Archive for Friday, December 2, 2011

Advice for Saturday night: ‘If you are drinking, make sure to get a sober driver’

December 2, 2011

The Kansas Highway Patrol plans to bring in extra troopers to Lawrence and Douglas County Saturday night in an effort to crack down on drunken driving and other traffic offenses, including speeding.

Lt. Keith Hudson said troopers will participate in a Roving Aggressive Violations Enforcement, or RAVE, funded with a grant from the Kansas Department of Transportation. It’s an effort to get more troopers to patrol state highways in Douglas County and the Lawrence area. The KHP performs these operations in Kansas counties periodically and attempts to target several areas where many arrests or accidents have occurred in the past, he said.

“If you are drinking, make sure to get a sober driver,” Hudson said. “Just make arrangements to get home safely.”

Comments

DRsmith 2 years, 4 months ago

Shouldn't that be advice for every night you plan to drink?

its_just_math 2 years, 4 months ago

Why can't people learn how to drive drunk, responsibly?

Ockhams_Razor 2 years, 4 months ago

Overtime for everyone! Wheeee! Wheee!

pocket_of_sunshine 2 years, 4 months ago

jj14-I think they have to announce it, but I may be wrong. It is the same as when they have a planned DUI check point, it has to be made known to the public.. I may be wrong, but I think it has something to do with entrapment.

Gabe Hoffman 2 years, 4 months ago

I believe part of the stipulation to conduct these with the grant money provided, it's required in some fashion to alert the public. Given the questionable legality of these checkpoints/saturation patrols, I think in some way it covers them. I may be wrong, but, that's my understanding.

jj14 2 years, 4 months ago

I have NEVER understood why they advertise this. If they want to catch drunk drivers, the best way to do it is to not advertise that you are going to be out in force. Sometimes these articles even say where the checkpoints will be setup, that is inSANE!

ddhawkfan 2 years, 4 months ago

I know this is a stupid question, but why do we publish and tell people these things? Let the stupid people drink and drive and get a DUI. Don't give them a heads up. Just my .02 as worthless as it might be.

let the typical ljworld flaming begin