Archive for Wednesday, December 21, 2011

State officials warn about foreign lottery scams

December 21, 2011

Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt’s office and Kansas Lottery officials Wednesday warned Kansans about foreign lottery scams in the state.

Schmidt said state officials received in recent days an increasing number of complaints about foreign lotteries, but the attorney general said those solicitations are scams.

“Consumers should never believe phone calls or emails saying they have won a foreign lottery,” Schmidt said Wednesday in a consumer alert. “These are scams and violations of Kansas law.”

According to Schmidt’s office, scam artists in a call or email will notify someone that they have won a large sum in a foreign lottery or drawing in another country. The scam artist will then ask for the “winner” to send a small amount of money to pay taxes or process the award. But likely the scam artists are soliciting bank account information to try to make unauthorized withdrawals.

“The Kansas Lottery is the only legally operating lottery in the state,” said Dennis Wilson, executive director of the Kansas Lottery. “One of the easiest ways to detect a scam is knowing that lottery officials will never ask you for money up-front to collect a prize and will never ask for banking information over the phone.”

Officials are asking anyone who believes he or she is a victim of the lottery scam to contact the attorney general’s consumer protection division at 1-800-432-2310 or ksag.org.

Comments

UNIKU 3 years, 5 months ago

Seriously - in this day and age, if you fall for this you deserve to have your money taken! C'mooooonnn people!

sierraclub 3 years, 5 months ago

+1, that is exactly what I was going to say!!

jhawkinsf 3 years, 5 months ago

The elderly are still very much at risk. No one "deserves" to be victimized by thieves.

parrothead8 3 years, 5 months ago

Whatever. Despite not having bought a ticket or even knowing how I would get one, I know I just won the Nigerian lottery, and it makes total sense that I should pony up $10 grand to get my prize. You guys are just jealous.

50YearResident 3 years, 5 months ago

Ha Ha, I got 10 million USD and I didn't even have to win a lottery and it only cost me $2000 to pay the transfer agent. I am asisting a Nigerian widow woman set up some charitys here in the US of $20 million to honor her dead husband and I get half for the work. Isn't that great! Oops, she said not to tell anyone so don't pass this information on to anybody. Thanks

50YearResident 3 years, 5 months ago

The money is due any day now by American Express. I can't hardly wait.....

Evan Ridenour 3 years, 5 months ago

If anyone offers you free money, it is a scam. Duh. How stupid are people?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 5 months ago

This post pre-removed for using a vulgar sexual term to describe a disappointed progressive.

labmonkey 3 years, 5 months ago

To see stupid, lazy people who want money for nothing, just look at any OCCUPY camp.

beatrice 3 years, 5 months ago

As George Carlin said, consider how stupid the average person is. Then realize that half of the people are even dumber than that.

It is still a good idea to remind the elderly to be careful, since they too often trust people who contact them via e-mail.

iron_outlaw 3 years, 5 months ago

All of the previous posters have just won the LJW lottery. Just send me 29.95 plus s/h.

Katara 3 years, 5 months ago

Great! Will you accept 5 easy payments of just $5.99 each?

MuggsMcGinnis 3 years, 5 months ago

Some people, for one reason or another, don't understand that people would lie to them and try to cheat them. Sometimes they are just old, or of diminished capacity. This is no different from robbing old ladies. Anyone who thinks anyone could deserve to be cheated of their savings seems to be lacking in fundamental decency. What a vile and disgusting opinion to possess, much less express.