MS. Kahn is either guilty or innocent of something and acting like they are owed anything by this girl. If the police have used their best judgement and given this girl privacy, the public should too. It has nothing to do with her or her family's affiliations. I am certain that the police, who are the ones who would know what happened, have it under control and directed her to the resources she may need. How sad for comments to shift from hopes of safety to blame when no one knows what happened. Instead. let's be thankful she is unharmed and has the support of the authorities is she needs it.

pace 3 years, 11 months ago

Nice of the family to donate the reward. It is none of my business what went on. I hope it all works out and I wish them the best.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 11 months ago

okay, some person finds the "arranged marriage" she had to an 'apparently' much older man offensive, so he/she/it jumps to all kinds of conclusions.

another claims, over and over and over, to know what Aisha Khan did and why.

prejudice aflame here.

Iam part of an american religious minority often accused of abusing our women, too. so I know personally how it feels to be on the receiving end of such, frequently liberal, prejudice.

thank God Aisha Khan is okay. as I said, I hope the OP PD is right. I hope she can heal. I hope she will have some peace.

and who in the heck are we to demand to know what and why?

another time, another person goes missing, we must respond in the same way as Aisha Khan's family, friends, and supporters did when nothing was known about her situation except that she was suddenly missing.