Archive for Friday, December 23, 2011

Lawrence 16-year-old injured in one-car accident just west of town

December 23, 2011, 4:20 a.m. Updated December 23, 2011, 1:16 p.m.

Emergency crews wait for a patient at the intersection of Sixth Street and Folks Road. A driver was critically injured when his car hit a tree early Friday morning; he was taken by air ambulance to a Topeka-area hospital.

A 16-year-old Lawrence boy was taken to a Topeka hospital early Friday after he lost control of his mother’s 2012 Porsche just northwest of Lawrence and struck a tree, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman said.

Sgt. Steve Lewis said Josh Boisen was driving north on East 1100 Road, an extension of Folks Road, about 4 a.m. when he lost control of the car, struck the tree and totaled the vehicle. It occurred at the intersection of North 1700 Road, which turns into Peterson Road.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical workers extricated the injured Boisen from the vehicle, and he was flown to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center.

A Stormont-Vail spokeswoman said Friday hospital officials were not authorized to disclose his condition because of the hospital’s patient privacy policy.

Lewis said officers believe speed was a factor in the crash, but it was still under investigation Friday morning.

Boisen was the car’s only occupant.

Comments

Curtis Lange 2 years, 12 months ago

bballwizard 2 years, 12 months ago

I don't think its very funny to make light when someone has been critically injured do you???

sherbert 2 years, 12 months ago

That's a dark curve and lots of deer.

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 12 months ago

The pavement there is always atrocious. Maybe not bad for the sunny summer days, but I wonder how that road holds up in the winter snow. (Answer: it doesn't.)

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 12 months ago

Whenever I read about an accident when an air ambulance is used, I worry about the possible future financial repercussions for the patient as well as about what their physical condition is going to be like later. Hopefully, there will be a complete recovery, but that does not always happen.

In many or most cases, it is very expensive to be transported by air, and not everyone has the insurance to cover it, in case it is ever necessary.

A health insurance policy is supposed to cover the portion of the cost that your car insurance policy does not. But you really can't count on that, because in some cases the decision about whether they will pay is after the fact, when the insurance company might claim that it had not been necessary.

If you have only the minimum legally required insurance policy, it is possible that you might have many years of savings wiped out by one single accident. The minimum legal requirement in Kansas is only $4,500/person for medical expenses!

So, I would certainly urge everyone to contact their car insurance company and inquire about increasing their coverage if only the minimum policy is in effect. It really isn't that expensive to get your policy limits increased.

Earlier today, about 4 AM I think, I was awake and heard a helicopter over west Lawrence, it was almost certainly the air ambulance. I did wonder what the flight was for in the middle of the night. It did not even occur to me that it might be an air ambulance.

I certainly hope the patient recovers soon - and is not wiped out financially for a few years for this one single accident!

Minimum car insurance requirements in Kansas: Clipped from: http://www.ksinsurance.org/consumers/autoinfo.htm Personal injury protection (PIP or No Fault) Minimum amount required by law: $4,500/person for medical expenses $900/month for one year for disability/loss of income $25/day for in-home services $2,000 for funeral, burial or cremation expense $4,500 for rehabilitation expense Survivor Benefits: Disability/loss of income up to $900/month for one year In-home services up to $25/day for one year

Plurilingual 2 years, 11 months ago

2012 Porsche - For some reason I doubt that this kid's family has money problems.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

The Porsche wasn't mentioned in the article when I wrote that. That was a later addition.

But that would be rather meaningless anyway. Because, some people I know bought a Mercedes Benz SLK AMG for $75,000. This was a couple years after they bought an Infiniti SUV for $49,900. They had another Mercedes Benz also, an E55 AMG. It was pretty expensive also.

Of course, they had to tell everyone all the prices. And, five years after buying the $75,000 Mercedes Benz sports car, their house was foreclosed, leaving them $750,000 in debt.

Lindabost 2 years, 12 months ago

The problem with this accident was speed, not the road. You can not make that turn at 90mph, even in a 100 thousand dollar vehicle. You will do as this car did, leave the road, cut through two trees and be very lucky to be alive. Most people who use this"cut through" do so well above the posted speed limit, endangering both themselves and those who live in our neighborhood.

parrothead8 2 years, 12 months ago

+1 We often use this road as a "cut through," and it's kind of insane how people ride my bumper as I slow down to approach that curve. I guess we're lucky that we know the road, and know that the sharp curve and poor pavement make for a difficult at best driving experience when one is going the speed limit, let alone when one is speeding.

costello 2 years, 12 months ago

"More information will be posted as its available."

Should be "it's." Maybe "it is" would be better.

Alex Parker 2 years, 12 months ago

Thanks, Costello. I blame the grammar goof on the early morning cold.

youngjayhawk 2 years, 12 months ago

This curve has been the site of several accidents over the years as traffic has increased out here; this accident has been one of the more serious ones. There are lots of young high school drivers and other (mature) drivers that use the road to cut through; lots of speeding, tailgating and inattentive driving - presenting dangers to themselves, others and the homes in our area. This driver is lucky to be alive and hopefully, others will learn from this; slow down and drive defensively.

kernal 2 years, 12 months ago

Is there a sign posted showing a curve ahead and lower speed limit?

Lindabost 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes, there is a 35 mph speed limit on the road. The curve is posted at 15mph. There are also curve signs. It is well posted both on Peterson and Folks.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

There is no way to read the signs if you are busy texting.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

That might be a good location for one of the "Traffic calming devices."

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years, 12 months ago

I thought the new age limit was 17 for a driving license? He was probably sneaking out anyway.

Peaty Romano 2 years, 11 months ago

At 16 you are restricted to 5AM to 9PM unless you are going to a job:

I hope the kid is okay regardless of anything else.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

maybe for this purpose, his parents called this "farm equipment?"
... lol

Sunny Parker 2 years, 12 months ago

Too bad parents aren't parenting anymore!

Curtis Lange 2 years, 12 months ago

Oops. Had the wrong intersection w my (deleted) roundabout comment. One would think I'd know the intersections near my house, lol.

I've seen other skid marks going into the trees at that curve before. Definitely a tricky one. Mommy/Daddy probably aren't too happy...but that is what insurance is for. At least their kid is still alive after making this mistake.

Would also like to +1 this for my continued call to massively overhaul the driver's training program...

lunacydetector 2 years, 12 months ago

i hope the kid is okay.....i saw the broken tree right after it happened.

i used to take out grandpa's old chevy when everyone was asleep. it would've been funner if grandpa had a porsche.

progressive_thinker 2 years, 11 months ago

Yup, my dad had a '68 Grand Prix......it got "tested out" a time or two....

There but by the grace of god go I............

Recover soon, but remember well

gsxr600 2 years, 12 months ago

Age 16, school just got out, Porsche, speed, 4am., alcohol?

Doing it wrong bud

Bob Forer 2 years, 11 months ago

Let's concentrate on the young man's recovery. Then, and only then, are all concerned parties due a full blown lecture on the several issues this accident raises.

Phone_Man 2 years, 11 months ago

I hope the young man get out of this Ok! However I’m sure his attitude was the same as many of the fine citizens who post frequently about how it is there right to speed. It’s NOT. Speeding can kill you or anyone around you at ANY moment. Please slow down on the city streets, country lanes, and K-10!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

I've heard suggestions that if you don't want to stop for red lights or stop signs, and also want to go as fast as you feel like, you are perfectly free to do so.

Just buy an airplane and fly to the places you want to go to. Then, none of the above apply.

Kris Craven 2 years, 11 months ago

I have slide my car into that ditch on that very corner. While there were likely several other factors involved, you gotta be careful on that turn. I hope he's ok.

lily 2 years, 11 months ago

I hope he recovers quickly and completely. Hard lesson learned. Young ones think they are immortal.

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

It's that 16 year old story again, 3rd one in the last month around Lawrence. One on east 15th, one on K-10 east. Insurance companies will tell it's the worst age; even worse than 14 and 15 year olds. Best wishes on his recovery!

greenworld 2 years, 11 months ago

I blame it on the car not the kid that captured a moment that he was Kyle Busch.

melissabphd 2 years, 11 months ago

For those concerned- Josh is going to be fine. He has six broken ribs, a partially collapsed lung and lesions on his kidney and spleen. Josh is an awesome kid and loved much by his family and friends. We are filled with gratitude that Josh is alive and able to recover from his injuries. The car can be replaced (someday) but no one can replace my son.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 11 months ago

Thank you very much for the update, I'll be thinking of him and your family. Hope his recovery is as quick and painless as possible.

grammaddy 2 years, 11 months ago

Good news.The last line says it all.Happy Holidays!

youngjayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for sharing the update with us. We are all pulling for your son's recovery and are just so grateful that he is alive; puts life in perspective for all of us and reminds us how precious each day is.

DRsmith 2 years, 11 months ago

Glad your son is doing good. Can you tell exactly what was going through your mind when you decided to let a 16 year old drive a 2012 Porsche? I am just curious. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I am just hoping he stole it, otherwise it doesn't say much for your parenting skills. Either that or maybe I just don't know how the 1% lives.

jackpot 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the update. A lot of people out here pulling for him to recover fully.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

Mellissa, this is indeed good news. sad that classwarfare envy is being applied to you. we all used to be americans together.

anyway, I hope he works hard at his rehabilitation, he'll be at it for a while, and he's going to need a lot of encouragement to get through it all successfully.

if you have a younger child, don't give himher the keys to such a vehicle until age 21 at least, maybe later if necessary. and keep the keys under your own possession at all times.

good luck.

Russell Fryberger 2 years, 11 months ago

16 year old + Porshe = disaster .

I hope the boy recovers, kids will be kids. I just hope he snuck out with the keys and wasn't turned loose with a big toy like that.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

This is a rather tasteless comment: It's a good thing he didn't end up anything like 18 year old Nicole Catsouras (Nikki) !

For years she has been an internet sensation among those who enjoy gruesome images, known as 'The Porsche Girl'. She had a stressful moment in her life, and took her father's brand new Porsche out for a spin. She had been given very specific instructions about exactly when she was allowed to use her father's brand new $150,000 Porsche: Never!

But she picked up the keys and went for a drive anyway.

The result of that unwise decision has caused her parents no end of grief due to the constant reminders of their daughter's tragic death. Cruel people have even gone so far as to send emails to her family, which when opened, contained some of the vivid photographs of their daughter's body after the accident.

A large number of very tasteless and gruesome images of "The Porsche Girl" are widely available on the web.

The accident was caused by her driving the car at a jaw dropping speed while making an illegal maneuver, slightly losing control, and then bumping another car. That sent her father's new Porsche in an unintended direction, resulting in a set of amazingly incredibly gruesome images of a car crash that are in incredibly detailed resolution.

The only bright side to the accident is that no other drivers injuries were injured. But, according to 'Newsweek', the Catsouras "accident was so gruesome the coroner wouldn't allow her parents to identify their daughter's body."

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

Damn, I always leave in an extra word! I gotta get over that!

juma 2 years, 11 months ago

Agree with Lindabost. I also live on this road and constantly have to worry about the idiots who use this "shortcut" at speeds well above the limit. Needs some speed control not new road. Hope the boy is OK and his parents learn from this.

jackpot 2 years, 11 months ago

Someone did put speed control in, right where you go from north to eastbound. Oh sorry, that was the patch job not speed control.

Dixie Jones 2 years, 11 months ago

Heres to a speedy recovery Josh, im sure his punnishment is the least of his parents worry at this point and time , and until then (which is none of anyones business) lets stop judging people whom we have no clue about.... you know what they say about assume.. i have to agree with melissa material things can be replaced her son can not ...his lesson has been taught.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

sorry, P&C, hate to disaggree:

I hope that others will learn from this, and there'll be consequently fewer drivers out driving like this threatening all of us.

whether that means parents of our community make wiser decisions about giving the keys to their kids, locking up the keys, or if it means kids get a better clue not to be out driving like this. then, so be it.

i

cboisen 2 years, 11 months ago

I have been trying incredibly hard to not comment on this story, but after reading the ignorance of some of these posts I cannot help myself anymore. I am asking that the comments concerning my mother's parenting skills cease immediately. She has the biggest heart in the world (anyone who knows her would agree), and I will never hesitate to say that the best gift my brother and I have ever received is having her as our mother. Regardless of the poor decisions my brother made that night, in no way should it reflect on her parenting. The fact that people, having no idea of any circumstances or ANYTHING regarding my family, feel the need to make ignorant comments is painful. But all that aside, the only thing we can focus on now is Josh's recovery. As a family. Thank you all for the kind words and well wishes. Happy Holidays and may 2012 bring us all peace and joy.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

we simply don't want to see more drivers out on the road like he was that night.

yes, I'm glad he's going to recover, and he's incredibly lucky.

but there were events which led up to his accident.

4am, 16-year-old, etc., seems quite possibly preventable.

aweiss 2 years, 11 months ago

It has been very hard for me as well reading all of the nasty and inconsiderate assumptions being made here and I am just a friend. You do have a wonderful mother and your brother is a great person as well. No other person here has walked in your family's shoes, so they don't have a clue how hurtful they really are. It's amazing that everyone knows how to prevent something like this from happening after it is done. We must be in the presence of "perfect" parents that can foresee what their kids do beforehand. I guess their kids never did anything regrettable behind their backs. Oh, but wait, maybe they just didn't get caught. What a thought! We are praying that Josh will make a full recovery and that peace will come to your family. We love you guys...stay strong!