Archive for Monday, December 12, 2011

1 dead, 1 injured in Leavenworth County car accident

December 12, 2011

A two-vehicle accident on Leavenworth County Road 1 left one woman dead and another taken to an area hospital by air ambulance Monday afternoon.

The accident occurred about 3:30 p.m. near County Road 1 and Hemphill Road just north of the Tonganoxie/Eudora interchange on Interstate 70.

Law enforcement officials were continuing to work to confirm the individual’s identity.

According to the Leavenworth County sheriff’s office, the woman was heading north on County Road 1 in a Volkswagen Beetle when she went to turn around at Hemphill Road and head back south on CR 1. A man driving a Dodge truck was headed south on the county road when his vehicle struck the passenger side of the Beetle. The vehicles came to rest southwest of the intersection.

The man was taken by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital. The sheriff’s office did not have further information about the man.

Kansas Highway Patrol, Leavenworth County Emergency Medical Services, as well as Reno Township Fire Department and Tonganoxie Township and city fire departments also responded.

Comments

consumer1 2 years, 4 months ago

LJW???? A person has died and you are not monitoring the remarks on here for sensitivity???? Get your priorties in order!!

Pywacket 2 years, 4 months ago

Driving into Baldwin from Lawrence on the back road (1055) at around 7:00 this evening, we passed a wreck on the Baldwin hill, with a vehicle upside down in the ditch. My son said there was a guy in cuffs but I can't confirm that. (I was driving and I hate gawkers; I was concentrating on getting safely around the emergency vehicles on the hill.)

I'm surprised there's nothing about that one on the LJW site. I guess they ignore wrecks unless someone is seriously injured, but for those who pass overturned or smashed cars or trucks, it would be nice to learn something about what happened. Can't report every fender bender, obviously, but people are naturally curious when they see vehicles belly up or significantly smashed up.

Clickker 2 years, 4 months ago

probably a hill there where the southbound truck just couldnt see the vehicle making a U-turn

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 4 months ago

I drove by there shortly after it happened. Both vehicles were badly damaged, and overturned in the ditch. That anyone survived is a miracle.

Deja Coffin 2 years, 4 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to both families. I hope that in the days a head you can find some peace through this whole ordeal and I pray the driver of the truck is able to make a full recovery.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

It's so terrible when things like this happen, it happens far too often.

What I think is the most tragic thing of all is that a disaster like this is forgotten so quickly by everyone except for the family and friends of the persons injured or killed.