Archive for Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Missing student Aisha Khan found safe

December 21, 2011, 11:09 p.m. Updated December 22, 2011, 1:27 a.m.

Statement from Kansas University

“It’s the best news we could have received. We’re happy for the family and grateful to the campus and Overland Park police who worked so hard to make sure she came home safe.”

— Jill Jess, director of the KU News Service

Aisha Khan was reported missing on Dec. 16, 2011.

Aisha Khan was reported missing on Dec. 16, 2011.

— A 19-year-old woman reported missing from the University of Kansas’ Overland Park campus last week has been found safe, and police say she was never abducted.

Overland Park police released a statement late Wednesday saying law enforcement officials personally contacted Aisha Khan and verified her identity, safety and that she’d never been taken or held against her will.

No details were released about where Khan is now or where she’d been since she was reported missing Friday, though the statement said no charges would be filed. Police spokesman Sean Reilly said he couldn’t provide additional information.

Police had been looking for the woman since Friday, when she left her sister a voicemail saying she’d slapped a man who tried to kiss her while she was studying outside. When the sister drove to get her, she found only Khan’s book bag and cellphone.

Khan, a student at Johnson County Community at College, had been studying on the university’s campus that morning. She lived in nearby Olathe.

Local police, along with the FBI, had been investigating the case as an abduction and had devoted hundreds of hours to finding Khan. Her family and friends had made several public appeals for help, including earlier Wednesday.

The Kansas City Star reported that as of about 9:30 p.m., her family hadn’t heard about Khan being found. But they gathered later Wednesday night at a local hotel that had served as search headquarters, sharing hugs about the news. Her relatives told the newspaper they had been questioned at length by police and the FBI.

Family friend Aamer Trambu said he couldn’t answer questions about how Khan was found, but said “the fact is, she’s alive, she’s well. We believe our prayers have been answered.”

Comments

Roland Gunslinger 3 years ago

Odd. Something fishy here. I'm glad to see that she is safe and not harmed... but who just disappears for a few days, leaves their bag and phone behind sitting on a table, knowing your family is worried sick?

bradh 3 years ago

I listened to one of their pleas for their daughter's release. In that plea and subsequent talking to the media the family and friends indicated that the woman had said she was being followed by a scary man and I believe said there was the sound of a struggle. They went on to blame KU for not having security cameras covering the whole campus (security cameras the media told us were going up shortly). I wonder why a JCCC student was on the KU campus in any event, it's a little closer than JCCC would be, but not that much. I would think several public libraries would have been closer.

I'm glad the woman is all right, it definitely sounds like she set up the whole thing and left her family and friends hanging. Although I remember thinking at the time that the family and friends didn't seem as upset as I would have thought they would be. I just thought they were cool under pressure. It makes me wonder now if they didn't have some inkling of what was going on and did the press conferences/pleas to save face.

parrothead8 3 years ago

Most other stories mentioned that she was also taking classes at KU-Edwards, which is why she would have been on that campus.

doc1 3 years ago

Amesmb 3 years ago

Let's not judge so quickly. We don't know what happened and aren't likely to since the situation has been taken so let's just put it to rest. Glad she's safe. I'm sure her family and friends are beyond relieved.

Steve Jacob 3 years ago

I called it! Post on Monday at 10:55 AM I said "I am hoping she got stressed out a took a break from life and is hiding out somewhere. 19 years old, married, finals. A lot going on at a young age."

PrettyTony 3 years ago

DRsmith 3 years ago

I knew it. Seemed way too odd. Good job wasting resources. JC should prosecute if possible.

Stuart Evans 3 years ago

prosecute for what? An adult, in America, went off to do whatever she wanted, and didn't tell her family; so what!?

grammaddy 3 years ago

Es pecially from Muslims. We must watch them at all times, we can't have them sneaking off to practice their religion or something. They might try to convert good Americans or something. lol

TopJayhawk 3 years ago

Give it up grammaddy. You are so lame. She should be prosecuted for wasting public rescources if she just disappeared for a fling or to take a break.

Wait and see what the details are of course, but it is not a dumb statement of the face of it.

Yours, as usual was.

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years ago

If she went off to do whatever she wanted, after calling her sister about a dangerous man and leaving her backpack behind to stage an abduction, then she wasted precious resources and interfered with a police investigation, and might have drawn officers to search for her when they could have been fighting crime. She deserves prosecution if that was the case, yes.

B U T we don't know what happened at all. We should reserve judgement until we do. People who are physically or emotionally hurt do irrational things, too, or maybe it was all somehow a misunderstanding, although I doubt that last possibility.

Stuart Evans 3 years ago

you're embarrassed for me? What did I say that is nonsensical? The fact that an adult in America can come and go as they please? Sure the phone call to her sister seems odd, but she didn't tell her to call the police, and she didn't call the police herself to report a crime. And YOU, and everyone else, don't have a clue about the circumstances.

Additionally, I have no idea what Ashton had to say about the molester central in PA, and really don't care.

Phone_Man 3 years ago

WOW, I agree with Cheeseburger for a change. I'm glad she is home, however we should not encourage staging a scene to drop out of life for a few days.

Stuart Evans 3 years ago

the police do that very same thing day in and day out in this country. The truth is; most people who go missing are not abducted, and do just go on a "temporary vacation" from their problems.

would you rather the police were busy pepper-spraying protestors, or maybe breaking down someones door, and killing the family pet over a little weed? The public resources are squandered daily on BS; this particular case is exactly the type of thing that I don't mind seeing it "wasted" on.

Phone_Man 3 years ago

If the Protesters get out of hand and are not peacefully assembled ABSOLUTELY! Weed is not legal therefore the breaking in of doors and the killing of the family pet is the fault of the person with the weed not the police. If you break the law then expect to pay the consequences (not you personally unless you break the law) To quote the movie Liar Liar “ STOP BREAKING THE LAW A-Hole” (Again not you personally unless you do)

Bob Forer 3 years ago

Maybe she was running away from the sexist abuse prevalent in some fundamentalist Muslim households.

Abdu Omar 3 years ago

Oh Come On. Why do you jump on the Muslim bashing band wagon. Your supposition is totally without foundation. She comes from a very caring and loving family. No one is abusing any one except you. So stop it!

kawrivercrow 3 years ago

It was an arranged marriage*. It is no secret that while she may be 'loved and cared for', so are horses, cattle and chickens...as property held by the owners. There are some stark similarity between women and livestock in fundy Muslim cultures, although the enlightened Left is to self-suppressed to come out and say it.

It would be interesting to do some single-blinded sociology studies describing case studies of female oppression and abuse.

Imagine if two otherwise identical case studies involving female suppression and domination were compared side-by-side, one highlighting the identical details of the wife of a Texas preacher and one involving a Californian imam and see how the Far Left expresses outrage at one but not the other.

• per other news sources.

ksjayhawk74 3 years ago

Maybe that's a racist, ignorant statement?

Beth Ennis 3 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, but not in a muslim bashing way. We've seen a lot of instances of this in our country. What is ok in their native country is not ok here, but they want to continue to do it. I don't see that as bashing muslims, they are not all like this. In face, I'm sure the ones that abuse their women are in the minority. It's just a thought that went through my head when it first came out. I didn't take the above statement to be muslim bashing at all. Sych said in SOME ....households. I would say that wounded is the one who jumped on a band wagon here. At any rate, the important thing is that she is safe and sound. Whatever the issue is/was, I hope she can work it out. As to people wanting to know, it's human nature to want to know after a news story has been plastered all over the country (yes, this one made national news). It did cost a lot of agencies some money and KU is now going to be putting up security cameras. That is costing the tax payers of the state of Kansas money. I'm not upset about that, it's just a fact. I'm guessing that since the police and prosecutor know the entire story, they also know that charging her with something is not relevent in this case.

grammaddy 3 years ago

Give the girl a much-needed break. I'm just glad she's safe.

kawrivercrow 3 years ago

As I suspected all along. The fact is, though, if she knew that such an extensive manhunt was going on and continued to hide, she is culpable in what constitutes fraud.

I think she should have charges filed against her, be given a fair trail and if found guilty be punished for her complicity in the squandering of hundreds of thousands of dollars of public funds. Whether or not she had a psychiatric condition that absolves her of personal responsibility remains to be determined, but I would not let this adult woman walk away with no scrutiny of her actions.

We must keep in mind that law enforcement resources were diverted from solving real crimes against real victims, possibly while she watched the whole thing on TV while hiding in a hotel room somewhere.

Stuart Evans 3 years ago

you don't know whether she knew about the manhunt or not. It sounds like she ran away from her family, and as of yet, still doesn't want to go back to them.

If you want to prosecute everyone who wastes public resources, I suggest you round up the next parade; there are usually dozens of police involved in those events, not to mention the fire trucks, and military vehicles, and then the cleanup afterwards.

An adult in this country is allowed to go and do whatever they want; yes, even if they are a female Muslim. As an American, I am completely within my rights to walk out my front door and never look back.

kawrivercrow 3 years ago

Tangential strawman much?

Oh, never mind. I just saw your other posts. No need to even ask.

Stuart Evans 3 years ago

I think that you think you know more than you really do.

impska 3 years ago

And yet, if she had a psychiatric condition - many of which manifest for the first time during the late teens and early twenties during periods of stress - then it's none of the public's business.

For all you know, she was sitting in a psych ward with no ID for a couple of days and when the medication finally kicked in she told the staff who she was.

kawrivercrow 3 years ago

Are you really naive enough to think that none of the care-providers, from psychiatrists to psych nurses to social workers et al., would not realize they had a Jane Doe who had 50 police officers, 4 FBI agents and an army of volunteers working around the clock to find her?

Too funny.

Jeff Barclay 3 years ago

Guessing- an arranged Sharia Law marriage a couple of weeks ago. She wanted out.

ksjayhawk74 3 years ago

I guess you're some fat, mouth breathing yokel that has to go to the library to get online because your trailer home don't have no internet.

... As long as were making ignorant assumptions about people.

johnsont1 3 years ago

You don't know that. Why post a naive/racist comment like that?

Stuart Evans 3 years ago

it's none of your business. not a bit. she's clearly got a problem, and ran from it; very common among young people. Why do you need to know what her problem is?

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years ago

As he specified, a significant amount of public resources were involved. We deserve absolutely no private information, I agree, but we deserve more answers. If nothing else about her specifically, we deserve to know what our public authorities were spending taxpayer time and money on in the search.

But since it's none of our business, as you say, how come you've jumped to the conclusion that she ran away from her problem? Not only is that a nosy thing to suggest, it involves a deeper knowledge than is available from media outlets. How do you know she ran from her problem, and why is that your business?

skinny 3 years ago

She ought to at least be made to pay for all the waisted Police resoures and be deported back to her home country!

Stuart Evans 3 years ago

This is ridiculous; you should be made to pay for the wasted educational resources, which were presented to you, throughout school.

Haiku_Cuckoo 3 years ago

She was born in the USA. This IS her home country.

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years ago

Mr. Xenophobia (look it up), it's spelled wasted. Also, "Police" doesn't need a capital letter unless you're speaking of the _ Police (proper noun). I'd rather have an immigrant (I know, she is an American) who appreciates his or her freedoms here in America than an born-American fool like you who is filled with hate.

MarcoPogo 3 years ago

Don't sentences begin with capital letters?

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years ago

Good call on the an. It was going to precede American before I added born- and forgot to revise it.

Also, why wouldn't I hyphenate the compound modifier? I notice you didn't find a resource to back that correction up. As I understand, you hyphenate compound modifiers before nouns or noun phrases to eliminate confusion, and my compound modifier was before "fool," a noun.

"American born" may sound best to you, but not to me. To me "American born" has the taste of, 'well, she's American, but only technically,' whereas "born-American" says 'she's not only American by taking a test, but is a born-American.' I don't think there's any "proper" way to use the two words, however.

I'm no English expert, though, so I'd be glad to hear where you think I'm wrong.

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years ago

Good catch. If I'm going to be a snobby know-it-all, I'd better know it all! :)

Erin England 3 years ago

Wow! That is fairly hasty! She's not an illegal alien. Get past race.

beatrice 3 years ago

Typical post from skinny. I'm sure some believe "Richard ... um ... Johnson" is a real name as well. Dont tell me -- middle name is Peter.

Please. Not surprised at all to see this kind of anti-American reaction that suggests just because she isn't a white Christian she must be a foreigner coming from skinny. Sad.

jonas_opines 3 years ago

Ooh, race card! Well played.

(cough)

kawrivercrow 3 years ago

Yeah, yeah yeah, we all know that only certain types are allowed play the race card...e.g. ' ABNormal,".

Thanks for resending the memo.

jonas_opines 3 years ago

Perhaps it's better stated that if you've ever complained about the use of the race card in the past (much less constantly and vitriolically), then you ought not to do it yourself.

Stuart Evans 3 years ago

runaway bride..."and falsely claimed that she had been kidnapped and sexually assaulted by a Hispanic male and a white woman."

runaway Muslim girl... "........."

see the difference?

ToriFreak13 3 years ago

As she falsely claimed to be harassed by a drunken bum and then disappears while her pictures is all over the news. No difference? The runaway bride did not announce those things until the media caught up to her and she was scared. She too was an adult deciding to walk away and take a brake only did not start off with a cry for help like this young lady did. I bet she will even have an opportunity to make up her finals. Had this been anyone else creating just as lame of an excuse to get out of the test, no second chances or at least -20% off the top.

grammaddy 3 years ago

How do we know that was a false claim? Were you there?

ToriFreak13 3 years ago

Everyone of her friends knew. Too many people looked at this the wrong way. If the world wasn't so stuck on stoopid, anyone could have figured this for what it was...a slacker teenager avoiding their finals.

beatrice 3 years ago

See the difference? Heck, I'd just like him to see beyond her religion and race.

jonas_opines 3 years ago

I'd say maybe we should just accept that we don't, and probably won't, ever know anything, and wonder if our guesses might simply not then be valid, but I'd be wasting by energy, wouldn't I?

juma 3 years ago

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years ago

psjnk 3 years ago

Police say no charges would be filed. - She should have to pay back all the money the police had to spend out searching for her - if she was safe she could have called someone and should have charges filed against her. the police department are low on funds the way it is already. she deserves a swift kick

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

I don't know anything about her or her situation, but in the tradition of this (and so many other similar forums) I'm busy formulating ways to judge her harshly, based solely on my need to be pointlessly judgmental.

Please stay tuned for my ultra-gratutitous comments.

Getaroom 3 years ago

It was a news cycle story. Obviously no one on this blog knows anymore than the next person. No amount of Math will figure it out for sure. Give us all a break, "runaway bride"? Geesh!

All a bunch of speculation as usual. Hopefully she stays well and safe.

Keith 3 years ago

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years ago

Keith 3 years ago

I'm not sure why my comment got disappeared along with his. I merely pointed out that he didn't know the difference between a burka and a hijab.

rockchalker52 3 years ago

Glad that public resources are available to look for her. What's wrong with that? If I had a kid that disappeared for whatever reason, I would appreciate the same. It sez 'for the people' on the document.

Cai 3 years ago

I agree, wholeheartedly. I would like to know some basic information though, given how many resources were used. Not her motives or anything, but things like ... was she ever really in danger? Do they know who the man they mentioned was, and/or will separate charges (like harassment) be pursued against him? I'd also like to know if that man knew her.

These things will tell me if there's some strange guy on campus over there that maybe I should be a little more concerned about than normal.

jlzack 3 years ago

other than a voicemail to her sister, which could have been staged.... do you really know if she was harrassed? nope

Cai 3 years ago

you're right, I don't.

I should have access to some additional information. In posting the above, it is, in fact, my assumption that no, she was never in danger, they have no idea who the man is/was (likely because he may not exist) and that, as a result, no charges will be filed. If the actual answers don't match my expectations, i would then like to know if the man knew her.

My point was that we got NONE of that information. Zero. We should have.

cabella 3 years ago

Ever hear the story of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"?

beatrice 3 years ago

A post, since removed, was from someone who claimed to be an older white guy. It wasn't a guess. Just fyi.

friendlyjhawk 3 years ago

Nobody on this post gives a damn about the girl, the situation, the police or the consequences. They just like seeing their little rants in print.

jaywalker 3 years ago

Happy she's safe. Worried about why she'd do this to her family.

beatrice 3 years ago

Can I just say, Aisha Khan is a fabulous name. I hope she finds peace in her life.

labmonkey 3 years ago

I think she was looking at the internet the whole time, staring at this site: http://khaaan.com/

garyr 3 years ago

I called it the other day, right here on Journal World. I'm not surprised one bit that she was found safe and was never abducted.

kernal 3 years ago

LJW, what KRichards said.

Most of these posts make me embarrassed to be an American. Seriously, people, what the H#)) is the matter with you!

Haiku_Cuckoo 3 years ago

Let's not pin this on her husband. There's nothing to indicate that her abused her.

Frightwig 3 years ago

Give her a break. She probably didn't foresee the horrible consequences of her actions. Nobody here knows what her reasons were. I hope that her parents can finally get some rest now. Sure, I dislike seeing a waste of tax dollars for things like this, but I have no hate for that woman. Considering all the other local LJWorld stories that we hear about people abusing their kids and the lady that locked her son in the attic, this is tiny in comparison. Ms. Khan obviously needs to sort out some things in her life and I hope that she is able to do so and find peace.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

The canard that the media is only interested in blonde WASP women who go missing seems to have been disproven.

Fossick 3 years ago

Won't keep it from being recycled, however.

jafs 3 years ago

Since that wasn't the idea, you've disproven nothing.

Leonard Pitts' column didn't say that the media was "only" interested in that demographic, just that it was more interested in it than other ones.

labmonkey 3 years ago

If she was safe this whole time, the public is indeed owed some explanation as public resources were spent looking for her, and now there is the general feeling that there is something fishy here. Perhaps she did need to get away, but as some have pointed out, she is an adult and she should have known that there would be searches for her. A lot of public good will toward her (and perhaps unfairly, the Muslim community) will be burned up if no more details are given.

labmonkey 3 years ago

Shhhh... Lateralis said no debate, and that is what you are attempting with those uhh.... perfectly reasonable questions.

I am sure if this was some rich frat boy, many of the "no more info needed" people would be demanding an explanation.

50YearResident 3 years ago

Could this have been a planned escape plan (from the marriage) with the sisters being active participants? Stranger things have happened.

johnsont1 3 years ago

Let's not assume she was trying to escape the marriage just b/c of the way she looks. You know nothing about her

kawrivercrow 3 years ago

Here is the take-home lesson for me: The next time a person goes missing and the story is a little fishy (like this one was), I will think twice before bothering to participate in an aggessive search effort.

Here is the take-home story for others: Don't worry, you can pull stunts like this and get away with it scott-free. You will not be held accountable for your actions. It is clearly a guaranteed way of dealing with your immediate troubles at other peoples' expense.

Here is the take-home lesson for families of people who truly are abducted: Good luck getting anyone to believe you, as these stories frequently end up being false so frequently that skepticism will be a natural response.

beatrice 3 years ago

Kaw, you took part in the search effort? Good for you. However, it seems like you would prefer she had actually been abducted so your time wouldn't have been wasted. That seems odd.

sleepy33 3 years ago

Regardless of her religious or ethnic background, it is clear that this is a woman who felt she needed to get out of her current living situation. Reading between the lines, I suspect that she did not feel safe for whatever reason, and is probably currently in a shelter or other safe place. If she wanted her family to know where she was, they would know. She does not want them to know.

If a woman, or anyone, feels that they are in an unsafe living situation, they should absolutely get out in any way that they can, and worry about the consequences later. If the worst thing to come out of this scenario is that some police man-hours were spent less than productively, so be it, if that helps one more woman find safety. Severing contact with family and friends is almost always the first step to leaving an abusive relationship, and it may have taken her some time and help to figure out how to safely alert the authorities that they should call off the search. Imagine you finally find a way to leave your abuser, and then this whole media circus descends? How frightened do you think she would be to return home or let her family know where to find her after causing all of this unwanted attention?

lawslady 3 years ago

Way to see both sides sleepy. Wish more people had the ability to think outside their own box/world. Things are not always as black and white simple as many wish they were (or think they are). There are usually a lot more going on in ANY story than the media (and most individuals) can see or say!

Cai 3 years ago

This is a fantastic, fantastic point. I am more ashamed than I care to admit that I did not consider this possibility at all. I assumed that, like many 19 year olds in johnson county, she was the epitome of 'first world problems'.

I neglected to remember that real danger and real abuse and flee-worthy situations DO happen.

I still would like a bit more information though.

May Soo 3 years ago

I hope she was not upset about the marriage because I don't know how understanding her family is to all this. I am being forced into marrying a man that I don't love and god knows what his intention is out of all this for marrying me, I am an adult and yes I can leave or end this but I can't do it because I don't want to be called selfish all the time by not going my parents' ways. I only wish good luck to her and she finds a solution to her problems.

verity 3 years ago

If in fact you are going to get married to please your parents---let me give you a word of advice learned the hard way. You will never please your parents, no matter what you do. People who insist that others do what they want them to will never be pleased because that would take their ability to control away. It doesn't matter what anybody else calls you---you have the right to your own life.

garyr 3 years ago

Stuart Evans 3 years ago

Everyone, you've changed my mind. We clearly need to RFID every person in this country, so that we never have another individual go missing again. Wow, thanks for showing me the light. I know I'll feel more secure with Uncle Sam's arm up my ass.

kawrivercrow 3 years ago

I presume your use of 'Norml' in your user-name is a play on words related to your support of marijuana reform. Most of us also support reform of cannabis laws. However, your consistent repeated displays of extremely distorted perceptions of what others write suggests you are either very immature, have a personality disorder or are just really, really chronically stoned.

If it is the latter, I suggest you let your mind clear up by backing off of the weed for 30 days. You will be amazed at how clearly things seem again. Then, you can probably go back to getting high, but on a lighter schedule. Even if all three conditions are simultaneously true, you will still see improvement. I suspect the rest of us will see it, too.

Stuart Evans 3 years ago

Kaw, I'm sure that my problem is all of the above. I'd love to know which "consistent repeated displays of extremely distorted perceptions" you're referring to. Maybe I have a very clear perception, and many of the rest of you are lagging?

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." Jiddu Krishnamurti

verity 3 years ago

There is often a cultural clash between children born in this country and parents who are immigrants---of any ethnicity or religion.

Sometimes the police withhold information to protect someone or to set a trap for someone. The fact that her mother-in-law knows nothing is probably telling, and at this point we can speculate, which we will do because we are human, but we really don't know enough to be making judgments.

beatrice 3 years ago

Oh, admit it, you are just upset because you don't know what a hijab is.

beatrice 3 years ago

Dang, now I must be upset too.

voevoda 3 years ago

Why, its_just_math, do you feel this need to make everything an excuse to go on a rant against the "leftists"? This story doesn't have anything to do with left or right. Your speculation about what the "leftists" might say reveals only your deep-seated antipathy, and in this case is even less coherent than usual.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years ago

Khaaaaaaaaaaaan!! /Shatner

(come on, I'm the first to make this joke?)

labmonkey 3 years ago

See my response to Beatrice 9:13 post above... I beat you to it by about 8 hours.

beatrice 3 years ago

Then I'll be the first to say I didn't realize Chaka had a daughter.