Archive for Thursday, December 22, 2011

Aisha Khan’s in-laws know little about why she disappeared

December 22, 2011

— The mother-in-law of a 19-year-old Kansas student who police tracked down after an exhaustive search says she is waiting to learn what happened.

Fouzia Khan said Thursday she was relieved that Aisha Khan of the Kansas City suburb of Olathe was fine and that she is eager to talk to her daughter-in-law. She says police have provided few details.

Overland Park police released a statement late Wednesday saying law enforcement officials personally contacted Aisha Khan and verified her identity, safety. They also said she had never been abducted or held against her will.

No details were released about where Aisha Khan is now or where she'd been since she was reported missing Friday from a satellite campus for the University of Kansas. Police say no charges will be filed.

Comments

GD4TREY 3 years ago

Happily married? Maybe not, could possibly been an arranged marriage she didn't want? She was married just two weeks ago.

beatrice 3 years ago

Are you talking about Kim Kardashian now? Talk about someone who should go missing.

jackpot 3 years ago

May never know what was going on.

bearded_gnome 3 years ago

indeed not.
many possible scenarios.

but I am suspicious: how do the police check for sure over the phone to see if you are safe, not being held against your will, not under threat by some crazy dude, etc.

Haiku_Cuckoo 3 years ago

I read on another site (I think maybe ABC News) that the police met with her in person rather than over the phone to verify her identity.

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years ago

Tom Huyser 3 years ago

It could happen if the police were contacted by a group that is known to them, whose purpose is to rescue and hide women from abusive marraiges.

Haiku_Cuckoo 3 years ago

I'm embarrassed that I allowed myself to get emotionally caught up in what turned out to be a ruse. I swore I wouldn't let it happen again after I fell for that balloon boy incident a couple years back.

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years ago

I'm surprised my comment here was removed, and a little offended. It makes me take a second thought about if I should continue to comment and read LJ-World stories. (This isn't a sob story for everyone else; I agree patronage is a personal choice. It's more directed at LJ-World staff.)

I said that as a Christian, I was impressed by the Muslim faith, and that Muslims don't deserve undue prejudice. I certainly don't pray five times a day all the time, I said, and that Fred Phelps is a perfect example of Christians pointing the finger at Muslims without looking inward first.

Maybe I'm forgetting some personal attack on the original poster (his comment was also removed), but I don't think so. Frankly, I think reading the anti-Muslim comments ("justanotherface" at 1:58 p.m. for example, which has been up for 3 hours now) on this site need a counter-point, which I am (was?) happy to provide.