Archive for Thursday, August 4, 2011

NOW, Kansas Equality Coalition plan return to Capitol for rally

August 4, 2011

— Two groups whose recent events at the Capitol were disrupted by police will return there Saturday for “A Celebration of the First Amendment.”

During a rally June 24 on the Capitol grounds, Capitol Police blocked members of the Kansas Equality Coalition from carrying U.S., Kansas and rainbow flags, saying the flagpoles could be used as weapons.

News reports later showed that groups in the past have been allowed to bring flags on the Statehouse grounds.

On June 1, police interfered with a National Organization for Women news conference, saying three spare tires that were being used as a prop had to be removed. The prop was in response to remarks by state Rep. Pete DeGraaf, R-Mulvane, who compared purchasing separate abortion insurance to carrying a spare tire in his car in case he had a flat.

The Saturday rally is scheduled from noon to 1 p.m. on the Capitol’s south steps.

Comments

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

What happened? The little woman refuse to make your sammich?

lunacydetector 3 years, 4 months ago

militant man haters in a group setting wanting to carry sticks.....i think i'd say, 'no' to that one as well.

ljwhirled 3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, but 2nd amendment supporters carrying assault rifles at a protest. That's just fine eh?

ThomasWitt 3 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps if we used shotgun barrels for flagpoles, we'd get a pass from the Governor.

ThomasWitt 3 years, 4 months ago

And what about the Knights of Columbus? Militant woman haters dressed up in old-fashioned military uniforms carrying swords. Brownback said "YES!" to them.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 4 months ago

I expect that women's negative reactions toward you are personal, and have little to do with your gender.

lunacydetector 3 years, 4 months ago

actually bozo, women love me, absolutely love me, and i love them back. n.o.w. is a lesbian organization, so calling them man haters is justified.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 4 months ago

Yea, probably in the same way that your dog loves you.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 4 months ago

since you feel women being treated fairly is a militant and hateful act, there is clearly something missing inside your soul, I think nonebetter said it best.

lunacydetector 3 years, 4 months ago

women rule the world already because they're the majority. they even have their own t.v. channel. you'd never see that allowed for men. no way jose'

Fossick 3 years, 4 months ago

A rally in support of the right to rally. Wow, how recursive.

Fred Mertz 3 years, 4 months ago

I definitely don't agree with all the positions of these organizations, but I support their right to peacefully assemble and protest. I don't know all the facts so it is hard to take a position, but if the police did treat them differently than other groups and interfered with their rally, then it was wrong.

I support the right of all organizations, even those I don't support to exercise their right to free speech.

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 4 months ago

Police denied the NOW folks, but let another group (maybe it was the teabaggers) have flagpoles...the police said it was because the teabaggers were having a 'rally' and the NOW group was 'protesting.' True story.

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 4 months ago

He man woman haters club! Is that you, guv'na?

ThomasWitt 3 years, 4 months ago

Actually, it was the Kansas Equality Coalition who were denied the right to bring flagpoles, and that denial was immediately upon arrival. Not only had we not been "disruptive," we didn't even have a chance to unload my car.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, teabaggers are'nt "disrespectful", they just can't spell :P

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Conservatives and liberals agree that they have the right to protest and speak out on any issue they desire! Bringing dirty tires into the capital or any other dangerous weapons is something that the police do have the right to limit, like the above post, I do not have all of the facts on those issues. As an organization NOW represents very few women in Kansas because the women of Kansas support traditional family values and tend to be conservative and vote that way!

Joseph Jarvis 3 years, 4 months ago

Kansanjayhawk said: "Bringing dirty tires into the capital or any other dangerous weapons is something that the police do have the right to limit"

The issue is not bringing items into the capitol. The state police interfered with items outside the capital. Moreover, police only interfered with groups whose viewpoints were disfavored by the governor (pro-choice, gay rights).

kansanjayhawk 3 years, 4 months ago

no evidence that the governor even knew the rally was taking place...

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

Interestingly, in conversations I've had with enlisted servicemen and women, they are highly cynical about why they are in Iraq and Afghanistan. The ones I've spoken to see it as a job and nothing else. When I asked about the danger and possible loss of life the reply was that there are other jobs that are just as dangerous. It's part of the job and you just accept it. As one serviceman said, "This is a job that supports my family. What other job could I get in the civilian sector that would do that? And if I die the military will support my kids until they turn 18. Again, what other civilian job will do that?" According to them, the only people left in the military that buy into the whole "Mom, God, the flag and apple pie" thing are officers. The higher up ya go, the more who believe in the myth. Interestingly, they aren't the ones putting their lives on the line.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 4 months ago

Those demonstrators are acting like terrorists {channeling Joe Biden}!