Archive for Friday, December 16, 2011

Old Navy confirms it is closing Lawrence store

December 16, 2011

A spokeswoman from Old Navy confirmed Friday the retailer plans to close its Lawrence store on South Iowa Street after the holiday season.

“We are constantly evaluating our store fleet to ensure we have the right stores in the right locations to best serve our customers,” said Sarah Andrus, a spokeswoman with Old Navy. “Unfortunately, the decision to close a store is always a difficult one with a number of factors that impact the decision. We are making every effort to help employees find positions at nearby stores and hope our customers will continue to shop us at nearby stores or online.”

The retailer did not provide a date when the store will close. Old Navy confirmed the closing after the Journal-World reported that sources had confirmed Old Navy and its landlord decided to end their relationship.

Old Navy occupies about 20,000 square feet of space in the Pine Ridge Plaza near 33rd and Iowa streets. Pine Ridge Plaza is managed by Inland Western Retail, a real estate investment trust with headquarters in suburban Chicago.

Comments

Tony Holladay 3 years, 8 months ago

I guessing this store won't be a good place to go Christmas shopping if they won't be open for returns or exchanges after the holidays. Better return the gift cards now since they won't be open to use them without driving to kc.

That does bring up a question. Will other stores Old Navy stores honor exchanges or returns?

oxandale 3 years, 8 months ago

yes, they will honor exchanges, returns and gift cards.

Plurilingual 3 years, 8 months ago

There is a store in Topeka on Wannamaker Road.

thrifter 3 years, 8 months ago

Seriously you'd return gift cards? That's silly. They can be used online and really, there's an old navy outlet at Legends, a mere 30 min away, several in Olathe/Overland Park/Lenexa.

Lawrence isn't a bubble. I think people need to realize getting out isn't a big deal. If the city weren't so hell-bent on keeping bigger businesses on the outskirts of town, I think we'd be able to be better-equipped to stay in town. But seriously...30 minutes is NOT a far drive.

kochmoney 3 years, 8 months ago

There are very similar chain type stores downtown already. I forget which ones, probably because I'm not in high school, but I recall walking by two or three of them. Isn't there a Gap or Brass Buckle downtown. Maybe both? And there's an Urban Outfitters, which has easily at least as much space as Old Navy.

Greg Counts 3 years, 8 months ago

Have you priced clothes at the "other" chain type stores compared to Old Navy? We're in a recession and $120 for a pair of jeans is ridiculous!

kochmoney 3 years, 8 months ago

I don't shop at any of them. I'm just challenging the assertion that Old Navy failed because big businesses are kept on the edge of town. There are plenty of similar chains of similar size downtown. If they can sell $120 jeans in a recession, bless them.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 8 months ago

The Brass Buckle dropped the "Brass" from its name 20 years ago. :)

Deja Coffin 3 years, 8 months ago

The Old Navy outlet at the Great Plains Mall has been gone for a few years now.

kochmoney 3 years, 8 months ago

Is there still a mall left in the Great Plains mall?

Will Babbit 3 years, 8 months ago

There's like 10 stores left total in the Great Mall, the only big one left is Burlington Coat Factory.

Tony Holladay 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks drifter. I didn't realize the online thing. Guess just about everybody has that nowadays. lol I'll probably still try and return them. I just don't want to inconvience anyone with the drive for some cheap fleece. Now if it was a gift certificate to a nice restaurant or something like that, it'd probably be worth the drive.

Tony Holladay 3 years, 8 months ago

Well I bought it as a stocking stuffer. I noticed my niece seems to like the place and thought it might please her getting something from there But you guys are right. She might not mind the drive or ordering on line. I'm just trying to get people what I think they would like for Christmas not stuff I'd like to get. So I guess that's why I got the card.

LogicMan 3 years, 8 months ago

An unfortunate loss, but not surprising to me since I never brightened their doorway.

Any news on who is signed to take the space? Hopefully something more interesting to my kind and dominant gender.

Greg Counts 3 years, 8 months ago

Dominant gender...........Simple Minded?

LogicMan 3 years, 8 months ago

You hairless plains apes are so wonderful to observe. Although it is too bad your evolution halted and is now going backward due to poor breeding practices.

jedifunk 3 years, 8 months ago

Word on the street is that it is going to become a Ross.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 8 months ago

Old Navy has a "store fleet." How cute. I wonder if the they also call the closing of one of their stores a "scuttling."

Richard Heckler 3 years, 8 months ago

GAP and Old Navy are sister companies which also includes Banana Republic which BTW turned down the opportunity of locate in Lawrence the home to a flooded retail market.

The same people who entice new retailers are the same people who may well put them out of business = unfriendly to business and taxpayers.

Staci Dark Simpson 3 years, 8 months ago

Yet another reason for going to another town to shop. Legends isn't that far.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 8 months ago

That's where we go. The Legends and Leavenworth are about the same distance from where we live as Lawrence.

Steve Miller 3 years, 8 months ago

This doesn't surprise me, i went there one time only t discover the high priced junk they had.. Good by ..

Steve Miller 3 years, 8 months ago

In lieu of all of this and shopping at target, kohls ect. the product quality of these stores does not necssarily increase with the higher prices, it just makes you feel better that you're not supporting wally world. ( a boost for your ego). In the end, dollar general or dollar tree just need to double in size to accomodate the shoppers.

Scr3604 3 years, 8 months ago

Old Navy is not "making every effort to help employees find positions at nearby stores" "Every effort" is an overstatement.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 8 months ago

Some of you sound as though we live in the old Soviet. The reason why other areas are pummeling Lawrence in retail is they offer choice.

Choice is good. I like Walmart, I like JC Pennys, and I like Macys. I also love little tiny mom and pop shops. I also wish there were a Lowes and Dicks Sporting Goods here. There aint, so I head out o town.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 8 months ago

This sucks....... I like Old Navy and I especially like their clothes for kids. It's one of the few stores that I can find jeans to fit my daughter.

classclown 3 years, 8 months ago

Does this mean we won't have to put up with their stupid commercials anymore?

Seriously. I'm all for running them out of the entire region if that's what it takes to not have to see their commercials anymore.

cozborn 3 years, 8 months ago

as much as i dislike the commercials, i get quality jeans for less than 30 dollars... why all the hate?

willie_wildcat 3 years, 8 months ago

Totally agree with you cozborn! The jeans are pretty good quality and they last a while. I still have pairs that are several years old that still are in great shape! I also have several long sleeved button up shirts for work that are still in good shape despite constant wearing and washing. I'm gonna miss their Black Friday sales.....15 bucks for jeans was always the drawing point for me! My hubby also liked their jeans as they fit him well. I don't understand why some posters are so negative about ON.....

Katara 3 years, 8 months ago

It was one of the few places that carried petite sized jeans at a decent (sale) price.

Lori Nation 3 years, 8 months ago

I would love to have a Ross, and they even offer layaway which no stores in town do except Sears. So how can we find out if it will be Ross for sure.

littlexav 3 years, 8 months ago

Now where am I supposed to buy $2 flip-flops?!?

Kendra Stevenson 3 years, 8 months ago

That's really sad to hear. Old Navy doesnt have the greatest quality of clothing but they are inexpensive and have larger sizes unlike those overpriced stores on Mass. This is the only clothing store I shopped at in Lawrence...looks like I'll be spending even LESS money in Lawrence and heading to KC!