Archive for Saturday, December 10, 2011

Next job for Charlie Weis: find QB

Charlie Weis makes an opening statement after being introduced by Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger during a news conference Friday in which Weis was announced as the new head football coach.

December 10, 2011

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Charlie Weis press conference

Charlie Weis was introduced as Kansas University's new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Charlie Weis introduced as Kansas head football coach

Charlie Weis said taking the head coaching job at Kansas was the right move for him and his family. Weis addressed the media Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex.

Players surprised by, happy with Weis hire

Kansas football players Toben Opurum, Kale Pick and Tanner Hawkinson gave their thoughts on the hiring of Charlie Weis as their new head football coach Friday, Dec. 9, 2011 at the Anderson Family Football Complex. Enlarge video

The question came from across the table, from a friend who knows how to get to the heart of the matter.

“Did you like him?” he asked, meaning Charlie Weis, knowing I had just attended his introductory news conference.

It’s a coach’s job to make everybody like him when he’s saying hello. And it’s my job to see through staged news conferences, almost look for reasons not to like the star of the show, in case he’s a phony.

My response: “I’ve known a lot of Jersey guys. He struck me as the kind of Jersey guy I’ll like.”

By that, I meant he’s direct, in charge, funny, confident, not afraid to let you know when you’re annoying him, and above all, sarcastic. You understand why some others might not like him, but you like him. That’s the first impression he made.

He’s a splashy hire, all right, but he didn’t come across, even a little bit, as a splashy guy.

As New England Patriots offensive coordinator, Weis was the first NFL tutor to the greatest quarterback of all-time, Tom Brady. When I asked Weis for qualities in Brady that we don’t see on TV on Sunday, he supplied objective and subjective samples, in that order, of the football qualities of a man he refers to as “Tommy,” a man he said is “like family to us.”

Weis said he had to go back to Dan Marino to remember a quarterback not gifted with quick feet “be so smooth in the pocket.”

“His feet are so still,” Weis said. “There are times he just stands there. There are people all around. He just stands there. And there are times he has to move a little to the left, a little to the right or go back or go forward, he does it, finds a window and throws the ball. I’ve never seen anyone so calm playing the quarterback position. Now, you’re going to watch him play, and you’re going to see what I’m talking about.”

Then Weis referred to the indefinable quality possessed by all great ones in all sports.

“OK, now subjectively, there are certain people who have it, and I can’t tell you what ‘it’ is, he has it. If you’re around him, whatever ‘it’ is, you’d know it, because that’s what ‘it’ is,” Weis said.

It’s not something that can be spotted in a conversation, so KU’s new football coach looks to learn the intangibles of a quarterback prospect in other ways.

“You can go into it the school and watch what everyone thinks about him,” Weis said. “See, when I go into a school, I like to talk to people other than coaches. ’Cause the coaches are always going to say how great the kid is. I like talking to the custodians. I like talking to the lunch lady. I like talking to the police guy who works in the school, ’cause they’re the ones who will tell you what the kids are really like. I mean, you can watch on tape to see whether he can play. You like to see how the kid is viewed by his peers in view of leadership and as long as you have a quarterback who’s viewed as a leader, you have a good chance.”

It’s easy to see Weis talking to the custodian, the security enforcer at a school. He looks and talks more like those guys than like the splashy hire.

Weis doesn’t need to return to Notre Dame to ask anybody about the quarterback he covets. He’s been there, done that years ago when he recruited Dayne Crist, a 6-foot-4, 235-pound pocket passer. Crist played for Weis for two seasons at Notre Dame, was injured and red-shirted one year under Brian Kelly and was benched the next. He’s graduating this month and can transfer and be eligible immediately.

Look for Crist in Allen Fieldhouse today. Weis can’t talk about him by name. He can’t tell everybody in Allen Fieldhouse that when a 6-4 young man pins a bear hug on him, that’s a sign to break into chants of “We want Dayne! We want Dayne! We want Dayne!”

Crist, a one-year player, would be a nice start. If Weis does a better job of assembling a staff than he did at Notre Dame and treats the coaches under him with respect, he could be well on his way to justifying the over-the-top enthusiasm already expressed by so many KU supporters.

“He’s created so much of a buzz and excitement; I think we’re going to have 25,000 at the spring game,” said Bernie Kish, who in order to move to Lawrence, where he teaches at KU, left his 10-year post as head of the College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend, Ind., a few months after Weis came to town.

Weis has a tough challenge on his hands. The offseason workouts will run off some players who aren’t up to it, and the ones who stay on board will give Weis a head-start on evaluating his team. He’ll already know the identity of the tough guys.

Comments

stevieboy 3 years ago

A qb who only has 1 year of eligibility? Not sure about that move..Oh well, it cant get any worse than it was.We just have to get better players to come here,not sure that will happen anytime soon...

kujayhawk7476 3 years ago

You're right, it can't get any worse than Jordan Webb. By allowing Crist to play for one season, the two QB's signed as recruits by Reggie Mitchell will have time to grow and learn for a year before playing for real. Jordan Webb is definitely not the answer and neither is any of his back-ups.

ShockHawk10 3 years ago

Some of the most negative "fans" come to these boards to post their dislike for the hiring of Charlie Weis. I believe that these same "fans" are the kind of people that can never be happy; eternal pessimists. Weis is a great hire for the University of Kansas. He has an excellent football mind and a toughness that the previous staff did not have. He has national name recognition that will open doors alone. Weis will hire a coaching staff that will rival any KU has seen, and we should all know that the head man is only as good as his staff. In the matter of one day, KU has gone from the laughing stock of the college football landscape to receiving positive national attention. In many eyes, KU does not deserve Charlie Weis. The question has been asked over and over; Why would Charlie Weis accept the KU job? This doesn't matter. What matters is that AD Zenger got his man, and he is on campus and ready to go. Weis nailed the press conference, speaking of a hard nosed approach to change the mind set of the program. This is exactly what we need. I for one couldn't be happier to have Weis leading our program into the future. After the disaster that was the Turner Gill era, this is a grand slam hire! Welcome to Kansas Coach Weis. We (alumni and true fans) couldn't be happier to have you.

stevieboy 3 years ago

You posted this exact same thing on another article...lol

stevieboy 3 years ago

My sports background consists of coaching different sports for 30 years...football,baseball baketball,soccer..And I do got to some football games and i do stay till the end.

kujayhawk7476 3 years ago

So, "stevieboy", are you a KU football season ticket holder or just a whiner and a complainer?

ShockHawk10 3 years ago

I did. Everyone doesn't read every article and thread. I felt that a positive comment was needed following the reading of the negative comments above. I'm not sure why you find this to be so funny. I've doubled my readership.

stevieboy 3 years ago

A whiner and complainer is some one who doesn't agree with you? Not everyone thinks this was a good move. A short term fix at best..He wont be here more than a couple years...

ShockHawk10 3 years ago

Just wondering... What is the basis for this opinion? What leads you to believe that Weis will only be at KU for a couple years?

ShockHawk10 3 years ago

You apparently have a negative outlook on humanity. You have no faith in KU, our AD, or our Chancellor. Weis could have continued to receive a paycheck at Florida where he was more than making a living. He chose to come to KU DESPITE all of the obstacles. He obviously wants to be here and lead our (you are not included) program into the future. He is replacing his hip in a couple of weeks and should be on the recruiting trail not long after. Additionally, recruiting coordinators are hired for this very reason among many others. Reggie Mitchell is one of the best, and Weis is retaining him. The only "dumb" thing here is your complete lack of faith in the University of Kansas. I suspect you are not a KU graduate, but a fan of Kansas sports; KSU football and KU basketball. These are the worst of fans and you appear to be their voice. My suggestion to you is to head over to the KC Star's site and join the host of ignorant Missouri fans criticizing this hire. RCJH!

fabian_zimbabwe 3 years ago

Ignorant trolls like stevieboy crack me up...what miserable lives they must lead. In any case, welcome to Lawrence, Coach Weis...looking forward to better performances on the gridiron!

TexAzAg 3 years ago

Stevieboy, what is your solution? Do have an alternate suggestion on a different direction ku should have moved? Or, do you simply object without thought?

justajoe 3 years ago

So, to borrow from the words and phrases I've just read to summarize the sentiments of many of these posts, anyone who doesn't agree with those of you who call this hire a "grand slam" and Zenger a genius is a dumb, miserable, uneducated, negative, pessimistic whiner and complainer who hates KU, himself and humanity.

Guess we know who typically has their television sets tuned to Fox News.

Jayhawk1963 3 years ago

Actually, more to the point, we know who you are: one of those really "intelligent" individuals who kisses his Obamanation bumper sticker daily and just feels so good about himself !

BTW, although I'm sure Weis will win more games than Gill would have, I was disappointed in the pick, Fulmer has a resume that is considerably better than Zenger's choice.

justajoe 3 years ago

I suppose I should at least consider myself fortunate for not having been a target of some of the nasty names you lob at others on this website. Your post on November 28, 2011 alone makes that point. But I'd suggest you stop recycling your "Obamanation bumper sticker" line. The successful comedians always say you have to keep the material fresh.

ShockHawk10 3 years ago

Nasty names? The implication you posted previously is the nastiest of all insults. The hypocrisy is oozing through my computer screen.

justajoe 3 years ago

"The implication you posted previously is the nastiest of all insults."

Uh, what? I have no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds really bad and quite serious.

ShockHawk10 3 years ago

Pointing out the pessimism and lack of support for our university does not make me or anyone a Republican. Actually, I'm not sure how political ideology comes into play here. No one is being censored, and everyone is free to post their opinion. If I am to follow your logic, your comment in opposition to opinion on this thread must make you a right wing Republican. I'm suggesting removal for posting the greatest of all insults. RCJH!

justajoe 3 years ago

"Pointing out the pessimism and lack of support for our university does not make me or anyone a Republican."

Where did I say that it did? I only mentioned Fox News to make my point that the earlier posters were displaying a childish inability to tolerate opposing points of view. You're the one who was unable to grasp that straightforward comparison and who then drew the connection between Fox and Republicans (not that I'd dispute that connection, even if it wasn't the one I was making). I'm sorry you inadvertently fell into the trap of acknowledging that Fox News is a Republican tool, but that was your doing, not mine.

"No one is being censored, and everyone is free to post their opinion."

Again, how does that statement apply to my posts? Where did I say that someone should be censored or should not feel free to express their opinion? I was doing precisely the opposite by making the case for some civility and tolerance.

"If I am to follow your logic, your comment in opposition to opinion on this thread must make you a right wing Republican."

Perish the thought! But again, when was I, as you put it, "in opposition to opinion?" The only thing I was objecting to was the verbal abuse those who didn't agree with you and some others were being subjected to. What's wrong with that?. If you think I was doing anything beyond that, show me my words that prove it.

"I'm suggesting removal for posting the greatest of all insults."

The greatest of all insults being...? Perhaps for my objecting to childish name calling aimed at those who have a dissenting view, like they do on Fox News? Congratulations, you just made my point. And finally, you falsely accuse me of being "in opposition to opinion" and then turn right around and inform me that you're "suggesting removal for posting the greatest of all insults." Priceless.

boomer1110 3 years ago

I'm glad he's keeping Coach Mitchell to lead recruiting! That was a very positive move IMHO!

Jerry Collins 3 years ago

Same problem we had with Mangino. We can afford to pay him but can we afford to feed him?