Archive for Friday, December 2, 2011

Advice for Saturday night: ‘If you are drinking, make sure to get a sober driver’

December 2, 2011

The Kansas Highway Patrol plans to bring in extra troopers to Lawrence and Douglas County Saturday night in an effort to crack down on drunken driving and other traffic offenses, including speeding.

Lt. Keith Hudson said troopers will participate in a Roving Aggressive Violations Enforcement, or RAVE, funded with a grant from the Kansas Department of Transportation. It’s an effort to get more troopers to patrol state highways in Douglas County and the Lawrence area. The KHP performs these operations in Kansas counties periodically and attempts to target several areas where many arrests or accidents have occurred in the past, he said.

“If you are drinking, make sure to get a sober driver,” Hudson said. “Just make arrangements to get home safely.”

Comments

jj14 3 years ago

I have NEVER understood why they advertise this. If they want to catch drunk drivers, the best way to do it is to not advertise that you are going to be out in force. Sometimes these articles even say where the checkpoints will be setup, that is inSANE!

therxbandit 3 years ago

Not only is it a legal requirement, but letting the general public know may actually have a positive effect on the well being of the people out at night. If they know there's a higher chance of being caught, more safe precautions might be taken. As much as I'm sure the police dept. would love the extra cash, the ultimate goal is to stop drunk driving. Telling the public about these checkpoints may stop a few people from entering the driver's seat while drunk...

Bob Forer 3 years ago

Absolutely. Kudos to the Highway Patrol. They would rather see drunk drivers off the road rather than piling up a hefty arrest record. Imho, they are a very professional police organization.

Gabe Hoffman 3 years ago

I believe part of the stipulation to conduct these with the grant money provided, it's required in some fashion to alert the public. Given the questionable legality of these checkpoints/saturation patrols, I think in some way it covers them. I may be wrong, but, that's my understanding.

pocket_of_sunshine 3 years ago

jj14-I think they have to announce it, but I may be wrong. It is the same as when they have a planned DUI check point, it has to be made known to the public.. I may be wrong, but I think it has something to do with entrapment.

Ockhams_Razor 3 years ago

Overtime for everyone! Wheeee! Wheee!

DRsmith 3 years ago

Shouldn't that be advice for every night you plan to drink?