Archive for Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Traffic-calming devices for Crescent Road mulled

December 21, 2011

City commissioners unanimously agreed to place the section of Crescent Road near Kansas University on a list of areas to receive future traffic-calming measures.

But commissioners also told staff members to investigate adding more police patrols, a flashing beacon and other measures to get motorists to slow down along the 20-mile-per-hour street, which gets heavy pedestrian usage because of its proximity to the university.

Commissioners told neighbors that they did not have any funding to immediately add speed bumps or other traffic-calming devices to the street. Funding likely won’t become available for another year or more, commissioners said.

Comments

oneflewover 3 years, 8 months ago

I love going 30 over the "traffic calming devices" on Harvard, especially when the whiny residents are out to see. I am not speeding, however going over those bumps at 30mph makes it look like you're going 50 and being reckless as hell.

parrothead8 3 years, 8 months ago

The only thing that should be mulled is wine.

LogicMan 3 years, 8 months ago

Eliminate Engel Road between Crescent and 15th and that and a big problem at 15th and Engel are nearly solved. Turn it into a pedestrian mall that can be crossed by emergency vehicles. The church will need to add a gated entrance to its parking garage.

hujiko 3 years, 8 months ago

Two years ago at a WBC counter-protest, one young lady had a sign that read "God hates 15th and Engel."

I about blew a gasket.

Lenette Hamm 3 years, 8 months ago

I find "traffic calming devices" to be annoying at best and dangerous as well. Circles are the worst. Just this morning I was past the middle of the one at 19th and Barker heading north, and about got plowed into by huge west-bound truck who 1) wasn't paying attention or 2) has no clue how to drive through one. Not that my vote ever counts, but I'd say NO to any others even remotely being considered!!!

coderob 3 years, 8 months ago

I hope the city commission is using traffic calming in the broader sense of the word. Put in more speed bumps on one road and it will just divert traffic to the next one. Curb extensions, one of many traffic calming devices, might be a tool to use since people automatically slow down when going through narrow spaces. Better bus service to the university and increased on campus parking prices are two other options.

Personally, I always thought that Crescent always needed sidewalks on both sides so you didn't have so many people walking in the middle of the street. Building the sidewalks out could achieve street narrowing that would slow people down, and also make it more accessible for pedestrians.

LogicMan 3 years, 8 months ago

Trimming the trees way back would help too.