From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Dec. 13, 1911:
- "Where once there stood a substantial stone hotel, with comfortable rooms and inviting meals to welcome the emigrants to Kansas, as they left the ferry at the foot of New Hampshire street, there now is fast developing a pile of ruins, stone, mortar and real walnut. The Waverly Hotel is being razed. Before long there will be no sign whatever to mark the spot where for year there stood the Free State Headquarters. Another landmark of the past will soon become only a memory of Kansas history. In that old stone building that is being torn down, men famous in the history not only of Kansas, but of the nation, used to gather in the days when they first came to Kansas.... But no matter if the Waverly hotel is destroyed, its memory will live always."
- "James Brown, who lives at 252 Elm street, is willing to pay a reward to anyone who can tell him the identity of the thief or thieves who visited his place last evening. A lock was broken on an outside cellar and three and a half bushels of prize potatoes stolen. In addition to this, a quantity of fruit was stolen."