Archive for Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Statue of Liberty replica in rural Kansas restored

December 21, 2011

— A Statue of Liberty replica in north-central Kansas has been restored after someone used it for target practice.

"Liberty of the Plains," a small copy of the Statue of Liberty, along U.S. 281 south of Smith Center, Kan., faces south overlooking farmland and pastures and the community of Harlan, Kan., in this file photo.

Marci Penner, executive director of the Inman-based Kansas Sampler Foundation, says the statue stood in a rest area overlooking a valley between the small Smith County towns of Gaylord and unincorporated Harlan.

Boy Scouts erected the statue in the 1950s. After it was damaged, people began sending money from all over and the statue was taken to a body shop for repair.

Concrete-repair work is needed before the statue can be reinstalled.

Caretakers of the site hope to use whatever money is left over from the repairs to plant trees.

Comments

Haiku_Cuckoo 2 years, 3 months ago

To the hillbillies who shot Lady Liberty: When she said "Give me your poor, huddled, toothless, uneducated masses", she was referring to you specifically. If you can't appreciate that, then you might as well go ahead and burn an American flag, too.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

I certainly do remember this particular statue, in fact, I was thinking about it within the last couple weeks. I stopped and looked at it a few times as I went past.

Actually though, I had forgotten exactly where it was - I just remembered that it was somewhere on the "shortcut drive" from St. Francis, Kansas to Lawrence.

Although that route is shorter than driving on the Interstate it takes a bit longer to get here. That's because the speed limit is lower, but I got much better gas mileage by driving just a bit slower, and therefore I saved money.

CharlesinCharge 2 years, 4 months ago

There is/was one in Leavenworth in front of the post office downtown. I am not sure if it is still there.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 4 months ago

I'm seriously amazed the xenophobes in this state bothered, given the poem that's inscribed on the original statue.

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, With conquering limbs astride from land to land; Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame. "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

verity 2 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the information, posters. A little bit of history that I didn't know and will look for now.

riverdrifter 2 years, 4 months ago

Informed: sounds like there's at least three. This one is in a small roadside pull-off far from anywhere so it's vulnerable to vandalism. Though this location is one fine spot they might want to consider moving it to a local city park.

blue73harley 2 years, 4 months ago

There used to be one at Shawnee Mission North HS.

Norma Jeane Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

How many of them are located in KS? I know it's at least two.

riverdrifter 2 years, 4 months ago

I read this article and it was deja vu all over again: not the first time this statue has been shot up and then repaired. Same thing happened 20 years or so ago. Wonder, suppose it's the same sick-o? "a conservator notes that "her face isn't as mature as the real Liberty. It's rounder and more like a little girl's". That's for sure. Those things have a mug as homely as Regan MacNeil's in the flying bed scene from The Exorcist.

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 4 months ago

The Boy Scouts of America celebrated their fortieth anniversary in 1950 with the theme of "Strengthen the Arm of Liberty". Between 1949 and 1952, approximately two hundred 100-inch (2.5 m) replicas of the statue, made of stamped copper, were purchased by Boy Scout troops and donated in 39 states in the U.S. and several of its possessions and territories. The project was the brainchild of Kansas City businessman J.P. Whitaker, who was then Scout Commissioner of the Kansas City Area Council. The copper statues were manufactured by Friedley-Voshardt Co. (Chicago, Illinois) and purchased through the Kansas City Boy Scout office by those wanting one. The statues are approximately 8½ feet (2.6 m) tall without the base, are constructed of sheet copper, weigh 290 pounds (130 kg), and originally cost $350 plus freight. The mass-produced statues are not great art nor meticulously accurate (a conservator notes that "her face isn't as mature as the real Liberty. It's rounder and more like a little girl's"), but they are cherished, particularly since 9/11. Many have been lost or destroyed, but preservationists have been able to account for about a hundred of them, and BSA Troop 101 of Cheyenne, Wyoming, has collected photographs of over 100 of them.

ShePrecedes 2 years, 4 months ago

There is also one in LaCross, Kansas.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 4 months ago

Glad it wasn't a hunter, just some SLOB with something he shouldn't own