Archive for Sunday, December 18, 2011

Missing student told relatives of ‘creepy,’ drunken stranger

December 18, 2011

— Relatives of a 19-year-old college student believe she was abducted by a man who was harassing her at a northeastern Kansas campus where she was studying for finals.

Aisha Khan, a student at Johnson County Community College in Overland Park who also takes classes at the Kansas University Edwards Campus in the same city, has been missing since Friday morning. That’s when her older sister says she left frantic text messages with her about a drunken man on the Edwards Campus she described as “creepy.”

Faiza Khan said she dropped Aisha off at the campus about 10 a.m. Friday for a noon final. The text messages started arriving within an hour.

“There’s a creepy guy that just came up to me, and he was harassing me,” Faiza said her younger sister told her in a message. She told local media outlets that Aisha “was just freaking out at that time. She didn’t know what to do. I guess she pushed him and she slapped him.”

She said her sister ran away from the stranger and tried calling instead of texting, but reached the voice mail.

“Oh my gosh it was so scary,” Aisha said in her voice message. “My heart is like pounding. I’ve never got this scared in my life. Pick up your phones. I am freaked out right now.”

Faiza said she and a cousin went to the campus and found Aisha’s phone, book bag and iPod on a picnic table, but her sister was gone.

“Nobody saw anything, I guess, which is something I don’t understand,” said the cousin, Sana Habib. “There is so much construction, and there’s so many people over there. How cannot even one person see what’s going on?”

Overland Park police spokesman Matthew Bregel said 30 to 40 officers were searching over the weekend for the missing Olathe woman, but he stopped short of calling her disappearance an abduction.

Aisha Khan was married in July and stays in close contact with a wide circle of friends and relatives, family members said, so it’s highly unlikely she left voluntarily.

Faiza said her family has printed about 5,000 fliers and has been distributing them in the Olathe and Overland Park area. The family is offering $10,000 for any tips that lead to Khan’s whereabouts.

Aisha is 5 feet 2 inches tall, with dark brown hair, brown eyes and glasses. She wore a black jacket beneath a longer black and white coat, police said, and may have been wearing her glasses.

Comments

Alceste 3 years, 7 months ago

kusp8 3 years, 7 months ago

inappropriate, flagged for removal.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

I am glad this is in the paper, though it is AP only.
KCstar has two articles from sunday, not much more detail.

their facebook page is nicely done. much effort has gone into finding her by many people, started quickly.

I just hope she turns up safe.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

here's the "help find Aisha Khan" Facebook wall, a lot of pictures and other info:

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

okay Cakie, looks useful.not so familiar with 4chan ... but why under "b?"

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

some readers following this may have seen me yelling at the ljw people under the previous ljw article about coverage of this missing girl.

I also wrote an email to Alex Parker at LJW.

his answer was that essentially they had to watch their resources and would leave coverage up to the AP, since she wasn't a local student or resident.

I just hope she is found safe soon.

Munsoned 3 years, 7 months ago

But, there will still be a "Meatless Mondays" article. Resources. Right.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

yep! and the mostly vapid/useless "go" section will of course be out right on time!

and it's supposed to cater to young womyn in our community: guess Aisha Khan and her supporters just don't count.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 3 years, 7 months ago

Looks like cakeboss just discovered the interwebs for the first time.

Sad I find it hard to believe no one saw anything either hope she is okay.

Stuart Sweeney 3 years, 7 months ago

CALL 911 FIRST NOT YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS IF YOU SENSE DANGER!!!

kusp8 3 years, 7 months ago

Over/under on how long it takes cake_boss to be dissappeareded?

I'm setting the line at 8am.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 3 years, 7 months ago

He thinks he's being cool 4chan is so three years ago.

obamasocks 3 years, 7 months ago

Hey LJW -how about deleting this sickos comments? Then give his ip to the FBI as a potential suspect. Cake boss is more than creepy enough to be a suspect in this case.

thebigspoon 3 years, 7 months ago

And which part of this idiot's ravings is protected under the tos, LJW?

Chrissy Neibarger 3 years, 7 months ago

I feel so bad for the family and hope that everything turns out okay.

now.. who didn't show up for work at LJW today? This troll has got to be put to rest.

John Hamm 3 years, 7 months ago

obamasocks & thebigspoon - I'm fairly sure cake_boss's comments aren't being deleted for a very good (and fairly obvious) reason. Think about it.

thebigspoon 3 years, 7 months ago

I understand your reasoning, but it seems as if this has gone on long enough. I sincerely hope the family does not have any idea his ranting is available for all to see. And, too, the interested parties have seen enough to know what they need to know.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 7 months ago

There are "0" comments listed. I think somebody at the LJW is paying attention to Cake's rants.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 7 months ago

The ranks of the disappearededed got a new member this morning. That's a good thing.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

wow, I go to bed ... wake up ... drink my coffee ... come on here and all of Cakie's stuff and he himself is in the land of nod.
bye-bye.

ResQd 3 years, 7 months ago

People react differently, I hope she is safe and sound. I can visualize my young daughter calling me, rather than 911. If the campus does not have night security guards, they should get some. I heard the same thing happened at JCC about 3 months ago, although nobody was abducted, they put out an alert, similar scenario.

John Hamm 3 years, 7 months ago

@ResQd - except this was at 10am on a Friday for a final. There had to be someone around at then.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

Py et al, possibly she felt hesitant to call 9-1-1 because of her heritage.

many muslims feel estranged from american law enforcement and the mainstream american culture.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

GM, first her name was a clue. then I read the Facebook page.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

oh yeah, I hope "was" is inappropriate! I hope she is still alive.

GardenMomma 3 years, 7 months ago

Oh! I surely hope she is alive and well too. I hope she is found soon and found safe and unharmed. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

yes, I wish that this had some national coverage.

but please note that Fox4 has done a pretty good job online and on the air of covering this, it also looks like the LEO's there have responded pretty intensely.

and, Py, if you feel this is not getting enough coverage, then do something about it. I have.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

the comment count being shown for this article is totally off!

liberallibrarian 3 years, 7 months ago

Here is a link to suggest the story to CNN. I'm pretty sure they've given it zero coverage so far. http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form11b.html.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

last night CNN's HLN channel (#43 on lawrence cable) covered this.

good job. other national outlets have covered it now.

asixbury 3 years, 7 months ago

I sent a suggestion to CNN. Thank you liberallibrarian for posting this information!

Steve Jacob 3 years, 7 months ago

I am hoping she got stressed out a took a break from life and is hiding out somewhere. 19 years old, married, finals. A lot going on at a young age.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

here's part of the most current posting from the Facebook page/info:

her sister went to the location where she stated she was in the voice mail, she found Aisha's belongings, including her cell phone, but she was no where to be found.

Police have spent Friday and Saturday interviewing family and friends and investigating any leads. A family member has said that the police spoke to landscapers who were working on a nearby construction site and they said they may have seen a woman who matched Aisha's description walking around Pflumm Rd. Nothing has been confirmed.

Please keep checking this page for latest updates on possible mass search attempts.

GENERAL INFO:

At approximately 11:58 A.M on Friday, December 16, Overland Park Police officers responded to a report of a missing person in the area of the Kansas University Edwards Campus at 12600 Quivira Road. The missing person is Aisha Khan, a 19-year-old female. She is also a student at Johnson County Community College.

Description: 5'2, 120 lbs Dark Brown... Hair Brown Eyes Glasses

Aisha Khan was last seen wearing black sweat pants, yellow/black shirt, black scarf, black regular length jacket, and black/white long outer coat.

If you had seen Aisha at all the morning of, spoken to her, or have any information on her whereabouts, please contact the TIPS HOTLINE at 816-474-TIPS as soon as possible.

An official search for Aisha has yet to be announced but this group will serve as a mode of communication and mobilizing community members in the event a search is announced.

Please keep checking into the page and keep Aisha and her family and loved ones in your prayers. Website https://twitter.com/#!/FindAisha

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

the British Daily Mail just published this regarding Aisha Khan: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2076136/Aisha-Khan--10k-reward-missing-college-student-drunk-man-assaulted-her.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

couple of errors but ironically more coverage than LJW. lol. Daily Mail has her disappearing from an "oakland Park" campus, for example.

Armstrong 3 years, 7 months ago

You seem to be uncommonly worked up about this. Just sayin

Danielle Brunin 3 years, 7 months ago

Not really. From memory, Bearded_Gnome was an advocate for the victim in the Matthew Jaeger case if I remember correctly. BG helped to set up a victim's trust fund. For that, he's always had my respect.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

Thank you Rodent Girl. I am particularly concerned about young women in our society who get victimized.

I also have some muslim friends.

but for this situation I will confess I was quite deeply moved because of her age, and that she was newly married, while trying to better herself in college.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

p.s. I simply figure that if I can get these articles more notice, help spread the info about her and her disappearance, I may aid in her being found, and I pray found alive.

I also know that such notice might help prevent other women from facing such trouble.

verity 3 years, 7 months ago

This is certainly a reminder to all of us to constantly be aware of what/who is around us at all times, even in a familiar place where we feel safe, and to have a plan of action. Years ago a friend of mine heard somebody following her and could have run to a near place where there was a group of people and/or screamed, but she didn't want to embarrass herself if she was wrong---the consequences were that she was raped. Fortunately he let her go afterwards.

Probably a lot of us wouldn't think to call 911 when something creepy or suspicious happens, or would think it wasn't appropriate. In all cases, have the phone number of your local police on speed dial on your cell phone and always have the phone with you. For women, keep your phone in a pocket rather than in your purse.

Aisha, you and your family are in our thoughts. Hope you are safe!

Acey 3 years, 7 months ago

It doesn't help to see that the Journal World has her name wrong.
She is Ms. K H A N, with a Muslim family name. She looks like a "sub-continental." She is not Ms. K A H N, which is more often a Jewish name.
She is Pakistani or Indian, not Israeli.
This is so sad and scary. In any case, I hope that she makes her way home safely, and soon.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

Acey ... ??? her name seems to be spelled correctly in the article above these comments.

if they have any errors elsewhere, they may well have come from the AP.

under the previous LJW article I said I thought she might be Pakistani.

but wherever she or her family came from, she is missing now, probably scared, probably suffering, unless she's already dead. or, this is a very elaborate hoax.

and I truly doubt the hoax possibility.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

Py: I have to wonder whether the marriage was to her satisfaction...and that leads to wondering whether she and her sister might have come up with an escape route from (who knows?) a possibly oppressive, possibly parent-chosen mate?

---the husband was interviewed on Fox4, aired last night. I think he is older than her.

however, I would encourage you to reserve judgment because arranged marriages are and have been part of that culture for a very very long time. You might automatically assume most muslim marriages are oppressive.

it seems oppressive to us, but in general they actually work well, chiefly because extended families on both sides make sure that it does.

also, we must not impose our cultural values on them.

btw, there are muslims in this country practicing polygamy, too. they're typically allowed four wives. now to me that seems crazy: why do I want four wives mad at me/nagging me? lol.

but it is part of their faith and culture.

as far as I can tell, Aisha was Sarhan's only wife (I've only inferred that that is hubby's name, might also be Aisha's father.)

but the newly wed, young girl, going to college, missing/abducted, are all traits here which should touch to us across the cultural differences.

salad 3 years, 7 months ago

If a woman is not safe at noon on a work day, outside on the Edwards campus in the middle of cupcake-land, then women aren't safe anywhere. I pray she turns up OK. Going out to buy key-chain mace right now.....

robbspace 3 years, 7 months ago

Spray Mace Is Very Effective Self Defense

robbspace 3 years, 7 months ago

This is someone's daughter is missing, it has nothing to do with where is she from and her athnecity. this nonsense of argument is wrong. Overland Park police and the FBI made it there fist priority to find Aisha Khan, Let's stay positive and keep our hopes high and so let's not jump to conclusions.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 7 months ago

yesterday the OPPD chief stated that the FBI is involved, and that this is being treated as an abduction.