Archive for Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gingrich assailed by rivals at debate

December 11, 2011

Attacked as a lifelong Washington insider, newly minted Republican front-runner Newt Gingrich parried criticism from Mitt Romney in a campaign debate Saturday night in Des Moines, telling the former Massachusetts governor, “The only reason you didn’t become a career politician is because you lost to Teddy Kennedy in 1994.”

Gingrich also defended himself against attacks from Texas Rep. Ron Paul and Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann in the first debate since he soared to the lead in polls nationally and in Iowa. The state’s caucuses on Jan. 3 will kick off the competition for Republican National Convention delegates who will pick an opponent to President Barack Obama.

All six Republicans on stage assailed Obama’s handling of the economy, the overriding issue of the election, yet split down the middle on legislation making its way toward a year-end vote in Congress to extend a Social Security payroll tax cut into 2012.

Romney, Gingrich and Paul said they favored it. Bachmann, Texas Gov., Rick Perry and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum opposed the measure.

The internal disagreement could well portend difficulties for legislation that Obama has proposed and Republican leaders in Congress view as essential if the party is to avoid being tagged for raising taxes.

Gingrich’s personal life has become a campaign issue, too, and it came up briefly Saturday night.

Gingrich, who has been divorced twice and has admitted past infidelity, said the issue was an important one, then added, “I’ve made mistakes at times and I’ve had to go to God for forgiveness.”

Comments

grammaddy 3 years ago

Has everyone forgotten about Newt's Congressional reprimand and $300,000 fine for ethics violations? One is a career politician and the other is a career candidate. Both are losers. Hawaiian Nija 2012!!

grammaddy 3 years ago

Training???Ayers held a fund raiser for him and they were employed at the same college.No ethics violations and no fine.How do you compare the two??? More conservative bs Hawaiian Ninja 2012!!.

Liberty275 3 years ago

No ethics violations and no fine... just bombs.

voevoda 3 years ago

FalseHopeNoChange, It is inappropriate for you to use "Arabic named guys" as a term of opprobrium. It is insulting to all Americans who happen to have names of Arabic derivation.

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

Is it really fair to note that Gingrich was fined $300,000 by the House, for taking a not allowed deduction, when a couple of years later the IRS ruled that the deduction was in fact legal?
I'm no fan of Newt, but if our taxing system is so complicated that the House of Representatives rules one way and the IRS rules another, then the complexity of the system deserves fault, not Newt's accountants who seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place.

gudpoynt 3 years ago

• Ending of DADT.
  • Re-regulation of some of the de-regulation that lead to the financial crisis.
  • Getting out of Iraq this year. Out of Afghanistan coming soon (hopefully).
  • We supported a popular uprising against an oppressive dictatorship in an oil rich country without sending in ground troops, or getting mired in another middle east war.
  • Pledge to close Gitmo. Hasn't gone as smoothly as the administration has hoped, but I'll bet you dollars to donuts, if Obama is reelected, there will be no Gitmo by 2016.

There you go, five Obama administration changes that are markedly different from the direction Bush had us headed by 2008.

Getaroom 3 years ago

Go figure the math again and again for this guy, in fact, go for the unlucky 13 and he is out!

A vote for "The Newt" is a vote for a true Sociopath. Can anyone else see a future running ticket?

Gingrich/Trump: the perfection of narcissism in the making.

Vote Obama! The President so many love to hate, never mind the war mongering GOP!

If for no other reason, vote Obama because, it makes "it's_just_ math" go looking for a "newt" calculator. Oh someone made a pun - for shame.

voevoda 3 years ago

Again, FalseHopeNoChange, it is inappropriate for you to use "Arabic named guy" as an insult. It is disrespectful to all your fellow citizens whose names come from Arabic. Such as General Omar Bradley.

Liberty275 3 years ago

Omar sounds like an arabic named guy. I think there are lots of them.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

"Half the population wants what the other have earns..." More along the lines of , 'the lower 99% want back what the 1% has stolen". This was in among an entire slew of misspellings, (is there even such a word as "malcontentity"?) in a hot ungrammatical mess. "bon mot no?" Ironically, no.

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

While you're parsing words, "what the 1% has stolen". To steal is a crime. If you know of individuals who have committed a crime, I, in the strongest terms possible, encourage you to call the appropriate authorities and report those crimes. However, I suspect you are not talking about specific people having committed specific crimes. You're just venting or perhaps a measure of literary license. Given that, everyone else on the planet may now substitute the word "stolen" with any word they choose, since truth and accuracy was not your intended goal.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

The six major heirs of the Walton fortune have exactly the same combined wealth of the bottom 30% of the whole danged country.

So corporate/capitalist worshippers must believe that these 6 people are exactly as productive as that 90 million people. Assuming this 90 million are lazy slackers who only work, on average, 5 hours a week, that means that the Super Waltons must put in the equivalent of about 75 million hours of work per week, each, right?

I'm impressed.

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

Who are those 90 million at the bottom of the wealth ladder in this country of 310 million. Wouldn't just adding children, the unemployed and disabled together give you somewhere in the 90 million range? "corporate/capitalist worshipers" - Would that be the shoppers at WalMart, Sam's Club, etc.? The hundreds of thousands of shoppers who vote with their pocketbook every day.

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

My "regularity" is personal and private. Your regularity should be as well.

Armstrong 3 years ago

I disagree. By the sheer volume and content of your posts you are not regular and for sure not constipated.

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

Funnier than tange.
And being neither dogmatically left nor right, I may indeed draw the ire of both. That said, my comments are usually made with a smile on my face, my permanent vertical smile still being none of anyone's business. And with that, I will bid this topic adieu.

Armstrong 3 years ago

My apologies, the response was to Tange

Armstrong 3 years ago

My apologies, the response was to Tange

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

No apology necessary. As I said, I post with a smile on my face (most of the time). I assume others do as well.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

"And being neither dogmatically left nor right...." Which does NOT make you look like a centrist. It simply makes you look indecisive and like you're unwilling to commit.

jhawkinsf 3 years ago

I was unaware that committing to dogma was a good thing.
I have some ideas that are far to the left and some that are far to the right. I have some ideas that are indeed centrist and on some topics I change my mind every other day. I guess that makes me...me.

Getaroom 3 years ago

Now wait a gaul dern minute bozo, you are going to go and cause "it's_just-math" to blow his calculator again and then where will be? Leaderless among the Blog elitists? Oh no! Whatever will we do without our mathematical moral and ethical compass to guide on. Guess it's back to that Liberal amoral Mother Jones again reporting more inconvenient statics. Oh well, give me liberty or give me.... Newtrich, Cain, Bachmann, Huntsman, Paul, BIGLOVE-Romney, Cilantro, Peter-Paul and Mary...... Nice line up if you like Weebles, they wobble, but they don't fall down - darn it!

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

Except Newt. He's not a Weeble, he's a Slinky.

Mike Ford 3 years ago

censorship.....sooo american...

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years ago

I am voting for Obama. This aggregation of blundering idiots that belong in the Ringling Brothers Circus leaves me wondering what ever hapened to intelligence, civility, competance, character, and reason.

Armstrong 3 years ago

Pompous - having an excessive sense of self - importance Arrogant - One who exaggerate's one's own worth or importqance

Armstrong 3 years ago

Pompous - having an excessive sense of self - importance. Arrogant - One who exaggerate's one's own worth or importance

beatrice 3 years ago

I'll bet you $10,000 that neither Romney nor Gingrich become president.

Getaroom 3 years ago

Free Market Weebles come in all colors and outfits suited for their life work - so fashion and racism are no factor here. That does it for me, I am voting Weebels all the way Jose, documented or not, ID's or not. They can take a lickin' and keep on wobbling. Weebels are common folks, well rounded where it counts and have strong family bonds and perfect family values. If it weren't for the weebels nothing would get done and imagine a day without a weebel? Horrors, if it ever comes to that.

In contrast, imagine a day without a Newtrich? Nothing gained and nothing lost, but perhaps a Sociopath. And for BIGLOVE Romney, nothing lost but all the human profit worshipping. How many golden calves(to melt down for resources) does one religion need anyway? More profits can easily be made in the compound anytime they are needed. But The Weebles are so perfect for us all and production can be non Gov regulated easily, to control population growth. Raise your votes high for the Weebles!!

Getaroom 3 years ago

This news blast just in from The Strawman: Once again the calculations are coming in fast and furious on who is winning the electable candidate race in Iowa. It appears that The Weebles are pulling ahead of Newtrich. It seems that the potential straw poll voters have been influenced by the Agribusiness Strawman. Things are popping out there in the heart of America, so stay tuned to see if salt will be rubbed into the wounds of Newtrich after his numbers fell like unpopped kernels in the bottom of the bowl. That clanking sound you hear is not money filling Newtrich's coffers as was hoped for by his staggering campaign workers. Stay tuned for more stunning news from the front row seats.

Cait McKnelly 3 years ago

Soooo...just wondering. What if the unthinkable happens and Obama gets a second term? You have any plans?

jafs 3 years ago

Predicting the future is a rather unreliable business.

I'm curious, though, how confident are you really? Would you make a wager of any sizable amount on the outcome?

pace 3 years ago

I think it is unfair to look at the past history, actions, remarks, votes or stands of any candidate. We should only consider what we imagine they might do in the future or if they were aliens.