With the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks scant weeks away, a slate of retrospective specials and documentaries awaits us. Discovery leads the way with “Rising: Rebuilding Ground Zero” (7 p.m.) airing in three- hour installments tonight and next Thursday. The Science Network will replay it in marathon fashion on Sunday, Sept. 11.
‘‘Rising” documents the rebuilding project at and near the old World Trade Center site, featuring a massive office complex of four buildings, a museum and a memorial featuring the world’s largest manmade waterfalls.
It shows how artifacts from the destroyed structure have been incorporated into the new site and explores the stories of ironworkers, firemen, policemen and family members associated with these relics.
Like anything to do with 9/11, “Rising” is filled with emotionally loaded memories, images and language. Such efforts are generally critic-proof, but it should be noted how the film’s narrative often seems overly laden with hyperbole and hackneyed phrases that have attended all discussion of that dark day for the past 10 years. Perhaps it’s time to find new ways to discuss these events. Films like “Rising” show us that we still have a long way to go.
• “Titans” (9 p.m., CNBC) profiles advertising legend Leo Burnett, whose agency, founded in 1935, would create such memorable icons as Tony the Tiger, the Jolly Green Giant and that old softy, the Pillsbury Doughboy.
Tonight’s Other Highlights
• David Alan Grier guest-stars on a two-hour helping of “Bones” (7 p.m., Fox).
• The Baltimore Ravens host the Washington Redskins in NFL preseason action (7 p.m., ESPN).
• The Kennel Club of Philadelphia chooses a Best in Show on “The National Dog Show” (7 p.m., Versus), first seen last Thanksgiving.
• Dwight asserts his authority on “The Office” (8 p.m., NBC).
• Only four remain on the finale of “Expedition Impossible” (8 p.m., ABC).
• Heidi’s design becomes the competitor’s challenge on “Project Runway” (8 p.m., Lifetime).
• Michael embeds himself with a team of hijackers on “Burn Notice” (8 p.m., USA).
• A milestone episode may be the last on “30 Rock” (8:30 p.m., NBC).
• Jane’s encounter with Red John leaves him rattled on “The Mentalist” (9 p.m., CBS).
• Shohreh Aghdashloo guest-stars on “Law & Order SVU” (9 p.m., NBC).
• A sneeze reintroduces the common cold to the world of “Futurama” (9 p.m., Comedy Central).
• Ryan suspects a dark side to man’s best friend on “Wilfred” (9 p.m., FX).
• Ronnie and Sammi return to form on “Jersey Shore” (9 p.m., MTV).
• A misanthrope’s misadventures in Afghanistan on “Louie” (9:30 p.m., FX).
• Callie admits her infidelities on “Ugly Americans” (9 p.m., Comedy Central).