Archive for Monday, August 8, 2011

Eudora police officer arrested after incident near Outhouse

August 8, 2011

A Eudora police officer was arrested over the weekend after an altercation in the 1800 section of North 1500 Road east of Lawrence.

Douglas County sheriff’s deputies arrested Thomas Clinton Leahew, 29, about 5 a.m. Sunday after a 35-year-old Bonner Springs woman reported Leahew struck her, causing minor injuries, according to Sgt. Steve Lewis. Lewis did not provide additional details about the incident. Leahew was charged in Douglas County District Court on Monday with misdemeanor battery.

At Leahew’s first court appearance Monday, Douglas County Assistant District Attorney James McCabria recused his office from the case, and a special prosecutor from Shawnee County was appointed.

Eudora Police Chief Grady Walker said Leahew, who has worked for the department for a year, was placed on administrative leave pending an internal investigation. Walker declined to comment further on the case.

Douglas County District Judge James George released Leahew on his own recognizance. However, if Leahew fails to appear at court proceedings, he could be ordered to pay $1,000.

Leahew faces up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine. His next court appearance is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Thursday.

Comments

FarneyMac 3 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for sharing. I hope this experience has validated your existence and bolstered your sense of self worth. Being first on the internet is a HUGE deal and you deserve proper recognition for such an accomplishment. Congratulations.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 4 months ago

Oooooh BURN! You showed that poster!

Self worth! Self worth!

MarcoPogo 3 years, 4 months ago

I know. I'm just teasing Farney out of fun. Must not have come across correctly.

And BTW......FIFTH!!!

goodcountrypeople 3 years, 4 months ago

Glad the clueless McCabria got the bright idea of recusing his office. Quelle surprise!

juststrugglin 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe they need to look a little deeper in to this guy. Ask a few people he has detained with his job???????

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

Apparently off duty police officers do. That's where he ask the cab driver to take him. He then in turn pays her by assaulting her. Maybe you were insinuating something else? You don't know the whole story and I do, so maybe you shouldn't make any comments.

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't feel my comment was any more childish than yours. You asked a question and I answered it for you. Read some of the other comments made by people who came to their own conclusions and you'll understand why I responded the way I did. I'm sorry if you felt I attacked you, but I really don't think people should make some of the comments they made, unless they have facts to back it up. In my opinion some pre-judged and maybe it's because they are just mean people or for whatever reason. I agree that most people wouldn't go to the Outhouse but then I don't know anything about that place so I'm not going to judge anyone that does. Where it happened really isn't the point here anyway. It just shouldn't have happened, Everyone deserves to have a safe working environment.

KU_Dude 3 years, 4 months ago

It's too bad that the print version only has "Eudora Police Officer Arrested"

Mike Hoffmann 3 years, 4 months ago

In other news, the Eudora Police Department will be taking applications for a police officer later this month.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 4 months ago

Bet there is a good explanation in all this. Seriously, who hasn't among us ended up at the Outhouse at 5 in the morning screaming at our favorite gal?

Good grief, just the words Outhouse and five in the morning should deafen anybody with warning signals.

When I read of these things, my mind pictures the opening scene in Officer and a Gentleman when the father heaves ho in the terlet.

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

There is no good explanation for this. This cop wasn't just screaming at his girlfriend. He assaulted my daughter who was just doing her job as a cab driver, giving him and his buddies a ride to the Outhouse because they were out partying. She did nothing to provoke what happened to her. He just lunged from the back of the van and attacked her. My daughter didn't even know this guy. She has two kids and has to work to support them any way she can and for you to insinuate she caused this is just crazy. Maybe if the newspaper had checked out their story before they printed it, there wouldn't be so many assumptions as to why my daughter was at the Outhouse at that time in the morning. She wasn't drinking, she was just working. The off duty cop is the one who acted inappropriately here.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 4 months ago

anerw, with all due respect...

It is absurd for you to torture yourself by reading comments on this story. I suggest you find something better to do with your time than respond to the bullies and morons and untrained armchair detectives on this board, you will only end up filled with aggravation,

I hope your daughter does not suffer any more than she has to as a result of being a crime victim.

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

ivalueamerica, thank you for your response. You are right. I really just came to read the article and when I seen all the rude comments, I wanted to come to my daughter's defense because this article didn't tell the whole story. However I will take your advise and find something better to do, as I have already told her story and people are going to comment any way they want, regardless. Thank you for your kind comments.

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

I bet he was just trying to administer a breathalyzer test on the young lady!

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

No he wasn't! He was the one drinking, not her! She was just providing a service to him and his drinking buddies as a cab driver. She did nothing to provoke this kind of behavior. This is just an example of how police officers can be just as stupid as anyone else when they are drinking.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 4 months ago

Another Smitty diatribe implying all cops are domestic abusers?

BlackVelvet 3 years, 4 months ago

Oh wait...Smitty doesn't imply. Smitty STATES !

Elaine Elliott 3 years, 4 months ago

To Protect and Serve (and slap strippers)

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

As long as he didn't lick her. That is against the rules.

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

Just so everyone gets the truth about what happened here. The girl in question that was assaulted was providing a service to this community as a cab driver. She was not at the Outhouse drinking. The police officer and his friends had already been drinking and that was their destination. This girl has two children to take care of and works to provide for them. She didn't deserve to be attacked by a police officer or any other person for that matter. In fact, she has done this job for 13 years and this cop is the first person who has ever attacked her. This being said, the cop is the one who should have crap slung at him, not remarks how this girl deserved it or whatever. By the way, this girl is my daughter and I didn't appreciate the stupid comments when you don't know what you are talking about!

sulliedotcom 3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah and I'm going to believe some anonymous poster before a well respected journalist. Yeah right!

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

I don't really care who you believe. The LJW gets their information from police reports. They only printed what they knew, which didn't include the whole story. It will all come out in court and then you can read it again for what it was.

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 4 months ago

Hmmm....since when did the LJW become a cop hater newspaper? Why did you print a story like this, LJW? The police are our heros, and you should quit bad talking them. Lick boots instead.

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 4 months ago

The story is obviously a lie. LEOs protect and serve the public...risking life and limb on a daily basis. You better recognize!

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

I really hope you mean this sarcastically because if not, your name "Crazy_Larry" fits you. You know as well as I, that as hard as most police officers work, not all of them are honest and that some of them just wear a badge because they think that gives them the right to be a jerk and get away with it. This officer should lose his job and give it to someone who knows how to perform like a police officer should perform, whether working or off duty.

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

By the way, it wasn't any LEO's. He was from Eudora.

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 4 months ago

L.E.O. = Law Enforcement Officer. And I was being completely sarcastic (as usual). That's my schtick. I thought you knew! You betta recognize. I pity the fool!

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 4 months ago

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

The LJW aren't cop haters. Police officers serve a great service to the community but this one in particular broke the law and should be punished the same as any other person who breaks the law. The police are suppose to uphold some kind of leadership. Let them lead by example. Wearing a badge should never be considered a privilege to break the law just because you think you can. If police officers are out drinking when they are off duty they should have to uphold the law like any other citizen.

Shane Garrett 3 years, 4 months ago

34th! Small town cop acts like a total idiot in larger city and gets arrested. I guess those from Eudorka will learn not to fool around in Lawrence.

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

Seems that those who have a drinking related charge (dui) are unable to work at a liquor store or as a bartender so can a woman beating cop still be one if he/she is found guilty of said charge? I would hope that if one slip-up is too much for drinking (that you can never work in that field again) that the same would be for someone in power who so grossly abuses the laws and beats a chick. Heck, with the way this state is going he will be promoted (Brownback hates women as well)

50YearResident 3 years, 4 months ago

Ummm, about 5 AM at the Outhouse? I thought these places closed at 2 AM, why the 3 hour delay?

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

He wasn't arrested until 5:00am. He wasn't at the Outhouse at the time of his arrest. I'm sure the Outhouse was closed by 2:00AM. A report had to be made first and he was also at the hospital for some time before his arrest because he banged his head on the front console when he lunged at the cab driver, causing a lot of bleeding which he in turned managed to spread all over her. She is now in danger of catching any kind of blood pathegeon disease he might have had. Who knows. He could use steroids and be carrying HIV or something. I'm not accusing him of that but anything is possible. That is why police officers wear gloves when they are at a bloody scene. I hope that answers your question and those that wonder why "anyone" would be out there at 5 in the morning.

Kris_H 3 years, 4 months ago

Well, to be fair, nowhere in this story does it say the woman attacked was a cab driver. Nor does it mention the time of the attack, just the time of the arrest. That some posters jumped to some apparently mighty wrong conclusions is not surprising, really.

I hope the young lady is OK and this guy never works in law enforcement again. Yeah, he might have been off duty, but most agencies have standards for off-duty as well as on-duty behavior.

Of course, he could move to Topeka and maybe the TPD would take him in since they seem to like to slap the wrists of off-duty officers behaving badly instead of taking them off the job...

sanerw 3 years, 4 months ago

Kris, you are correct. The LJW could only report what it knew which is what came from the police report. They didn't contact my daughter before they reported it and that is why I tried to clarify the story. I still don't think people should throw out nasty remarks when they don't know what happened. If it was the other way around and my daughter had been drinking and caused this, I wouldn't be making nasty remarks about that officer for doing his job, which is all she was trying to do. I just think some people ought to think before they put their opinions out there for anyone to see. I'm sure if it was their daughter in the same situation, they wouldn't be so quick to judge.

crazyredneckmomma4 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree with ShePrecedes- for a long long time now the Eudora Police Department are at best questionable... officers that are alcoholics(and alcoholism doesn't stop just cause you're on duty), drug dealers, and now (unprovoked) attack people. I definitely think this department needs looking into and not by IA but by some outside higher authority.