Archive for Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lawrence teen among nine people charged with murder of Topeka attorney; Duane Richey remains at large

August 9, 2011, 5:05 p.m. Updated August 9, 2011, 5:45 p.m.

Duane Tieree Richey

Duane Tieree Richey

Topeka authorities said Tuesday they were looking for a Lawrence juvenile who has been charged in connection with a July 21 robbery and murder of a Topeka attorney just outside her home.

Dakota Loomis, a spokesman for Shawnee County District Attorney Chad Taylor, said authorities were still trying to find Duane Tieree Richey, 17, who along with four other juveniles and four adults have been charged with first-degree murder and other counts in the July 21 murder of Natalie F. Gibson.

“We consider him to be potentially dangerous and potentially armed,” Loomis said. “If you know Mr. Richey or see him, contact law enforcement officials. Do not approach him. Do not talk with him.”

Taylor and Topeka police Tuesday afternoon announced the arrests of the other eight suspects, who are from Topeka and Olathe, and asked for help in finding Richey. According to police, Gibson was shot and killed when a gunman approached her vehicle in her driveway early on July 21. In addition to the murder charge, each of the nine suspects face two counts of aggravated robbery, one county of conspiracy to commit robbery and one count of aggravated battery.

All suspects, except Richey, also are charged with burglary and animal cruelty in connection to an attempted home invasion and shooting of a dog in Topeka that occurred four days after Gibson’s murder.

According to the district attorney’s office, the last known address for Richey is the O’Connell Youth Ranch, 1637 N. 1320 Road, southeast of Lawrence, a program for troubled youth.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 8 months ago

I heard today this scum bag may in fact be the one who pulled trigger in the killing. Stands to reason he is the only one who can't be found as he is on the run.

felixiscariot 2 years, 8 months ago

Richey is not hard to find. type his name in on facebook and you can read everything he's been posting... It said he's living in Houston, TX. ready...set....go.

bootlegger 2 years, 8 months ago

I dont remember seeing this news in the Lawrence Journal World when it happened.....this is the first i have heard of this..........is there a reason why this happened to the attorney? Another reason for conceal and carry in this day and age.................

angeleyes4u2 2 years, 8 months ago

You know this is sad God only knows what this childs life is like, the state wont allow us to spank our children when i grew up we had 2x4s with holes drilled in them for spanking or tree switches. If these kids could of been raised with it be really nice. no I wasnt abused I was punished for not doing what I WAS told to do . so very little did I misbehave. didnt want that switch or paddle.. kids now days are told they can get by talking back, ect. if i talked back way they are today I have mouth washed out with dish soap, sent to my room. we did have all the stuff kids have now days. our parents did not fall for any tantrums if we did that we got left behind to walk . home and groceries or stuff was left behind at stores. now days kids are left to do what ever and however they decide they want to act. thank you once again our government is stuck noses where it didnt belong in privacy of our homes. So no I didnt throw tantrums cause i couldnt have a new toy. or peice of candy.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 8 months ago

The poster child for summary execution has been identified.

BlackVelvet 2 years, 8 months ago

".... I hope when he is caught, all of them get the punishment deserved and it better not be light..."

Don't worry, I doubt they'll be tried in a Douglas County Court.

cletus26 2 years, 8 months ago

why keep wasting our money taking care of these folks. The needle would be nice. this is a shame. I hope when he is caught, all of them get the punishment deserved and it better not be light

Steve Jacob 2 years, 8 months ago

The person who pulled the trigger will have eight witnesses against him in court, The needle would be nice, but hard 50 will work.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 8 months ago

This is hardly something to compare to the London riots. My friend, Gwen, has a (literally) front row seat to what's going there, as she lives in one of the districts being affected. This was premeditated murder by a bunch of thugs. What's going on in London is close to a governmental revolt.

kansasredlegs 2 years, 8 months ago

Reminds me of that Abe Orr incident out on the levee where he and his Topeka thug buds shot the driver in the head for his vehicle. Just like then, I doubt this Cat is "really" from Lawrence, though his address is OYR. That place needs to be shut down along with the proposed homeless shelter.

edjayhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

This POS needs to fry. I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. Why do we continue to give 2nd and 3rd chances to scum that will commit a crime again.

hedshrinker 2 years, 8 months ago

OMG, how am I just hearing about this SHOCKING event? Obviously a carefully planned, premeditated action of hideous brutality with multiple perpetrators probably cheering each other on....sort of makes me think of the UK mob violence being carried out as we speak...teenage gangsters coordinated with Blackberries. I wonder what role this poor attorney played in their lives ...gives one pause about working with sociopaths as a houseparent, therapist, teacher, etc.

topeka52 2 years, 8 months ago

The cruelty to animals charge relates to a attempted residence burglary where they shot and killed a family pet going to the sounds of property invasion.

TPD say a picture will be posted soon.

Still sleeping with Mr. Smith and Mr. Weson and Mr. Browning by the door!

Bushloather1 2 years, 8 months ago

A pic might have been helpful too.

Bushloather1 2 years, 8 months ago