Archive for Saturday, August 6, 2011

At least one killed in head-on crash on K-10 in Lenexa on Saturday morning

August 6, 2011, 7:38 a.m. Updated August 7, 2011, 12:27 a.m.

A head-on collision on K-10 in Lenexa killed at least one person early Saturday morning, according to the Kansas Highway Patrol.

About 1:45 a.m., a vehicle was driving the wrong way in the westbound lanes when the vehicle struck another vehicle traveling westbound. The accident occurred on K-10, less than a mile west of Interstate 435.

No other information about the accident has been released as of late Saturday evening. A spokesperson for the KHP said they are awaiting confirmation of family notification.

According to the Kansas Department of Transportation, from 2000 to 2010, 19 people have been killed in traffic accidents on K-10 between Lawrence and Interstate 435.

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

K-10, just west of I-435

Comments

Cody 2 years, 8 months ago

There was none on the KC TV stations this morning either but was on the LJW. They had three off ramps closed this morning (north/south ramps going to K-10 and the one coming from the east). They had some of the construction trucks working in the area helping block the off ramps.

thebcman 2 years, 8 months ago

weird that there's no mention of this on the KC Star website

Cody 2 years, 8 months ago

I came up on this accident at around 3:30 this morning. I have never seen so many law enforcement cars at an accident. I seriously doubt this was a cross over as it is the wide area before you get to I-435. K-10 was closed for a few hours this morning. The one car you could not tell what it even was. Looks like a pick up truck going the wrong way. Very sad. Hope there was just the one deseased but I don't see how anyone in the one vehicle could have survived.

Sigmund 2 years, 8 months ago

jkealing (Jonathan Kealing) replies… "Shaun's actually in the middle of a lengthy report on drunk driving in Douglas County and the impact of the recent changes in the laws on them. It's taken a while to put together, because they're hard to chase down, turns out."

shaunepec (Shaun Hittle) replies… "Yah, I understand the concerns about the DUIs. As JK said, we'll have a big feature next weekend on DUIs in Kansas, the new law, and whether it will make roads safer from drunk drivers. We'll highlight some local DD cases of people who've had a staggering number of DUIs, but are still on the road."

Good to hear, I look forward to the story. Might I suggest staying away from speculating on whether or not the new law will make roads safer in the future? It seems to me the new statutes are meant more to close certain "loopholes" in the current law that limited prosecution, and to increased punishment for those convicted. So leave the promises to politicians; prediction is difficult, especially of the future.

adtgolf 2 years, 8 months ago

What no one has mentioned in any media outlet today is that there was a rollover last night (August 5th) between Eudora and DeSoto at 9:23 last night. A car traveling eastbound swerved and was literally bouncing forward and towards the westbound traffic, the direction I was traveling. Had it not come to rest, I was about to have to make a split second decision about how to avoid it. I called it in and within two minutes police were at the scene. It was awful.

Not sure what caused this particular wreck, but I travel K10 every day for work and its like a NASCAR at times. If you're not rubbing, apparently, you're not (racing) getting to work on time.

cheeseburger 2 years, 8 months ago

fred_mertz (anonymous) says…. Cut the reporter some slack - he made a mistake but owned up to it and corrected. In my world that takes guts and deserves respect and he faced his critics not once but multiple times - again earning my respect.

I completely agree. He did not exhibit the arrogance oftentimes shown by LJW reporters.

devobrun 2 years, 8 months ago

Agreed fred_mertz. I think that the reporter was adding context at the behest of his editor, his J-school training and general practice of reporting. He swerved a little far and he has notably, and admirably, acknowledged and fixed the problem.

But this should bring up the concept of reportage and the inclusion of context which adds meaning to a story, at the risk of creating reality. Busses don't crash, they plunge (even when they actually just crash). Cars don't crash on K-10, they cross over the median.
Virtually every story in this paper and others has the problem of "adding context". Yeah I know, it sells papers.

ljb 2 years, 8 months ago

Sadly, I had a front row view of this accident last night. Had I been driving just a little faster or started my drive home just 30 seconds sooner it could very well have been me in one of those cars. There was a white truck in flames, lots of smoke, and people running everywhere...very sad to see EMT's working less than 30 feet from my car.

Brock Masters 2 years, 8 months ago

Off-topic, but still relevant. I think we, the online community, are very fortunate to have the opportunity to read articles, comment on them and to be able to interact with those that write and edit the stories - all for free.

Not all online papers make their staff accessible or open to comments. Again, I think we're lucky to have that opportunity.

Jean Robart 2 years, 8 months ago

I'd be interested to know if it was the wrong way driver who was killed.

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 8 months ago

"Collission"? Better check your spelling...

Steve Jacob 2 years, 8 months ago

Guessing on Renner Rd, going on the east bound ramp toward 435, took the K-10 off ramp instead (that right next to it) and went the wrong way. From that location, it's the most logical way it happened.

If so, how can you stop that? Very sorry.

thuja 2 years, 8 months ago

Take the money from the war on drugs and throw it at trying to stop drunk driving instead.

Seeing as how the effects are much more randomly tragic it seems.

tange 2 years, 8 months ago

In light of developments within the K-10 Corridor, S&P has just downgraded the Bermuda Triangle.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 8 months ago

Considering the number of accidents on K-10 it seems it would be more fiscally prudent to hire more Highway Patrol than to widen the highway which would allow more speeding. It would take decades to eat up $200-$300 million by way of extra Patrol units.

"The K-10 Traffic Control Troopers" could get on tailgaters,reckless drivers and those who enter the highway off the ramps as if they have the right of way. K-10 traffic fines would certainly help pay the salaries of "The K-10 Traffic Control Troopers". Our tax dollars hard at work keeping food on the table and highways a bit safer.

Sigmund 2 years, 8 months ago

Kufan57 (anonymous) says… "My prayers go out to the family who lost a loved one in this accident... Now for the posters who are more worried about how the article was written....get a life!"

For the posters who are worried about the posters who are worried about accurate unbiased news coverage, get a life!

Kufan57 2 years, 8 months ago

7texdude 2 years, 8 months ago

I know they cannot cover every inch of K10, but were there any police or sheriff cars on that highway at all? At 1:45 a.m. on Saturday, that is DUI time from KC to Lawrence. Why is that not more patrolled late at night?

Please don't think I'm pointing fingers at the police, but what are the patrol times/areas for K10 on the weekends? Shaun, that is a story. That is an area that deserves more attention. At the minimum, they could pay for their time by writing tickets for speeders, yes? That would also slow down the traffic and get some of the drunk drivers off the road..

Getaroom 2 years, 8 months ago

No matter how the driver ended going the wrong way - the number of deaths is staggering and sad as always. It was responsible of Shaun to correct the article and to reflect what is known and what is not known. As usual when the official law enforcement report is done all the details will be released and the voyeurs can feast and comment to hearts content. A median guard of some kind would help to prevent median crossover accidents(not accidents from happening) and so would responsible driving and not driving the wrong way no matter the reason. Ultimately tax dollars are spent when an accident happens on public roads. Just like every time one of us needs to go to the emergency room and does not have insurance, someone is paying for it and ultimately it is all of us but maybe not in tax dollars. So, how and when and with which pile of tax money do you, the voters, want used(or not used) to deal with the median crossovers on K-10? Let a Brownback decide for you? He's doing a good job with the "commons" money - right? So do you pick SRS offices, median protection on K-10, the energy audit program, programs for the underserved, the arts...? If you don't like what you see, change it. Death on the highways is a sad truth for those of us left behind and yet death and injury will continue to occur because accidents do happen and especially on highly traveled roads at high speeds. Protecting ourselves from our selves - is emotional and expensive business. Some will even question the value of using public funds for such protections because it is "every man for himself". However no matter which point of view one takes at least two questions can be asked: by whom and how should that protection be paid? Want to cut out your Social Security, Medicare, Unemployment Insurance and etc. to pay for the "entitlement" Anti Death Median Crossover Program? Want to pay more road and law enforcement taxes, higher prices for emergency responder services? Easy to be a critic of a LJW journalists on a blog isn't it and especially compared to decisions about how to pay for a lifetime of living in the world together, in community. So, is it going to be "all for one and one for all" or ......? Got to pay for it one way or the other. Who are the "deciders" in such matters? Answer that question for yourself and then maybe the way will become clearer and before it is too late to make an difference.

Sigmund 2 years, 8 months ago

shaunepec (Shaun Hittle) replies… "Well said Domino. I make mistakes, and when they're brought to my attention, the best I can do is admit them and correct them."

Fair point. My comment is showing my bias. I am much more concern with the carnage drunk drivers regularly inflict upon our community than building a multi-million barrier in the median of K-10 which seems to get greater attention from the LJWorld.

jkrakasophia 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks. Almost afraid to make the call. They went to kc to hear a marc broussard concert to spend the evening of their 3rd Anniversary.They are 32 & 26

domino 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow - with all the comments on here, Mr. Hittle should be afraid for his job. Apparently there a lot of people out there ready to jump into his position! I would agree that there are times (this one included) that articles aren't written as well as they should be, however, I think it stems from the public's wanting to know everything right now! Back in the day, this article wouldn't have probably made it into todays paper - more likely tomorrow's - and by that time there would have been time to gather more information, check and re-check facts, etc. I appreciate the updating/correcting that was done as quickly as possible and hope we all can learn from this - Mr. Hittle by being a little more thoughtful as to how he writes his articles and the posters by cutting someone a little slack. I know - I'm probably going to get blasted with the "he's supposed to be a professional" group, but I'll guarantee you that I have made less than stellar decisions at times in my career and I'll bet most others have too!!

jkrakasophia 2 years, 8 months ago

Do any of you know the make of the vehicles involved? My son & wife were to return home this morning from kc to Parsons and no one has heard from them. We are worried. Thanks

Sigmund 2 years, 8 months ago

shaunepec (Shaun Hittle) replies… "But I think going as far to say I was editorializing is a stretch. Fatality accidents, particularly those that occur on K-10, are of high interest to the community."

Really Shaun? Isn't drunk driving also of high interest to the community? Why not mention how many early morning K-10 accidents are the result of DUI? One relatively recent accident involved a head on with two DUI drivers. Why not imply both drivers were DUI while you are at it.

GardenMomma 2 years, 8 months ago

Do you know how the person ended up going eastbound in the westbound lanes? Did, in fact, a median crossover occur? Or did the driver simply enter K10 by going the wrong way? Please, don't stir the pot unless you have facts to back it up.

I hope when you have more information, you will update the story appropriately.

shaunepec 2 years, 8 months ago

After considering your comments, I have updated the story. Nothing in crash logs indicates a median was crossed, and could certainly be a wrong way driver that did not cross median.

Shaun

formerfarmer 2 years, 8 months ago

Little early to presume crossover. Sounds like they were driving in the wrong lane.

kantubek 2 years, 8 months ago

LJW, why insert the debate about crossover cables? There is no indication that any crossover took place, rather it seems someone entered the roadway going the wrong direction. This isn't the place for that debate, if you want to get your forum going then you should post it elsewhere.

devobrun 2 years, 8 months ago

Nice article, Shaun. Looking to generate lots of comments to pad your comment counter? Do additional comments generate more advertising revenue? I saw nothing in your article suggesting that the wrong-way driver got to the other roadway by crossing the median. I don't see the linkage between your article about the wrong-way driver early this morning and the crossover crashes from this spring. Blatant revenue generation or padding of the resume?

Or just thoughtless gossip? Whatever the motivation, your linking of the events is not good reportage. Relevant information is contained in the location, time, and outcome of the car crash. Be clear, concise and don't engage in editorials in a news report. Linking of this event with the spring-time cross-over crashes is an editorial comment.

sunny 2 years, 8 months ago