Archive for Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Enrollment up at JCCC, expected to be down at KU

August 24, 2011

Kansas University has not yet released figures for its fall or summer enrollments, though KU Provost Jeff Vitter has said that the university’s overall enrollment is likely to be down when KU releases its official fall enrollment figures in September.

However, KU’s total number of freshmen enrolled, he said, shows signs of increasing.

Meanwhile, enrollments continue to climb at Johnson County Community College.

Dennis Day, JCCC vice president of student services, said he anticipated last fall’s record total of 20,800 students would increase slightly by the time official numbers are released.

“I would anticipate the head count to be another record,” he said.

Last fall, JCCC had 2,100 Douglas County residents attend courses at the college, Day said, about 500 of whom took classes conducted in Lawrence at Centennial Adult Education Center, 2145 La.

There, JCCC offers remedial course work along with vocational courses for programs such as a certified nursing assistant, Day said.

He said he did not yet have information on how many Douglas County residents were attending JCCC this fall.

Comments

LogicMan 3 years, 1 month ago

It's far past the time for the Douglas County Junior College to be founded in Lawrence, with satellite campuses following soon in Baldwin and Eudora.

It could emphasize both practical training for local industry, as well as preparing students for continued study at KU and elsewhere.

How does a junior college get established?

Beth Bird 3 years, 1 month ago

I have often wondered why we didn't have this option...I went to JCCC for my first few years of college because it was so much cheaper.

Alexander Smith 3 years, 1 month ago

I think you also get better attention from the staff. At KU your just a number and a paycheck for them. You can actually have a one on one with a JCCC professor, good luck at KU.

LogicMan 3 years, 1 month ago

I would presume that the DCJC would use a lot of moonlighting KU faculty, especially in the summer. But hopefully it would develop its own full time teachers too.

down_the_river 3 years, 1 month ago

It's sad to think that if trends continue, KU will soon be the number three higher education location in Kansas, trailing K-State and JCCC. Let's hope there are enough dedicated leaders at KU who plan to stick around long enough to reverse this slide. The 225% increase in tuition in the past decade has damaged our reputation as a valued choice for higher education in the state.

atavism 3 years, 1 month ago

Given the grammar the above sentence, perhaps you should reconsider your post?

atavism 3 years, 1 month ago

I probably should mention syntax too.

Julie Craig 3 years, 1 month ago

Agreed. My daughter enrolled in six hours of graduate classes at KU and the bill is a whopping $2,400+... Sounds way overpriced to me.

notanota 3 years, 1 month ago

That's because you can take your first two years of classes at JCCC and transfer to finish at the higher priced KU with no penalty on your overal prospects for getting a job or getting into grad school. It's really a no-brainer.

down_the_river 3 years, 1 month ago

Unfortunately, as more people recognize the wisdom in that approach, it hastens the downward spiral for KU's finances. Due to the larger class sizes, services of GTAs for instructors and four year tuition payment structures at KU, the freshmen and sophomore students are the most profitable segment for KU. If community colleges continue to siphon that group away, the impact on KU is accelerated.

Alexander Smith 3 years, 1 month ago

Well when the professors actually take an interest in their students rather then push them off to a TA who is not qualified to teach and/or does not speak English that is understandable. Then your point is valid. That and how about they merge the funds from the sports departments with the rest of the school. The students are suffering while the athletes get personal tutors, can skip tests, and don't have the same deadlines.

imastinker 3 years, 1 month ago

It's not just tuition either - look at fees and differential tuition. Those have nothing to do with the state and the money is spent on the stupidest stuff! They got me for seven semesters of fees for a health center that wasn't built yet. I think that's how the new multicultural resource center got built too.

It looks like fees are now up to $450/semester.

I also got the privilege of paying for tuition fees that were put in an account to fund scholarships for "needier" students. We've gotten several calls from the endowment looking for donations and I'm still so bitter about that one that the answer is still "NO." I paid for the tuition of other students and then the interest on other peoples tuition as I worked a second job to get my student loans paid off!

kujayhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

The price of most degrees now outweighs the value received. Do away with the liberal arts requirement and make a college education a 2 or 3 years for kids that know what they want to major in.

ksarmychick 3 years, 1 month ago

That's because the tution at JCCC is $96 per credit hour. At KU with the required campus fees it's $307 per credit hour. JCCC also offers many more online classes.

konzahawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Something is not right at KU. Earlier this week, MU announced that they increased enrollment this fall by 1,300 students. Their tuition is similar, if not higher than that at KU. KSU, from what I have heard. is also expecting a record enrollment. For far too long, Strong Hall has just assumed that everyone wanted to come to KU and they did not have to recruit. Obviously, this assumption is wrong.

Alexander Smith 3 years, 1 month ago

The issue is KU thinks that it can draw students in because of its sports success and it has worked in the past. However, with the economy slumping and resources dwindling, employers are looking for graduates who receive solid educations. KU is not that great of school that provides this reliable level of education. So students are looking elsewhere. Big 10 enrollment is going up across the board because the schools in this conference have academic standards that are above the Big 12. Also smaller schools are increasing because they provider better and more personal attention. I got a strong feeling that as long as KU keeps this mentality, the enrollment will not grow fast or at all. I have gone to KU and I have gone to University of Iowa, KU is NOT on the same level as a BIG 10 school.

squawkhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

By sports success you mean BB, right. Last I looked there hasn't been any other success other than one year of FB.

squawkhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Obviously it's the crappy football team and disfunctional BB team.

parrothead8 3 years, 1 month ago

It's because fewer and fewer people want to stay in or relocate to the state of Kansas.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

How many graduates actually find employment in their area of expertise? Likely less now than ever before.

Should JCCC become a four year college that could present an enrollment dilemma for KU. JCCC teaching staff aren't exactly slackers.

A four year degree is an asset in your life however following up with an Assoc Degree or a Vo-Tech certificate aka additional training might well be the key to employment.

If one can afford the life of a career student what better employment is there?

squawkhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

A co-worker told me earlier this year that the counselors and staff at KSU are a lot more approachable and willing to work with the students than their counter parts at KU (he had kids attend both schools). Well, we found this to be at least partly true as my daughter recently enrolled at KU and attended classes this week. The counselors were absolutely no help at all. When we met with them over a month ago they mad all kinds of promises and commitments and have yet to fulfill even one. We've even caught them in bold face lies ("I didn't get your phone messages"). My daughter now thinks that she made the wrong decision. If this is the way students are treated at KU then no wonder the enrollment is dropping off.

squawkhawk 3 years, 1 month ago