Archive for Saturday, December 10, 2011

Players welcome Charlie Weis’ idea of discipline

Kansas football players Toben Opurum, Kale Pick and Tanner Hawkinson gave their thoughts on the hiring of Charlie Weis as their new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

December 10, 2011

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Charlie Weis press conference

Charlie Weis was introduced as Kansas University's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Charlie Weis introduced as Kansas head football coach

Charlie Weis said taking the head coaching job at Kansas was the right move for him and his family. Weis addressed the media Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

There will be puke buckets.

Kansas offensive tackle Tanner Hawkinson didn’t remember everything from Friday morning’s team meeting with new football coach Charlie Weis, but he did recall that detail, which was promised during winter conditioning.

“He said it as a joke,” Hawkinson said with a smile, “but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a joke.”

Hawkinson said a few players laughed about it. Others knew not to.

“I’m not surprised that’s what’s going to be going on,” Hawkinson said. “That’s how you build your program.”

After Weis’ introductory news conference Friday, KU football players seemed open to the new coach’s ideas and stricter style of coaching.

“He made it pretty clear to us that things were going to be tough,” KU outside linebacker Toben Opurum said. “It’s not going to be easy, and I fully expected that. You can’t go from 2-10 to being champions easily.”

In a subtle way, both Hawkinson and Opurum indicated that KU’s football program would benefit from Weis’ arrival.

Hawkinson was especially happy to hear Weis talk about discipline during his meeting with the team.

“I feel like we needed a little bit of change around here,” Hawkinson said. “Kind of like Dr. (Sheahon) Zenger and coach Weis were talking about, there’s some little things here and there discipline-wise. There was definitely a need for someone to put the foot down and just kind of say, ‘Hey, this is the way we’re going to do things.’”

Opurum said Weis’ strong record of graduating players at Notre Dame also stood out as a positive.

“It just helps a lot, knowing you have a coach who really cares about your academics,” Opurum said. “To have every student-athlete come through your door graduate, I feel like that’s really impressive. And a lot of guys here — to be honest — a lot of guys are struggling right now. And I feel like to have your head coach kind of on your back about that, it’ll help a lot.”

Coincidentally, Opurum was recruited by Notre Dame in high school while Weis was the head coach there.

The Richardson, Texas, native ended up selecting KU, but not before taking a campus visit to South Bend, Ind.

“He’s the same guy as I met a couple years ago,” Opurum said of Weis. “He’s straight-forward. He’s completely honest. He’ll tell you himself: He’ll probably never lie to you.”

During Weis’ meeting with KU’s players Friday, he started to get to know everyone while also setting the bar for his expectations.

“If there’s change, it means obviously something isn’t going right,” Opurum said. “So obviously, winning five games in the last two years is not something that anyone wants to do. It’s not something I wanted to do while I’ve been here.”

That lack of success is the reason that he isn’t fearing the hard work that’s coming.

Or the promise of puke buckets.

“It’s funny,” Opurum said, “until it actually becomes reality.”

Comments

newmedia 3 years ago

Move Toben back to offense. He can again be a bruising running back and pocket pass protector. Obviously, this is why I don't coach but fun to discuss.

Bob Forer 3 years ago

A good possibility. Weis loves offense and would be thrilled to have an athlete like Toben on his side of the ball.

rtwngr 3 years ago

Why he was ever moved from offense to defense was beyond me. He was the leading rusher from the previous year. No defense wants this guy pounding up the middle in the 3rd and 4th quarters of a football game. That wears you down.

Conditioning was something Mangino preached and something Gill did not do. KU had no gas in the tank for the last quarter of any game this year. My opinion is the program traded up.

Graczyk 3 years ago

From these players' quotes, it sounds to me like they knew there were problems under Gill with academics, conditioning, and discipline. I'm a little surprised about the academic struggling.

greenworld 3 years ago

I agree on moving Toben back to offense. This guy is huge and can knock people over and get 8-10 yrds anytime he wants to. I also wouldnt count Pick out as a backup QB. Pick never really got to prove himself and I think up to this day has a stronger arm than Webb has and probly is more mobile in some ways. Anybody that couldnt figure out that Webb wasnt the answer and kept playing him and losing him is a total idiot. If you want to see highlights of Toben just go to youtube and type in his name and every single highlight is of him scoring td's on OFFENSE, not one is of him of defense, that should tell you something. Toben is the real deal on offense. Turner Gill was the biggest joke of a coach that I have ever seen. The time Weis gets done with these dudes they will become winners and MEN together. Some may quit and some may decide its not for them but I guarantee you we wont have any powder puffs on our team after ole Charlie gets done with them. Prepare for a team that walks out on field together as a team and doesnt jump up and down and kicks azz and takes names and walks off the field together. Personally I get so tired of dudes celebrating and jumping up and down when they are down 40 points it makes me sick.

Tom Wilson 3 years ago

Unfortunately, after one player complains about the coach being "too hard" on them, Weiss will follow Mangino with the same fate.

homechanger 3 years ago

Wrong. That was Perkins way of getting rid of mangina. It's no secret that lew did not like mark.

heybluekc 3 years ago

Toben was recruited to Notre Dame as a defender. In fact every program that wanted him recruited him as a defender. That is the reason he came to Kansas because Mangino was the only one who said he can play offense.

greenworld 3 years ago

Well that could be but his highlights on youtube all show him at running back and even the ones of him in highschool at Plano high

shotgun 3 years ago

Mangino preaching conditioning? LMAO!

heybluekc 3 years ago

He rates to be a possible NFL defensive end. He had no chance to make it to the league as a RB.

greenworld 3 years ago

I disagree. Toben has had more Td's at Ku than Qb sacks. last year he had 21 tackles and 1 sack. thats not that good as opposed to his freshman yr he led the team in rushing with 554 yards and 9 td's. Became the first freshman to lead Kansas in rushing in a season since Clark Green in 2002. Most the games he started at rb he had 100 yard games rushing but I know back then he was our go to guy at rb next to Jake Sharp. Now we have 3 pretty good quality rb's so it probably wouldnt make sense to move him back to it but sure wouldnt hesistate to put him in on a goaline situation and give him the ball.