Archive for Monday, August 29, 2011

Judge rules Yellow House Store owner is mentally competent to stand trial

August 29, 2011

Reversing a ruling he made in 2009, a federal judge Monday declared Guy Neighbors, an owner of the former Yellow House Store in Lawrence, mentally competent to stand trial in the three cases he faces.

U.S. District Judge Carlos Murguia Monday afternoon followed a recommendation from prosecutors and the defense attorney to declare Neighbors competent for trial after a second psychiatrist had recently evaluated Neighbors and disagreed with the 2009 findings of a Bureau of Prisons psychiatrist. In the new evaluation, Dr. John H. Wisner of Kansas University Hospital found that Neighbors did not suffer from a mental disease or defect and that he could both understand the charges against him and assist in his defense.

In the main case, federal prosecutors accuse Neighbors, 53, of selling stolen goods from the former secondhand store, 1904 Mass. His wife, Carrie Neighbors, 50, in January was sentenced to serve eight years in prison after a jury convicted her in the case. She is appealing the verdict.

Gary Hart, a defense attorney for Guy Neighbors, has also asked that his client be released from custody on bond pending his trial, and Murguia has scheduled a Sept. 6 hearing on that issue.

Comments

Benjamin Roberts 4 years ago

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result.

thebigspoon 4 years ago

In my home, when I was but a wee thing, that was called stupidity.

gl0ckUser 4 years ago

someone should tell that to the prosecutor........

pace 4 years ago

At what point does the tax payer get to see the bill for Owen's and the feds pique and hate. The case stinks, the sentences stink, the witness's stink. but the millions spent on surveillances and the level of prosecution really stink. We get it, if you don't cop a plea in this town, you will be persecuted beyond reason, hang the cost. It isn't like there are burglaries, thefts, murders, assaults and rapes out there to be solved.

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

Um, some of the burglaries and thefts could not be solved because YH knowingly sold items involved.

Anyway, I would think the years he has been locked up count on any sentence.

catoutofthebag 4 years ago

Pace, you are correct, I think millons being spent for surveillance will only be the starting point of ordeal. Its going to get good.

Scott Morgan 4 years ago

Alert.........alert............can anyone tell me what the folks have been charged with? Can they tell me how much time has been spent behind bars without a conviction?

gl0ckUser 4 years ago

the charges were brought on in 2005 Guy has been locked up since April 2009 without a trial. just for starters

monkeywrench1969 4 years ago

HE needs to stand trial either way to get it over with. I think Smitty needs to write a book and or in a diary because no one around here believes the line anymore. find some people outside of Lawrence who were not around and following the stories you quote real time and understand there are no conspiracies here. If there were you would have to concede those you cite (Olin and Khatib etc.) are hyper intelligent and able to fool the majority of the public in Lawrence and elsewhere into believing their "lies". What "amsterminds" muuuuhhhaaaa (hand wringing included with the laugh)

MarcoPogo 4 years ago

If the Skidmore town bully couldn't get more than a made-for TV movie, I don't see Dreamworks lining up to tell the tale of two people selling stolen bicycles and washing machines.

MarcoPogo 4 years ago

The kid that hates eating everything?

MarcoPogo 4 years ago

The kid that hates eating everything?

mommy_n_me 4 years ago

if they laundered the money, wouldnt it make it Clean money.....just sayin....

been_there 4 years ago

How many new user accounts can smitty and alex create in a week to make it look like they have more supporters?

Kontum1972 4 years ago

they both will meet alot of new friends in the big house..esp the Mrs...

monkeywrench1969 4 years ago

So you are conceding Khatib and Olin are brilliant and th eultimate masterminds. So if that is true is it a conspiracy or did they make appear to be a conspiracy or did they conspire with Peck and YH to create the appearance of conspiracy so they could spend time in jail and then make millions off the movie and book deals they will split with OLin and Khatib once it hits...then come all the tv appearances and Reality TV series. THEY ARE BRILLIANT.

monkeywrench1969 4 years ago

Are you conceding their brilliance.

My other point of confusion here is how often you cite corruption, but then you back it when they try to kick out someone perceived as corrupt. Have you ever thought maybe Peck was dirty and Khatib and Olin did the right thing to let him go. Didn't the DA dismiss all of the cases related to him also. Khatib and Olin are dirty if and corupt except when they let somone go who could be corrupt.

monkeywrench1969 4 years ago

What does that have to due with you conceding they are not great at creating conspiracies

gl0ckUser 4 years ago

YES I confirmed This Carrie Neighbors is not Currently listed as being in Custody. Technically she is not Even listed as being At the prison.......

IF you check the Website you see something strange. How can she be there is she is not in the system showing she is supposed to be there ?

KSChick1 4 years ago

I don't smell smoke but I smell something...kinda like horse apples

somebodynew 4 years ago

Scott Morgan 4 years ago

I honestly do not have a dog in this hunt. Again I read where they had this monster operation, but have not seen any hard evidence. A bike, and maybe a few items. Where is the beef?

Is it out there somewhere, and I am not seeing the evidence? If they are criminals then they should do the time. Any, and I do mean any resale shop has sold an item or two which has been feltched. Even church shops.

Nature of the beasts.

A stolen bike, and a family ruined? You bet a movie could be made.

BlackVelvet 4 years ago

I doubt you'd see any "hard evidence" on this forum, but even if the cops were overzealous enough to charge them for "an item or two", I very seriously doubt that a federal prosecutor would waste time on a stolen bike or a few items. There absolutely has to be more to it, but again, you won't see the "evidence" here. You'd have to go to court or read transcripts I think. Just my opinion tho.

Scott Morgan 4 years ago

Exactly BlackV.............again, no horse in this race, but have not seen anything more than a bit here and there. Yet, look at the whole deal, including police lives changed.

fu7il3 4 years ago

I honestly think Smitty is a woman. I have no real basis for thinking that other than just tone of the posts.

been_there 4 years ago

You know what is really pathetic? Smitty's attempt to have the KS law HB2059 referred to as Carrie's law. Nobody but nobody calls it that except smitty and probably YH. Do a search, nowhere will you find it called that except in LJW blogs by smitty. Oh wait, maybe that's part of the conspiracy. Oh and no it doesn't count if you (smitty & YH) have called it that on some other site you have posted it that way yourself. Pathetic.

been_there 4 years ago

You're welcome, always willing to help someone make a fool of themselves.

Fire_all_politicians 4 years ago

Well for what it's worth, Smitty is like Fred Phelps....Dedicated to his cause.

somebodynew 4 years ago

And she is just as old and senile. And the cause is just as wrong.

edmclinn 4 years ago

This is off topic, but do any of you have suggestions on how to fight government taps? They have had my house and automobiles tapped for years now. I was thinking of scheduling a protest and allowing people to sit in my car to give them a chance to say hello or like allow for individuals to search my car for the device and the lucky finder would get a prize of like 500.00!

somebodynew 4 years ago

somebodynew 4 years ago

You know it is amazing to me how smitty can continuously throw out unsubstantianted claims that demean all sorts of public officials (past and present) and say they are all corrupt, but I get disappeared as soon as I (maybe not so politely) mock her.

Go figure.

That is if this stays here long enough for anyone to read it.

somebodynew 4 years ago

Just because it is 'your' POV, does not make it a reality. Of course you have never gotten that - bubba.

BlackVelvet 4 years ago

But no proof of the allegations of "illegal" activity by LPD.

Armored_One 4 years ago

"Corruption charges have not yet been investigated publicly."

Yeah, because they are unfounded, except in your own little, special world.

BlackVelvet 4 years ago

LPD has well over 120 employees. A couple have done things that most aren't proud of. Don't paint the entire bunch with a broad brush and imply all LPD employees are guilty. If someone were to make all-encompassing statements about any other group of people I would imagine you'd be screaming from the rooftops so please don't be a hypocrite and do it to the Police. Cite a specific incident you have proof of but don't paint them all with your brush-as you have done in the past.

BlackVelvet 4 years ago

hmmm...Smitty just kind of ignored this post. I guess it was too deep for him/her to process.

monkeywrench1969 4 years ago

BlackVelvet. Too true Smitty is never happy, when the PD doesn't fire someone they are corrupt...when they do fire someone the the department is corrupt... They Chief's are all corrupt nomatter how long they have been there. Smitty must have been one of those kids who tried to make different pictures with connect a dot pages by not following the numbers in order. Were the teachers back then part of a conspiracy as well...

I think she has all these posts saved in a word document and just repeatedly pulls them out depending onthe story she is commenting on at the time. I wish I could find the old posts she made about the City being liable for her daughter ingesting a green fog/smoke near water plant. I have never seen the green fog or maybe the Riddler has blown smoke in her face and made her the way she is.

Armored_One 4 years ago

I'm still waiting for Smitty and Co. to bring charges over these alleged illegal actions by various public officials.

I already know they can't, because it is a load of buffalo bagels, but it would be damned funny to watch them get smacked down.

Unfortunately, we'd have to put up with that many more conspiracy theory posts and whining about how 'the Man' is putting them down, so some other such nonsense.

I still stand by my opinion that they are lying through their teeth, most likely because they got busted for one thing or another and have a grudge. Either that or they want Yellow House to come back so they can go back to fencing their 'merchandise', which was of course legally obtained.

See, I can make insinuations too. And obviously it MUST be golden truth because it's said online, which just proves my point.

Yer a bunch of fools dancing to a fool's tune. Well, that and comedy relief at a time when a lot of people could use a good laugh. I'm honest enough to admit, though, that it would be a pleasure to do it in your face.

LadyJ 4 years ago

If I remember correctly, Guy N posts were quite entertaining. The more frustrated and mad he got, the comments became even more outrageous. Hence the claims the police department was trying to get rid of them so they could get a hold of their building. Probably so they could coordinate those speed traps. We might be in for some fun. Oh, and don't forget to pay those overdue property taxes when you get out Guy.

somebodynew 4 years ago

BlackVelvet 4 years ago

sure is quiet around here..............................................................

somebodynew 4 years ago

Well, if I make a comment it just seems to get disappeared. Beginning to think LJW might be asceered of someone.

jhawkinsf 4 years ago

God, please make this story die.

Armored_One 4 years ago

I'd almost be willing to bet ten bucks all Guy does, if for some moronic reason he is released, does nothing but whine and moan but nothing legally.

Yeah, watching it get all spread out on the table so we can get a truly good laugh would be nice, but when it got laughed out of court, we'd never hear the end of smitty and company.

Face it, son... no one believes you. You've been on this rant for not even God knows how long at this point, and nary a legal motion has been filed on these alleged crimal actions by those in power. Yer a laughing stock. Please keep posting your rants. The rest of us could use a chuckle once in a while.

Armored_One 4 years ago

I've lived here for almost 20 years now, and I have never heard much of anything positive about Yellow House.

Excuse me if I am wrong, but last time I checked, it was a federal offense to sell stolen merchandise across state lines. I can't envision a way that eBay could stand to profit in this case, but yet I read that they had submitted auction evidence.

No one around Lawrence liked Yellow House. I used to purposely go in and ask questions about items that I knew the specifications for forwards and backwards and found it hilarious to listen to them spout off nonsense.

This whole nonsense of a denial of a speedy trial is a total joke. Gee, how many times did they fire their lawyer right before the court date, FORCING the judge to grant a continuance? That is an abuse of the legal system and a very intentional one at that. They purposely forfeitted any right to a speedy trial by making it impossible to HAVE a trial in the first place for who knows how long.

I still contend, and you have yet to prove one iota otherwise, that these claims of impropriety, to be polite, against basically everyone involved in this case is a load of buffalo bagels. I can't think of an American citizen that would just roll over and only lament how it happened to them. No, they would file charges and most likely have the ACLU foaming at the mouth from wanting to help.

I see no legal motions. I see no charges filed. I can't even find a notation that the claims meritted investigation. Now if he didn't do it, then by all means he shouldn't be in jail.

The evidence is stacked higher the Eldridge, though. You claim WAY too many people being involved in this 'conspiracy' for it to be anything more than a flight of fancy for you and those that agree with you.

Delusions of grandeur comes to mind.

So does schitzophrenia...

BlackVelvet 4 years ago

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schtziphrenic and so am I.

Armored_One 4 years ago

Now who told you that you would use smitty's theme song? Do you have explicit permission? LOL

If not, you might be part of the conspiracy...

Armored_One 3 years, 12 months ago

We're supposed to believe this why, exactly?

Fire_all_politicians 3 years, 12 months ago

Is this a soap opera or a wanna-be reality show?

Flap Doodle 3 years, 12 months ago

I watched the new Apollo 18 movie today. There was a stolen washing machine on the moon that came from YH.