Archive for Friday, December 2, 2011

Service restored after Internet product upgrade caused difficulty accessing LJWorld.com, KUSports.com and other sites

December 2, 2011, 12:46 p.m. Updated December 2, 2011, 2:31 p.m.

UPDATE: As of 1:30 p.m., all service has been restored.

Users of LJWorld.com, KUSports.com, Lawrence.com, WellCommons.com and other World Company sites may be experiencing difficulties accessing the sites.

The Journal-World’s Internet provider, Knology, performed an upgrade overnight, which has created the accessibility issues. It has also affected clients using using the World Company’s content management system, Ellington.

The Journal-World’s Web team is in contact with Knology, which is working to correct the problem. Issues first arose around 5 a.m. Friday. The Journal-World apologizes for any inconvenience, and will provide an update when the problem is fixed.

Comments

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 years ago

It has also blocked access to any KU server if you are a Knology customer. Only the most recent in a long line of disappointing service and customer care from them since the takeover. Really wish U verse would come to my neighborhood so I could drop them altogether...

Beth Ennis 3 years ago

don't be so quick to jump to U-verse. Although we had no complaints with service or speed, after 12 months they bumped up their price by $50 making our total bill $242/mo. Way too much money. We were told they hadn't raised prices in over 5 years and that our bill wouldn't go up. Unfortunately, both satellite providers are owned by AT&T also.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

Bummer, dude. Glad you guys are back on line.

John Hamm 3 years ago

Ah the Internet....... And service providers. "Wha' problem? We don' see no problem."

beerbaron03 3 years ago

Knology rep: "Are you sure that your machine is turned on? Does the green light come on?"

Laura Wilson 3 years ago

Our Knology phones were down at work when I came in, as well. Once it came back, I haven't had any problems, including accessing this sight, but my parents, who use Knology for wireless internet out in the county, have had spotty service all day. They could reach the Knology webmail but, yeah, no KU for dad.

I was a Sunflower internet client for most of the 1990s and ever since 2001. I had maybe three problems in nearly twenty years. Since Knology took over, glitch after glitch. They let the security certificates lapse about a month ago, causing problems sending email from Eudora and from their own webmail. I don't think they've ever fixed it. I finally just bypassed it, probably opening myself up to security issues. Around that time my church had a problem and called their techs for assistance and were told 'we're too busy to help you'.

Yeah, really great customer services. I loved the Sunflower geeks--so helpful! I rarely had internet problems but I did have problems with DVRs and they would walk me through stuff and call back, very patient and friendly with me.

You might have made a lot of money, Dolph, but selling Sunflower was a big mistake for your customers.

parrothead8 3 years ago

The product and the service have definitely declined since Knology took over. Sunflower saw me as a customer; Knology sees me as an account...at least that's how it feels.

jj14 3 years ago

Yes please hurry up AT&T Uverse and come to my neighborhood so that I can switch!

melott 3 years ago

If you want to see a real horror show, use AT&T customer service.

Laura Wilson 3 years ago

+a million

We had AT&T DSL at work for several years. Tech support was a nightmare--you got bounced from one country to another and back again, often dropped completely. Last time I had our tech guy on the phone with them for three hours and then, after they said they couldn't fix it until the next day, suddenly it worked again by me glaring at it.

So I'm not all excited about this Uverse.

I miss my techs just up the street from my work place! Knowing that when I called Sunflower I was talking to a person in Lawrence really helped!

Hwy50 3 years ago

I'm not happy with Knology thus far, but the thought of AT&T support scares the bejeezus out of me.

sad_lawrencian 3 years ago

Ha ha ha ha. It was the owners/managers of LJWorld/World Company who sold (out) their Internet services to Knology, and now because of Knology, their prime Internet product (Ellington) doesn't work! Ha. Ha ha ha ha.

sad_lawrencian 3 years ago

And it is true, I love to rip on World Company and Knology on these forums. But I can also tell you that AT&T U-verse customer service is a complete and total nightmare. I thought Knology was the worst of the worst (in customer service) until I placed a call to AT&T from my iPhone to get customer service on my wireless account. They immediately went into a sales pitch for U-verse. I relented and agreed to have some services installed (television and home Internet). This was on a Friday. Over the weekend, I changed my mind and decided I wanted to stay with Knology. On Monday (the next day their hotline was open), I called AT&T/U-verse to cancel the installation appointment. I waited 45 minutes (yes, 45 minutes) on hold. When a person did answer, they told me I'd called the wrong phone number! (I had dialed U-verse Southeast instead of U-verse Southwest). It took another HOUR on the phone to finally connect with someone who could cancel the install. So. I can verifiably say that AT&T sucks the big one. I'm now a happy Knology customer!

ljwhirled 3 years ago

I use Freenet. Haven't had any problems in over a year. Keeping our money local is important.

buffalo63 3 years ago

You have to remember that AT&T was taken over by Cingular which had a very poor service record as far as I am concerned. They dropped the Cingular part of the company name to use the AT&T name, logo and reputation. However is was Cingular management in charge which is why they have the problems. Don't get me started.

Bob Forer 3 years ago

As much as I love to rag Dolph, he did provide a great internet service before selling out for a huge paycheck.

bshm 3 years ago

How about you upgrade the upload speed for the $60 Gold Internet package, Knology. 1 Mbps maximum upload speed? Talk about the damn stone age!

There's nothing true about this statement from their website: "serving Lawrence with fast, reliable High Speed Data for more than 10 years." Except the "more than 10 years" part.

Beth Ennis 3 years ago

we just recently switched to Knology thanks to a $50/mo price increase with ATT Uverse as soon as we went over 1 year with them, bringing their total to $242/mo. Absolutely ridiculous. I'm not pleased at all with Knology so far. We have the palladium and I feel like I'm back on dial-up most of the time. The speed is horrible! Their speed test shows much faster of course, but when a normal web site is taking about 3 minutes to load up, well, that isn't fast speed nor is it good service.

Rastaman 3 years ago

Knology service is very poor. Sunflower service was 100 times better than Knology. Ive had to deal with their customer service on numerous occasions and was very dissatisfied. Phone, internet and cable have been subpar. It's been a night and day difference since Knology took over. I don't expect Knology to be around long due to poor leadership.

matahari 3 years ago

I am searching for a viable alternative to K'nology. Freenets' nearest output source is 1400 some odd yards from my house and when I called them, they said they could not offer me service because we have such big trees in east Lawrence. Also, I will never use ATT for anything. Once again customer service issues and more. My patience with K Non Logical is wearing very thin. I may just choose to go without any/all, unless I can find some sort of reasonable alternative, but there doesn't seem to be anything out there...I sure got a lot of housework done the day "K Yawn Non Logical" went down. This is a sore subject. Kinda like my throat from repeating my information to the experts in Minnesota or where ever the heck I was speaking. Sunflower was also expensive, but at least you got decent customer service.

Sigmund 3 years ago

ladyoneill (anonymous) says… "but my parents, who use Knology for wireless internet out in the county, have had spotty service all day."

So everything was back to normal service.

somemisfits 3 years ago

The lack of knowledge at Knology befuddles me.