Archive for Wednesday, December 7, 2011

City seeks to hire construction manager for library expansion

December 7, 2011

City commissioners on Tuesday sent another sign that they may consider moving the Lawrence Public Library to a new location while its current facility at Seventh and Vermont streets undergoes a $19 million expansion.

Commissioners unanimously directed staff to begin the process of hiring a construction manager for the library expansion project. Commissioners were told a construction manager could help the city decide whether it would be feasible to keep the library operations in place while construction work happens at the site.

City Manager David Corliss said maintaining library operations at the site during the expansion will be difficult. The city, however, has committed to making library services available somewhere during the construction project.

A construction management company will take the place of a general contractor for the project. That means instead of the city receiving one overall bid for the project, the city will break the project into smaller bid packages.

The construction management firm will be paid a fee that is negotiated up front. The city will issue a request for proposals in the next several weeks.

Comments

deec 3 years ago

We should start a pool. Fritzel vs. Compton. Which one has already secretly been awarded the contract? Or are there other horses in the race I've forgotten?

Noweigh 3 years ago

You're rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The bigger issue is the misguided use of 19 million dollars. Of all the things Lawrence desperately needs, a largerm "more modern" library is way, way down on the list.

deec 3 years ago

I concur. I loved the library when i lived in Lawrence, but I would have voted against it. A branch library out (gasp) west or south would have made much more sense. But then the downtown players wouldn't have got their new parking garage so they can build on the surface parking lots.

Sunny Parker 3 years ago

How about stop the entire project and save our tax dollars for something that is really needed!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years ago

"The Day I Read a Book"

by Jimmy Durante

There's one day that I recall, though it was years ago. All my life I will remember it, I know. I'll never forget the day I read a book. It was contagious, seventy pages. There were pictures here and there, So it wasn't hard to bear, The day I read a book. It's a shame I don't recall the name of the book. It wasn't a history. I know because it had no plot. It wasn't a mystery, because nobody there got shot. The day I read a book ? I can't remember when, But one o' these days, I'm gonna do it again. SPOKEN: Ah, lit'rature! There's nothin' like sittin' home...

to hear a recording--

Sunny Parker 3 years ago

Don't forget the head honcho who will manage the library who will be making $100,000 a year!

DrQuack 3 years ago

Let's have another vote on this project. It's a bone head waste of tax payer money. Does anyone think some contractor pushed this expansion over on the public? The construction company makes a nice profit, and my property taxes rise yet again. How about a slogan of STOP THE NONSENSE NOW ! ?

lunacydetector 3 years ago

lawrence has a tendency of passing things that nobody votes for.

jgier 3 years ago

I can't believe this is happening... Moving library services off site does not seem to be a cost efficient idea... What is happening here? Why did we approve this project before all the details were laid out?