Archive for Saturday, December 17, 2011

Pedestrian-car accident at 26th and Iowa sends Lawrence man to Topeka hospital

December 17, 2011

A 39-year-old Lawrence man was struck by a 27-year-old Lawrence woman in a car as he walked across 26th and Iowa streets just before 8 a.m. Saturday. He was taken by ground ambulance to Stormont-Vail Healthcare in Topeka. Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical suspected that he had sustained head and leg injuries. Sgt. Ted Bordman said Saturday that the man’s injuries were minor. The driver had made a complete stop on 26th Street and was beginning to make a right turn onto Iowa Street when the pedestrian entered the roadway, Bordman said. No citations were issued.

Comments

citizn 2 years, 4 months ago

I was on my way to work and past this accident just after the police had arrived. The injuried was in the middle of the crosswalk. The driver of the car did not remove the frost from the windows. Sun was not a factor. The driver should have cleaned the windows and this probably would not have happened. I hope the injured man is doing well and the driver is dealing with the situation well.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 4 months ago

I'll make my guess as to what happened. If the driver were traveling east on 26th. then perhaps the sun was in the driver's eyes, temporarily blinding the driver. Maybe that's why the driver didn't see the pedestrian. At shortly before 8 in the morning, the sun could be brutal. Or maybe it was cloudy.

conservative 2 years, 4 months ago

I get the driver may have been technically correct to stop, then proceed with her turn, however if nothing else common courtesy should have prevented this accident. If she didn't see that there was a pedestrian that close to her she was being extremely inattentive.

lazydazy 2 years, 4 months ago

What if Lawrence gave people Jay Walking tickets?? Wow, they'd make $$. People would be safer, drivers wouldn't have to "worry" so much. Last night a runner wearing BLACK ran out in front of me, not in a cross walk. He is lucky he's not in the emergency room. Thanks dude for flipping me off. Not to mention the Stupid bike riders on the hilly county roads. Lets see, come over a hill going 55mph & hit a bike "sharing the road", or get killed yourself while hugging the center line as someone from the opposite direction is doing the same. You're both going 55, that's a 110mph CRASH.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

A friend of mine was involved in a very minor accident with a pedestrian a few years back.

The pedestrian was NOT in the crosswalk, which was very clearly marked and obvious, and that was verified by several witnesses. He refused ambulance transport to the hospital, and claimed that he was just fine after the accident. He rode home with a friend of his.

Later, the pedestrian was awarded $10,000, which was much less than the $75,000 that he sued for.

LogicMan 2 years, 4 months ago

"Pedestrians always have the right of way within a crosswalk."

Is there one there? I see many places in town where the paint for various street markings is long gone, for many years now.

Sara Garlick 2 years, 4 months ago

I see people walking in the middle of Iowa between 26th & 21st all the time, especially between 26th & 24th. Generally they are not crossing at a cross walk. Where is personal responsibility?

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

"The driver had made a complete stop on 26th Street and was beginning to make a right turn onto Iowa Street when the pedestrian entered the roadway,"

Clipped from: 'The Kansas Department of Transportation' website: http://www.ksdot.org/burtrafficsaf/sns/Presentation/sharing.asp

"Pedestrians always have the right of way within a crosswalk. If there are no traffic signals, drivers must slow down or stop for pedestrians within a marked or unmarked crosswalk and make every effort to avoid injuring pedestrians.

Drivers making a right or left turn at an intersection must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians.

Drivers must also yield the right-of-way to pedestrians: After coming to a complete stop at a stop sign."

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 4 months ago

Hybrid reindeer's. sorry my bad.

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 4 months ago

1645 red and silver sled with 8 tiny reindeer.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 4 months ago

this article doesn't indicate what kind of car she was driving.

another possible explanation: she might've been driving a quiet car. the NHTSA reported several months ago that quiet cars are 50%* more likely to be involved in car vs. pedestrian accidents because sound provides vital warning of cars and car movement.

wonder just what kind of car she was driving.

Beth Ennis 2 years, 4 months ago

touring, don't be so judgmental. You weren't there, and if a citation wasn't issued, then it wasn't the drivers fault. I'm sure she feels horrible. Earlier today, I almost got hit when someone pulled out of a driveway and didn't even look in my direction before pulling out. I did hit my horn and was able to stop, but another second later and I wouldn't have been able to stop. Accidents due happen. I suspect the pedestrian left the curb at the same time as the driver started her right turn, leaving neither of them the time to stop.

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 4 months ago

regardless who's at fault, the driver could of, should of seen even a trash bag blowing across the street. PERIOD! what if it was a little child pedaling his or her tricycle across the street? HMMM driver error regardless in my book.

observant 2 years, 4 months ago

Rule number 1 for any pedestrian! Assume automobile driver will not care if you have right of way, pedestrian must always yield.

sunny 2 years, 4 months ago

Most people in Lawrence don't even look before walking into a street. My parents taught me to look both ways, and look again!

Kontum1972 2 years, 4 months ago

let's see, i believe the pedestrian has the right of way... and did the driver forget that she has a horn on the vehicle...a horn is the standard installed warning device on vehicles and not just for parades of weddings...Lawrence has the worst drivers ..esp with all this multitasking that goes on in them and i have driven around this country from top to bottom. I wish they had a law that stated if u hit someone with your car it is taken away from u and sold and u lose all driving privileges for a period of one year..if u kill someone u lose your driving privileges for life and your auto is sold....and u go to jail for 2 years .....or longer......driving safely is a privilege not a right...

sierraclub 2 years, 4 months ago

No matter how hard we try, we just cannot fix it.