Archive for Thursday, December 22, 2011

Romney ignores Gingrich’s taunts

December 22, 2011

— Mitt Romney, seemingly happy with how the Republican presidential campaign is playing out, is not explaining or apologizing for TV attack ads paid for by his allies that have damaged his chief rival’s political standing 12 days before the Iowa caucuses.

Whether he’s the true front-runner or not, Romney is acting like one. He refuses to be dragged into debates about the campaign’s tone, high-stakes brinkmanship in Congress over a payroll tax dispute — or into a one-on-one debate sought by Newt Gingrich.

The former Massachusetts governor on Thursday shrugged off Gingrich’s complaints about the ads and Romney’s reluctance to weigh in on the political standoff over extending payroll tax cuts, which lawmakers late in the day appeared to be resolving just in time to head off a hit on workers’ paychecks Jan. 1.

Gingrich, the former House speaker, has repeatedly called on Romney to face him before cameras and defend the ads, which are largely financed by a heavily bankrolled group friendly to Romney.

“We’ve had many occasions to debate together, and we’ll have more, I presume quite a few more, before this is finished,” Romney told The Associated Press. “But I’m not going to narrow this down to a two-person race while there are still a number of other candidates that are viable.”

Some party insiders expect a strong showing in the lead-off Iowa caucuses Jan. 3 by libertarian-leaning Rep. Ron Paul of Texas. But they generally see Gingrich, a prominent GOP figure for more than 30 years, as having the best chance to compete with Romney for weeks or months.

Gingrich and Romney planned to campaign through today, underscoring the stakes for both candidates even as the pace by the crowded field began to lighten for Christmas weekend. The barrage of ads, though, kept up in Iowa and New Hampshire.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

One thing about this Republican field-- there is no shortage of fodder for negative advertising, and pretty much no basis for any candidate to counter it with positive messages.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 3 years, 7 months ago

Romney is running a fairly intense 3-monkeys campaign. Keeping his mouth well shut is certainly his biggest asset though he is forced to open that maw, on occasion, if only to flash that flush of porcelain in his dismissive mouth. Still, he's doing his best to see, hear and speak no evil that can be associated with his person. His only Republican competition would be a late entry into the race by a 6' 2", enameled Ken doll...with no holes in it's corporate "person"...only cracks at its lame points of articulation.

ThePilgrim 3 years, 7 months ago

I tire of these "news" stories about the campaign - "So and so said such and such about..." These are not news stories, but campaign propaganda - free advertising for the candidate.

I will be so glad when 2012 is over.

JayhawkFan1985 3 years, 7 months ago

Pilgrim, constant vigilance is the price we pay for living in a democracy. To preempt some responses, a republic is a form of representative democracy.

verity 3 years, 7 months ago

"constant vigilance"

It bears repeating again and again so we don't forget.

I am bored by the constant campaigning. I am not bored by a reminder that I need to know what's going on.

JayhawkFan1985 3 years, 7 months ago

Babboy,

Actually, I don't talk like that. I was trying to quote something I do remember learning a long time ago. I don't think it was in a political science class though, more likely it was in a movie. I also was trying to make a statement to counter Pilgram's apparent apathy. It is the apathy of too many American citizens over the age of 18 that got us in to this mess (AKA Brownback as Governor and Bush 2 as the previous President). It is only by active engagement in the political process will we have a chance of pulling ourselves out of these problems. I almost completely disagree with the Tea Party, but I did and still do admire the willingness of so many people to make their voices heard. I am concerned that the rumors the Koch Brothers are financing the Tea Party. I am also very optomistic about the Occupy Wall Street movement...though it is still too early to tell about them.

JayhawkFan1985 3 years, 7 months ago