Archive for Thursday, December 8, 2011

Charlie Weis to be announced as next KU football coach

December 8, 2011, 4:16 p.m. Updated December 9, 2011, 12:41 a.m.

Charlie Weis, formerly the offensive coordinator at Florida, gets off the Kansas University plane at the Lawrence Airport on Thursday night around 8:30 p.m. Weis has agreed to become the 37th football coach in KU history. KU will hold a press conference to introduce Weis on Friday.

When Kansas University athletic director Sheahon Zenger left town on Nov. 30 in search of a replacement for former KU football coach Turner Gill, he vowed not to return to Lawrence until he had his guy.

Thursday, just before 8:45 p.m., Zenger hopped off the university plane at the Lawrence airport and set foot on Lawrence soil for the first time since leaving. A couple of steps behind him was new KU coach Charlie Weis.

“Great to see you all out here this late,” said Weis to a group of seven members of the media awaiting his arrival. “That’s good for us.”

In all, KU’s coaching search spanned 11 days, multiple states and wasn’t finalized until Thursday. Through it all, Zenger, who said he went about the search in a unique way from the start, landed a coach with the kind of résumé that measures up to just about anyone.

“It’s good to be home,” Zenger told the Journal-World less than an hour after stepping off the plane. “And it’s great to bring a man like Charlie Weis with me.”

In Weis, Zenger delivers to Lawrence a coach with 16 years of experience as an NFL assistant — with four Super Bowl rings — and five seasons as the head coach at Notre Dame.

After serving as the offensive coordinator with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2010, Weis spent the 2011 season as the offensive coordinator at Florida. Prior to that, he coached at Notre Dame from 2005-09, where he led the Irish to a 35-27 record and three bowl appearances, and made stops in the NFL with the New York Giants, New York Jets and New England Patriots.

While coaching under Bill Parcells in the early 1990s, Weis helped the Giants win Super Bowl XXV in 1991. A decade later, he teamed with New England coach Bill Belichick to lead the Patriots to Super Bowl titles in 2002, 2004 and 2005.

Zenger was not the only member of the KU community excited by Weis’ hiring. As word began to spread across campus and reaction poured in from current and former Jayhawks across the country, KU men’s basketball coach Bill Self applauded the beginning of a new era of Kansas football.

“I think Kansas fans should be excited about Sheahon’s football hire today,” Self said. “We hired a guy that has an unbelievable résumé and has experienced success at the highest levels. In his first two years at Notre Dame, he coached in BCS bowls. With the Patriots, he won three Super Bowls. With the Giants, he won one Super Bowl and has participated in another Super Bowl. He’s been a coach for a long time and obviously has a great mind. I think this is one that will definitely ripple waters in our league.”

Weis will be officially announced as the 37th football coach in KU history at a news conference set for 5 p.m. today.

Comments

squawkhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

This says a lot and why I'm not excited. Numbers don't lie.

Notre Dame 2005 - 9-3 2006 - 10-2 2007 - 3-9 2008 - 7-6 2009 - 6-6

TOTAL - 35-26

Recruiting Class Rankings - Rivals 2005 - #40 2006 - #8 2007 - #8 2008 - #2 2009 - #21

GridironHawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Yea look at where the offense ranked each of those years (2007 reflected the 3-9 record). He was 8th in the nation in total yds/gm in the year he was fired by ND. He had numerous loses by less than 7 pts. I'll take those numbers at KU and take my chance on turning those closes losses into wins.

Ken Miller 3 years, 7 months ago

Well at least KU will sell a few more season tickets for 2012. Beyond that, who knows what the program will look like 3-4 years from now.

DRsmith 3 years, 7 months ago

Kudos on that hire Zenger. Way to go get someone we have heard of. Should do well.

Arthur McElhenie 3 years, 7 months ago

Good Job, Sheahon. I think Weis will do well because of his vast experience.

eotw33 3 years, 7 months ago

Charles Joseph "Charlie" Weis (born March 30, 1956) is an American football head coach at the University of Kansas. He recently served as offensive coordinator for the Florida Gators. For five years, from December 2004 through 2009, he was the head football coach at the University of Notre Dame. From 1997 to 1999, he was an NFL offensive coordinator for the New York Jets, as well as for the New England Patriots from 2000 to 2004 NFL season, and the Kansas City Chiefs for the 2010 season.

kd10kd 3 years, 7 months ago

This is a poor hire. Weis could not win with talent at (ND), how in the hell can he win at KU. The KU job (recruiting, PR, relationship with players) needed to be someone younger and up and coming, not as a has been. Weis has profited from NE Brady and his days in the NFL as an assistant, here we go again hiring another coach with no football experience as a player (Magino, Leach, Weis, ?). This coach needed to be someone hungry and with a chip on his shoulder about the system, believe this is not the guy.

jhawkjjm 3 years, 7 months ago

I agree, disappointing hire. There is a huge difference between a professional and college coach. This decision was made about boosting relevancy (i.e. money) in the short term but does little to ensure long term success.

I won't say it's a bad hire until I see who he brings in as a D-coordinator. His defenses and ND were attrocious.

squawkhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Ho Hum! Not the big splash I had hoped but probably better than some unknown coordinator or another DII coach. The guy couldn't win at Notre Dame with 4 and 5 star athletes but who knows. My biggest question is how is his recruiting going to be since he was at ND and recently at Florida? Can he pull in the Texas kids we seem to rely on.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 7 months ago

I like it.

Getting the right assistant coaches will be the key.

Looks like we got a guy who definitely knows both the game of football and the business of college and professional football as a manager and as an innovator of the game.

He can be the wise sage and then we can get some drill sargeants to run the practices.

CHEEZIT 3 years, 7 months ago

Not a home run! More like a Double!!!

justajoe 3 years, 7 months ago

Or maybe we're trying to stretch a single into a double. Mr. Weis isn't exactly known for his speed on the paths. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

But thanks for reminding me that there's always baseball to look forward to.

rockchalker52 3 years, 7 months ago

A solid triple for SZ, will be a home run if Leavitt is DC. Do ya s'pose Weis will call his own plays? C'mon, I already miss the guessing games. Who will be the coordinators?

CHEEZIT 3 years, 7 months ago

Somebody on 810 said Tim Grunhardt was interested in OC. Keitzman shot that down! Its not high school! Then again they think Len Dawson is a God??? Can't stand when he is doing Chiefs broadcast!!! Always acts like he knows better! Lenny that was 40 years ago!!!

lilmanjs 3 years, 7 months ago

not the best coach we could probably have gotten, but the man will probably be able to get us some players for defense. no more of this taking good offensive players and trying to make them learn how to tackle.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 7 months ago

You do realize that he's primarily an offensive coach, right?

lilmanjs 3 years, 7 months ago

I do know that he's an offensive coach, but a winning coach. nobody wants to play for a coach who can't win games. he wins, and that gets kids to come play for KU.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 7 months ago

To all who think this is a bad hire: I guess beggars can be choosers!

pocorio 3 years, 7 months ago

Is KU crazy or are there no other options. If Weis couldn't cut it at ND how is he going to suceed at KU. KU is a much more difficult job.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah because the Chiefs offense really sucked while he was around...1st in rushing, 9th in total offense, 11th in total points, 3 offensive pro bowlers (Charles, Bowe, Waters). Oh and Matt Cassel threw 27 TDs with 5 INTs...

gripp42 3 years, 7 months ago

If this isn't a home run for KU then what would be?! I am thrilled to get a coach with such a huge resume....he won at ND. Tell me what coach has won bug at ND since holtz?

jhawkjjm 3 years, 7 months ago

He went to 2 BCS games with Tyrone Willingham's players. And got blown out in the BCS game each year. After that he was very mediocre and had a losing record his last 3 years.

Lee Eldridge 3 years, 7 months ago

Believe he only had one losing season at ND.

blindrabbit 3 years, 7 months ago

Bring Clint Bowen back as an assistant with the prospect of 3-4 years out!

blindrabbit 3 years, 7 months ago

Bring Clint Bowen back as an assistant with the prospect of 3-4 years out!

Steve Jacob 3 years, 7 months ago

Most of 810AM Sports believe like I do that my feelings are mixed. His only head job was at ND, and he won his first two years, then he lost with his players. Also, four teams in four years, and his health. What happens if his family has problems again?

We will see, heck, the last time he followed a African-American head coach who got fired after only two years, he went to BCS bowls the next two years!

irvan moore 3 years, 7 months ago

nobody cuts it at nd, they still remember the 50s and have unreal expectations

stevieboy 3 years, 7 months ago

what a joke! he wont last 2-3 years...just a name and nothing else..another senior citizen joke...i know i wont be going to any games next year...pathtetic

stevieboy 3 years, 7 months ago

He has the personality of a wet blanket...fans will and alum will grow tired of him real quick!

jwbird 3 years, 7 months ago

KUDOS to Zenger! At least now we have a coach! Charlie will be able to get better players to KU. Our offense will be better! What we had prior to this was a JOKE! The firing came to late. But now we have a coach. I have been bummed for awhile. Today I feel better.

friendlyjhawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Can't wait to hear all the hostilities that Keegan will be spitting out about this hire. Bring it on Keegan and show us how smart you are.

gripp42 3 years, 7 months ago

I hope they save the best comments here for a time capsule 5 years from now.

ranger73 3 years, 7 months ago

Unbelievable. He has name recognition and that is about it. Didn't do much with his recruits and didn't show to be that great a recruiter at ND. As for ND fans being unreasonable, pot meet kettle! What, 3-4 bowl games since 1968, the most recent against a weak schedule and a watered down Big 12. I will reserve judgement for a few yeara after gills players are gone and he has his own class.

manONmoon 3 years, 7 months ago

This is HUGE for KU. Notre Dame was his first time coaching college football. He has a proven resume of being a great football mind and now he has the experience. Can't do much better at KU especially with all the vacancies open this year. I can't believe I am reading half of these comments!

Mark Moore 3 years, 7 months ago

I was hoping KU would go for a coach that wasn't as long in the tooth with a record of success at every stop, e.g. Doeren at UNI. Then, should he have success at KU, he may pull a Bill Snyder and build a program as well as a legacy. Instead we have an older coach who in his lone stint as a H.C. lead to decreased success on the field as time went by. I'm dissappointed.

Graczyk 3 years, 7 months ago

Dude is 55. That isn't exactly old. How long to do most college coaches last in a job anyway? I think even ten years is unusual.

John Gibson 3 years, 7 months ago

I didn't stop my car to order my season ticket for next year when I heard his name. I saw it yesterday and was hoping it was just more wild speculation or another rumor. 107th in offense at Florida! not too promising. the first thought that came to my mind when I heard his name was 'oh no, here come the fat jokes and the fatman t-shirts again'. All I can do is hope this one works out as well as it can for football at KU. I too think it will be interesting to see who his new coaching staff will include. We can only go up, right? right?

javelin 3 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations to Zenger on his hard work and keeping the names under wraps! Great job! This is something we should be excited about!

drillsgt 3 years, 7 months ago

This all sounds like the same grips when KU hired Bill Self.....just remember that..

buffalo63 3 years, 7 months ago

No, I was happy with the Self hire as he was coming from a winning program. My first reaction on Weis was, "Oh no, are you kidding me?" Hoping my reaction is dead wrong!

BigAl 3 years, 7 months ago

Weis = Home run. Outside of this anonymous forum, I haven't heard one negative word about this. Most people think Zenger did an outstanding job with this. Great hire!

blindrabbit 3 years, 7 months ago

As part of the hiring process, throw in a stomach bypass or staple job at K.U. Med.!

Graczyk 3 years, 7 months ago

I think he already had one of those in the 90s and they botched the surgery. I'm serious.

Jayhawk1958 3 years, 7 months ago

This Notre Dame thing is not a good measure of his success. Notre Dame always has had unrealistic expectations and others have failed there as well like Bob Davie.

riverdrifter 3 years, 7 months ago

I'd guess the first question in the interview process Zenger asked Charlie was "Who would your coordinators and assistants be? Who's the successor?" A steppingstone hire perhaps -like a lot of folks thought Bill Snyder would be- all those years ago.

hawksfanatic 3 years, 7 months ago

The comments on this hire are scathing on Rivals. My God, you would think we hired an absolute moron. At this point, I don't know what to think. I have to admit that my first reaction when I saw his name mentioned was 'Oh, no." The fat jokes are flying - the coaching record jokes are flying. My true blue is bleeding crimson at the moment. I hope SZ knows what he's doing. Everyone's saying ND's coaching expectations are high, but why shouldn't ours be as well? I'm well aware of our history - we need someone who can build a program. I hope for the best. Good luck, Coach Weis. May the wins come our way. Rock Chalk.

3 years, 7 months ago

Zenger pack your bags. This is a bad hire. Totally a joke.

Steve Tramba 3 years, 7 months ago

What's awesome about all the haters above is "their" choices will never have a chance to be proven more successful since they weren't chosen. Give this guy a chance - it can't get any WORSE than it is right now. I'm not drinking from the BCS juice just yet, but in THREE years, when he gets his players, I like our chances. The commenter about no coach winning at ND since Holtz is spot on, & even before Holtz ND wasn't relevant either... it's an NBC created myth of success - please. I'm behind you coach... RCJH!

farmbo 3 years, 7 months ago

Should have given Gill 2 more years you cant turn a program around in 2 years. C W will be gone in 3 years he cant win and his health is suspect.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

So, that means I should keep my resume on the ready-- cool, hope springs eternal!!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

Damn-- Does this mean I didn't get the job, AGAIN!!!

And I even had my half-page resume gold embossed.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

(Well, it was fool's gold, but I figured they wouldn't look that close.)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

In reviewing comments, opinion seems split. If they had hired me, opinions would have been unanimous.

I'm a uniter, not a divider.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 7 months ago

Repetia ad nausea is the order of the day on sportstalk threads-- just trying to fit in.

BTW, I totally would have taken the job.

buffalo63 3 years, 7 months ago

Totally against. You are right on this one. A uniter!

beaujackson 3 years, 7 months ago

We'll know if this is the right guy in three years.

jayhawkinsf 3 years, 7 months ago

I can't believe everyone saying this is a bad hire. What makes anyone think we had a chance at Leech or Fedora. You're dreaming if you think we could get Gruden. Heck, why not try to get Vince Lombardi. Charlie Weis is now a Jayhawk and if he does a great job, we'll be in some minot bowl game in two years.

Graczyk 3 years, 7 months ago

Go drink your punch and leave the rest of us to see how this unfolds next season.

riverdrifter 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm a season ticket holder for the Chiefs. The best offense I've ever seen from them came from Weis. He has a one-track football mind. What's critical is how he hires his DC and how the Texas recruiting pipeline is managed.

BigAl 3 years, 7 months ago

Great hire! Home-run hit deep over the center field wall. Outside of a few haters on here, I haven't heard one person think this is bad. Even my KSU friends think this was a home run. I would totally ignore the haters on this forum because most other people, including people close to the program, think this is a great hire. And with the rumor mill saying Leavitt may come as a d-coordinator, this takes this well over the top.

Great job Mr. Zenger!