Archive for Monday, December 12, 2011

Charlie Weis recruiting to KU already

Kansas football recruit Dayne Crist watches from the stands during the second half on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

December 12, 2011

The Charlie Weis Era may be just a couple of days old, but, already, the Kansas University football program has seen a change in how recruiting is handled under its new head coach.

In short, it seems no fish is too big to fry for Weis, who has wasted little time in targeting some big-name talent to join him in Lawrence.

It’s a well-known fact that Weis is in the hunt for former five-star quarterback prospect Dayne Crist, a senior at Notre Dame who visited KU over the weekend and reportedly is down to deciding between Kansas and Wisconsin. Crist, who has one year of eligibility remaining, will graduate this month and has said he plans to transfer for his final season. Because of NCAA rules, the 6-foot-4, 235-pound pro-style QB will be eligible immediately.

Weis also has extended scholarship offers in the last couple of days to South Bend, Ind., wide receiver Gehrig Dieter, 6-3, 200; Bishop Miege running back Tre Parmalee, 5-10, 160; Tampa (Fla.) linebacker Schyler Miles, 6-2, 220; and Butler County CC defensive tackle Chaquil Reed, 6-3, 290.

Reed has interest from K-State and Minnesota, and Miles has offers from Cincinnati, Florida and West Virginia. Crist, whom Weis recruited to Notre Dame, chose the Fighting Irish over Florida State, Michigan, Nebraska, Stanford and USC.

While Weis made it clear that he would not shy away from going after the best players he can find, a determining factor in how he shapes his first recruiting class at KU likely will be how many scholarships he has available.

“The big question with me is, there aren’t a lot of seniors on the roster,” Weis said. “Therefore, there aren’t a lot of spots for recruits. What you have to figure out is what that number will be, so you can recruit the appropriate number of people.”

Prior to being fired, former KU coach Turner Gill had locked up eight oral commitments from athletes in the Class of 2012. A couple of them have bailed, and a few remain committed to KU. Weis figures at least to visit with each of them, and there already have been rumors circulating about a handful of current Jayhawks ready to transfer. That’s no surprise to Weis.

“Anytime a new coach comes in, I would say the natural attrition is 10 to 15 players,” he said. “This is everywhere. When people say, ‘So-and-so came in, and 12 guys transferred,’ every other coach, when they go in, the same thing happens. The same thing happened my first year at Notre Dame. I think 13 guys left in the first year.”

The departure of some players often is matched by the arrival of others, and Weis said the important part was figuring out quickly who would stay and who would go so he could hit the recruiting trail with a better idea of what he needed.

“I don’t want to undersign,” he said. “I don’t want to go out there and sign 15 guys if I can sign 25 guys. I also don’t want to take people just for numbers. You want to take guys that fit what (we) need.”

When Weis arrived at Notre Dame in 2005, he inherited a recruiting class that was ranked 40th in the country by Rivals.com. Notre Dame’s next four recruiting classes all ranked in the Top 21, including three straight hauls in the top eight, and the 2008 class ranked second.

While those numbers can be explained partly by Notre Dame’s status as a football powerhouse, the head coach’s reputation likely had something to do with it.

Similar results may be tough to duplicate at Kansas, but since taking the job, Weis has seemed determined to try.

“I’ll hire you a top staff. They’ve given me the resources to do that,” Weis told the Allen Fieldhouse crowd during Saturday’s basketball game. “I’ll get on the road and pound it on recruiting to supplement our team.”

Perhaps his biggest advantage in his quest to repeat history?

“I have knowledge that I didn’t have last time,” Weis said, “which makes things a lot easier going forward.”

Comments

seth5792 3 years ago

Matt...love your insight in all of this.....top notch. Do you know of any names being floated around as possible coordinators or assistants. Also has any definitive timetable been set to name his staff? Keep up the good work.

Michael Thorp 3 years ago

Thanks for the update Matt, you do a great job.

Noweigh 3 years ago

Matt....I agree with the above. KU hoops is fantastic but football has always played second fiddle. KU can be great in both. Just like basketball, regular updates and articles all year long on the football team are appreciated!!

droppinplates 3 years ago

Agree with Noweigh and it's time for KU fans to start supporting both teams. I've never understood the whole football ony, basketball only fans. How can KU fans not be supportive of both teams if they are a fan of KU.

And as far as the fat jokes, I think it's been played out with Mangino and now it's just pathetic. Fans of KSU and MU will make fun of our coaches with these types of jokes, why in the hell would KU fans do the same thing. Weis is our football coach. The university is trying to establish a winning football program. Maybe KU fans can change their attitude and start taking things more seriously by supporting the team and it's coaches. If people don't want to support football, they will likely see an end to a dominating basketball team because of all of the conference realignment talk. Like it or not, that's the world of college athletics now.

Jayhawk1963 3 years ago

I agree. I would have preferred Fulmer to Weis (better resume) but Weis will surely do better than Gill and he needs and deserves our support ! You are absolutely correct about conference realignment. KU probably has about 5 years to get their football act together before this happens again. Once UT gets their LNW in enough homes, they are likely to go independent. That would kill the Big 12 so KU and KSU need to use this time to become attractive enough for a bid to the Pac 12 or Big 10. Let's do it !!!!

droppinplates 3 years ago

Well, given a choice I would have chosen Fulmer as well. But the thing is, either of those guys are less risky than some next big hotshot coach. The name alone should get better quality recruits. That's a start. Bring in some top notch assistants and I believe we'll improve the fastest that way. If Weis kicks rocks in 5 years, so be it. Hopefully the program will have improved enough to (a) Hire an attractive, proven coach and (b) Look more attractive to potential conferences in case realignment happens.

Jim Williamson 3 years ago

No one loves KU football more than I do, but while I'd love a "great" football program to go with our great basketball program, I'd honestly be happy with a consistent 7-5 or 8-4 with the occasional 10-win season sneaking in there when everything falls into place and then some.

One of the main reasons I enjoyed watching Mangino's teams was because (1) I knew we had a really good chance of winning most every Saturday, and (2) even if we lost, the guys would not only play hard but look like they were well-coached and knew where they needed to be. Both of those things have been missing since Mangino was canned.

beaujackson 3 years ago

One has to realistic when competing in the big 12.

CardHawkFan 3 years ago

Any word on who might be on their way out, player-wise? Heard a rumor that Darian Miller may be one of them. I sure hope not. He has a chance to be really, really good. Any thoughts?

CardHawkFan 3 years ago

I had heard both names, too. Where are those names being reported from? Just curious. Thanks.

Jayhawk1958 3 years ago

Somewhat shocked that Gill's players were poor academically since he originally wanted to emphasize that. Oh well, another reason why he shouldn't have been retained.