Archive for Friday, December 23, 2011

Lawrence 16-year-old injured in one-car accident just west of town

December 23, 2011, 4:20 a.m. Updated December 23, 2011, 1:16 p.m.

Emergency crews wait for a patient at the intersection of Sixth Street and Folks Road. A driver was critically injured when his car hit a tree early Friday morning; he was taken by air ambulance to a Topeka-area hospital.

A 16-year-old Lawrence boy was taken to a Topeka hospital early Friday after he lost control of his mother’s 2012 Porsche just northwest of Lawrence and struck a tree, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman said.

Sgt. Steve Lewis said Josh Boisen was driving north on East 1100 Road, an extension of Folks Road, about 4 a.m. when he lost control of the car, struck the tree and totaled the vehicle. It occurred at the intersection of North 1700 Road, which turns into Peterson Road.

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical workers extricated the injured Boisen from the vehicle, and he was flown to Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center.

A Stormont-Vail spokeswoman said Friday hospital officials were not authorized to disclose his condition because of the hospital’s patient privacy policy.

Lewis said officers believe speed was a factor in the crash, but it was still under investigation Friday morning.

Boisen was the car’s only occupant.

Comments

cboisen 2 years, 3 months ago

I have been trying incredibly hard to not comment on this story, but after reading the ignorance of some of these posts I cannot help myself anymore. I am asking that the comments concerning my mother's parenting skills cease immediately. She has the biggest heart in the world (anyone who knows her would agree), and I will never hesitate to say that the best gift my brother and I have ever received is having her as our mother. Regardless of the poor decisions my brother made that night, in no way should it reflect on her parenting. The fact that people, having no idea of any circumstances or ANYTHING regarding my family, feel the need to make ignorant comments is painful. But all that aside, the only thing we can focus on now is Josh's recovery. As a family. Thank you all for the kind words and well wishes. Happy Holidays and may 2012 bring us all peace and joy.

Dixie Jones 2 years, 3 months ago

Heres to a speedy recovery Josh, im sure his punnishment is the least of his parents worry at this point and time , and until then (which is none of anyones business) lets stop judging people whom we have no clue about.... you know what they say about assume.. i have to agree with melissa material things can be replaced her son can not ...his lesson has been taught.

observant 2 years, 3 months ago

If you are too stupid to see right angle curve, tough. hope you survive trees and learn from your stupidity. Side note to parents, make your little angel pay 100% for replacement Porsche, maybe that will teach him something.

juma 2 years, 3 months ago

Agree with Lindabost. I also live on this road and constantly have to worry about the idiots who use this "shortcut" at speeds well above the limit. Needs some speed control not new road. Hope the boy is OK and his parents learn from this.

Russell Fryberger 2 years, 3 months ago

16 year old + Porshe = disaster .

I hope the boy recovers, kids will be kids. I just hope he snuck out with the keys and wasn't turned loose with a big toy like that.

melissabphd 2 years, 3 months ago

For those concerned- Josh is going to be fine. He has six broken ribs, a partially collapsed lung and lesions on his kidney and spleen. Josh is an awesome kid and loved much by his family and friends. We are filled with gratitude that Josh is alive and able to recover from his injuries. The car can be replaced (someday) but no one can replace my son.

Pywacket 2 years, 3 months ago

Any updates on the kid's condition? Hoping no news is good news.

greenworld 2 years, 3 months ago

I blame it on the car not the kid that captured a moment that he was Kyle Busch.

blindrabbit 2 years, 3 months ago

It's that 16 year old story again, 3rd one in the last month around Lawrence. One on east 15th, one on K-10 east. Insurance companies will tell it's the worst age; even worse than 14 and 15 year olds. Best wishes on his recovery!

lily 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope he recovers quickly and completely. Hard lesson learned. Young ones think they are immortal.

Kris Craven 2 years, 3 months ago

I have slide my car into that ditch on that very corner. While there were likely several other factors involved, you gotta be careful on that turn. I hope he's ok.

Phone_Man 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope the young man get out of this Ok! However I’m sure his attitude was the same as many of the fine citizens who post frequently about how it is there right to speed. It’s NOT. Speeding can kill you or anyone around you at ANY moment. Please slow down on the city streets, country lanes, and K-10!

Bob Forer 2 years, 3 months ago

Let's concentrate on the young man's recovery. Then, and only then, are all concerned parties due a full blown lecture on the several issues this accident raises.

gsxr600 2 years, 3 months ago

Age 16, school just got out, Porsche, speed, 4am., alcohol?

Doing it wrong bud

lunacydetector 2 years, 3 months ago

i hope the kid is okay.....i saw the broken tree right after it happened.

i used to take out grandpa's old chevy when everyone was asleep. it would've been funner if grandpa had a porsche.

Curtis Lange 2 years, 3 months ago

Oops. Had the wrong intersection w my (deleted) roundabout comment. One would think I'd know the intersections near my house, lol.

I've seen other skid marks going into the trees at that curve before. Definitely a tricky one. Mommy/Daddy probably aren't too happy...but that is what insurance is for. At least their kid is still alive after making this mistake.

Would also like to +1 this for my continued call to massively overhaul the driver's training program...

sunny 2 years, 3 months ago

Too bad parents aren't parenting anymore!

Norma Jeane Baker 2 years, 3 months ago

16-year old out at 4:00am, in his mother's 2012 Porsche? Seriously? My parents would have never let me drive a new car that late after having my license for, what, days? weeks? months?

sunny 2 years, 3 months ago

16 year old out at 4:00am? hmmm

hitme 2 years, 3 months ago

Risky Business Let's start at the beginning. A 16 year-old 4:00am Porsche

Who's the submarine commander?

youngjayhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

This curve has been the site of several accidents over the years as traffic has increased out here; this accident has been one of the more serious ones. There are lots of young high school drivers and other (mature) drivers that use the road to cut through; lots of speeding, tailgating and inattentive driving - presenting dangers to themselves, others and the homes in our area. This driver is lucky to be alive and hopefully, others will learn from this; slow down and drive defensively.

costello 2 years, 3 months ago

"More information will be posted as its available."

Should be "it's." Maybe "it is" would be better.

Lindabost 2 years, 3 months ago

The problem with this accident was speed, not the road. You can not make that turn at 90mph, even in a 100 thousand dollar vehicle. You will do as this car did, leave the road, cut through two trees and be very lucky to be alive. Most people who use this"cut through" do so well above the posted speed limit, endangering both themselves and those who live in our neighborhood.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 3 months ago

Whenever I read about an accident when an air ambulance is used, I worry about the possible future financial repercussions for the patient as well as about what their physical condition is going to be like later. Hopefully, there will be a complete recovery, but that does not always happen.

In many or most cases, it is very expensive to be transported by air, and not everyone has the insurance to cover it, in case it is ever necessary.

A health insurance policy is supposed to cover the portion of the cost that your car insurance policy does not. But you really can't count on that, because in some cases the decision about whether they will pay is after the fact, when the insurance company might claim that it had not been necessary.

If you have only the minimum legally required insurance policy, it is possible that you might have many years of savings wiped out by one single accident. The minimum legal requirement in Kansas is only $4,500/person for medical expenses!

So, I would certainly urge everyone to contact their car insurance company and inquire about increasing their coverage if only the minimum policy is in effect. It really isn't that expensive to get your policy limits increased.

Earlier today, about 4 AM I think, I was awake and heard a helicopter over west Lawrence, it was almost certainly the air ambulance. I did wonder what the flight was for in the middle of the night. It did not even occur to me that it might be an air ambulance.

I certainly hope the patient recovers soon - and is not wiped out financially for a few years for this one single accident!

Minimum car insurance requirements in Kansas: Clipped from: http://www.ksinsurance.org/consumers/autoinfo.htm Personal injury protection (PIP or No Fault) Minimum amount required by law: $4,500/person for medical expenses $900/month for one year for disability/loss of income $25/day for in-home services $2,000 for funeral, burial or cremation expense $4,500 for rehabilitation expense Survivor Benefits: Disability/loss of income up to $900/month for one year In-home services up to $25/day for one year

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 3 months ago

The pavement there is always atrocious. Maybe not bad for the sunny summer days, but I wonder how that road holds up in the winter snow. (Answer: it doesn't.)

sherbert 2 years, 3 months ago

That's a dark curve and lots of deer.

Curtis Lange 2 years, 3 months ago