Archive for Monday, December 19, 2011

Lawrence senior citizens’ flash mob video at Target getting national attention

Some of the residents at Meadowlark Estates were in a flash mob recently and the video they appear in has gone viral on You Tube.  Some of the residents in the video were, from left, Jackie Marrs, 83, Bob Macleay, 86,  Glenda Anderson, 77, Charlotte Marino, 69, Nancy Yeager, 76, Lorna Allen, 89 and Roberta Lewis, 76.

Some of the residents at Meadowlark Estates were in a flash mob recently and the video they appear in has gone viral on You Tube. Some of the residents in the video were, from left, Jackie Marrs, 83, Bob Macleay, 86, Glenda Anderson, 77, Charlotte Marino, 69, Nancy Yeager, 76, Lorna Allen, 89 and Roberta Lewis, 76.

December 19, 2011

Senior citizens talk about flash mob

Eight residents of Meadowlark Estates, a retirement community in northwest Lawrence, talk about their flash mob performance at the Lawrence Target recently. The group's performance of "Last Christmas" has earned them national acclaim, and their YouTube clip has been viewed nearly 500,000 times in less than a week. Enlarge video

With nearly a half million YouTube views and mentions on NPR and the Huffington Post and Time magazine websites, a group of senior citizens from Meadowlark Estates has become an overnight sensation.

“We are literally shocked,” said Andrea Wyatt, activity coordinator at Meadowlark, a retirement community in northwest Lawrence.

In a 4-minute video taken last week at the Lawrence Target, eight Meadowlark residents perform a “flash mob” dance routine to the song “Last Christmas” from the television show “Glee.” The group surprises staff and shoppers, breaking into a rehearsed routine in the middle of the store.

Wyatt said the idea came from Meadowlark’s home office in Vancouver, Wash. The first step was explaining to the residents what a flash mob was.

“I still don’t know what it is,” joked performer Nancy Yeager, 76.

There was also the issue of the music quality.

“Two pages of such drivel I’ve never seen in my life,” said Bob MacLeay, 86, who was the “leading man” in the video. MacLeay said he’s read some of the comments on the YouTube video critiquing his dance moves, but he laughs them off.

“We weren’t very good at it,” he said. “But we were doing it.”

It’s been a wild ride for the dance crew since the video hit the Internet. They’ve all been getting calls from relatives asking if they’ve seen the latest spot on CNN or “Good Morning America.”

“I’ve heard from so many people that they put it on Facebook,” said Glenda Anderson, 77.

The performers say it’s been a fun experience and they’re enjoying their time in the spotlight.

It all begs the question: Will there be a sequel?

“Maybe,” Charlotte Marino, the group’s youngster at age 69, said with a sly smile. “Maybe.”

YouTube

Senior Citizen Flash Mob

Comments

bootlegger 2 years, 11 months ago

They all must need alot of attention..............

Phog67 2 years, 11 months ago

You need to learn to spell correctly. I'll help you here. A little, a lot. Get it? It's not one word. It's two and always has been. Alot is not correct.

ivalueamerica 2 years, 11 months ago

Actually, most people seek attention, it is human nature. In fact, you seek it when you make a post. However, unlike the people above who have fun and bring joy and are positive, you seem to seek negative attention and that could be a sign of more serious issues.

Good luck.

Ginny Hedges 2 years, 11 months ago

They all must need alot of attention..............

They are just having some fun. Lighten up and enjoy it!

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 11 months ago

Mmmm.. I don't think so. I'll bet that most of them would probably tell you that " their day" was in the 50s, two decades before streakers.

Lawrence Morgan 2 years, 11 months ago

This is wonderful. We need to do more things like this! But you forgot to put in the article the name of each person involved. I would like to send each person a Christmas greeting.

I have sent this to friends in Africa, United Kingdom, Germany and of course, the U.S.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Lawrence Morgan 2 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for your putting in the photograph with all the names. To each of you at Meadowlark, a very happy Christmas!

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

Oh, they need to take that act on the road! Awesome!

rockchalker52 2 years, 11 months ago

I'd party with that crowd! Inspiring! Maybe they'll do 'Thriller' for Halloween.

Tony Holladay 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't think they are going to win an Emey but it was cute and I hope I have enough guts to do something like that when I'm older.

Tony Holladay 2 years, 11 months ago

Oooops, I meant to spell it Emmy. I suprized the grammer police didn't catch that. :)

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

not tomention ... the spelling police ... lol

merry christmas centie!

Tony Holladay 2 years, 11 months ago

Yes, but looks like you were a little faster on the draw.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 11 months ago

somebody's gotta say it:

Derned kids with their loud rock'n roll! probly lead to nasty thoughts and all kinds of evil! it all started with Elvis the pelvis!

if nobody's started this, then why not?: take 'em on tour!

justforfun 2 years, 11 months ago

HELP!!! Why is it called a flash mob?? It was only 8 people hardly a mob. I must be getting old?? LOL

MarcoPogo 2 years, 11 months ago

And "flash mobs" usually strike a little faster than this one but we'll cut them some slack. :)

somedude20 2 years, 11 months ago

That old dude is living the dream man. I bet he is popular at the old folks home with the ladies. Eight old birds for every old dude is a great ratio and if I were old I'd go to that place for some fun. Rock it old peeps hope I have your spunk when I am your age

Bobbum like equipmunk

mom_of_three 2 years, 11 months ago

I thought it was great, although I read about it in the kc paper first.
So it wasn't the flashiest mob, but I loved it.

Getaroom 2 years, 11 months ago

OH My GOD! Call Homeland Security!! Must be home grown "Enemy Combatants" trying to cause an American-Spring-in-Winter revolution! Hope none of you tweeted anything disparaging about Brownbackward!!

Guitmo or bust.

Keep on revolting folks - it was geat.

Nice article.

grammaddy 2 years, 11 months ago

I first saw it on facebook and quickly "shared" it with all my friends. I hope I still have that much energy when I'm their age.

Lene 2 years, 11 months ago

Wonderful! I've watched it several times. Congratulations to all of you and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 11 months ago

My favorite flash mob video ever, from a downtown Stockholm shopping area: http://tinyurl.com/kqxvz2