Archive for Monday, August 29, 2011

Anonymous donor gives $1 million to establish the Barbara F. Atkinson Professorship at KU Medical Center

August 29, 2011, 10:46 a.m. Updated August 29, 2011, 5:17 p.m.

Barbara Atkinson

Barbara Atkinson

An anonymous donor has given $1 million to support a professorship at Kansas University Medical Center in honor of KUMC’s executive vice chancellor and dean of its School of Medicine.

The gift will establish the Barbara F. Atkinson Professorship in pathology and laboratory medicine.

The professorship will be in the field of cytopathology, a branch of pathology that studies and diagnoses disease at the cellular level.

“This provides the resources for the department to go into the national marketplace and recruit an outstanding faculty member,” said Dale Seuferling, president and CEO of KU Endowment.

The department could also opt to award the professorship to a current member of the department, and use it as a retention tool, he said.

“The naming of the professorship for Dr. Atkinson is a fitting tribute to her many years of service at the medical center and her vision for creating a world-class cancer center,” said KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little in a written statement.

The pathology department at KUMC also received a million-dollar donation through a bequest last year.

Atkinson, in the statement, called the recognition “the biggest honor of my career.”

“Although the last decade of my professional life has been devoted primarily to administration at the medical center, in my heart, I will always be a pathologist,” she said. “I am so proud of the outstanding work being done by the doctors and scientists every day in our Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, especially in the area of cytopathology, which is my specialty.”

Seuferling said the endowed professorship would include a salary component that could be bolstered by things like research assistance and funds for graduate assistants as well.

Comments

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 3 months ago

Well, sounds like this is Dolph's way of apologizing. Kudos to him.

AtHomeInLawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

Was the anonymous donor Barbara F. Atkinson?

LHS56 3 years, 3 months ago

KU Endowment doesn't make donations except to the University of Kansas. And great news. I don't agree with the management of the Medical Center but I'm always pleased for gifts that benefit students.

Jack Martin 3 years, 3 months ago

The $1 million donation was made by the donor to KU Endowment, hence the comments from Dale Seuferling.

LHS56 3 years, 3 months ago

Thank you Jack. The Endowment is the trust agent to hold the money and disburse the funds and or earnings from the fund per the quidelines of the gift. And oneeye....how does the Endowment play a big role in the Rosedale community? They have purchased property in the community (at or above fair market value) and have donated most of the property to the State of Kansas for use by the Medical Center. They have created a number of jobs for the community and I believe are considered good neighors. The Hospital is a for profit organization. The Medical Center is a teaching center. Also...g...perhaps two titles are one too many but the President is the CEO of the Endownment. I agree that one title should be enough but I don't write the articles.

Rosita McCoy 3 years, 3 months ago

For the record, Dale Seuferling's title is president of KU Endowment, not president and CEO.