Archive for Thursday, August 4, 2011

Lawrence faith leaders to hold prayer vigil for SRS situation

August 4, 2011

An interfaith event to lament the planned closing by Gov. Sam Brownback’s administration of the Lawrence office of the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services will be Saturday.

Faith leaders will hold a prayer vigil “Caring for the most vulnerable among us” from 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on the front steps of Plymouth Congregational Church, 925 Vt.

Representatives from Plymouth, the Islamic Center of Lawrence, the Lawrence Jewish Community Center and others will speak briefly on the obligation to vulnerable residents.

Plymouth Senior Pastor Peter Luckey noted that the event will be held at the same time as a highly publicized prayer event in Houston that Brownback may be attending at the invitation of Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

“As our governor goes to Texas to pray with Rick Perry, faith leaders in Lawrence gather to give voice to what we have in common: concern for the most vulnerable,” Luckey said.

In June, Brownback said he accepted Perry’s invitation to the event, called “The Response,” which has generated criticism because some of the groups involved with the prayer session are anti-gay. In recent days, Brownback’s staff has declined to confirm whether he was going, saying that he would be on vacation and the event is on his calendar.

Brownback and SRS Secretary Robert Siedlecki Jr. have said that the Lawrence SRS office should be closed to save money and that clients who use the office can access services online or travel to offices in nearby cities, such as Topeka. Local officials say the closure will damage the community because thousands of needy residents will lose services, and the savings for the state will simply be shifted to costs for local nonprofit agencies.

Comments

Munsoned 2 years, 8 months ago

This is at least an interesting and credible "faith based initiative". KUDOS!

notleft_notright 2 years, 8 months ago

Where is your Flying Spaghetti Monster when you need it? LOL Good luck with that.

Gotta keep the masses down with entitlements, don't want them to have to rely on themselves and the community. They must pay homage to the state for their daily bread. Religion of the left: The State

dogsandcats 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe they are just trying to appeal to Sam's loony side: "Hey, people in Lawrence are praying?! Maybe they're not so bad afterall! Reopen the SRS!"

autie 2 years, 8 months ago

I saw an article in the Wichita paper that Rick the haircare Perry stated that the Texican event in Houston was nonpolitical. I was wondering who is paying to rent the Reliant Center and how much does that cost? Would it be on par with renting the Sprint Center for a day, I may be looking for a place to have my kids birthday party.

toe 2 years, 8 months ago

I hope they are praying for more taxpayer money.

demonfury 2 years, 8 months ago

I will admit that realistically, you risk nothing by praying, however, you also have to realize that realistically, you risk nothing being accomplished with this activity. So, in my opinion, if you avoid tangible solution processes by offering up (praying) your desires to a higher being with faith that it will magically be taken care of, you risk a complete failure. I don't know about any of the other readers out there, but this God everyone speaks of has never whispered in my ear with the solution to any one of my problems. I'll venture to bet the same holds true with all of you as well. If any of you honestly think that a prayer vigil will change the SRS closure, you are certifiably out of your minds? Brownback has a major ax to grind on Lawrence, and he's grinding it !!! A prayer vigil isn't going to change that either. But at least you can take comfort in your freedom of religion.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 8 months ago

So what happens when God gets all of these conflicting prayers? Same thing he always does. Nothing. By the way, I ran into an interesting tidbit on the Huffington Post this morning. Seems Perry's "prayer rally" isn't going over as well as he thought it would. The venue holds over 71K people. To date he's only had 8K RSVPs saying they were coming. Politicians especially are staying away in droves, including all 49 other governors, not wanting to get the stench of "religiosity" on themselves. Perry just may have shot himself in the butt for any aspirations he may have for, at least, the 2012 presidential election. Brownie may have to find another star to hitch his wagon to. (I'm also reading mutterings that BB himself may back out.)

autie 2 years, 8 months ago

Interesting. I'm certainly not a religiously type at all. However I think it is cool, as well as ironic that you will have Muslims, Jews and Christians all ganged up together for a common cause, praying that Sam will have some good sense. (haha) While Sam himself is going down to the Gov. Haircare Perry's prayer love fest...with a group that openly hates gays, jews, catholics and anybody else that ain't evangelical, bible thumpin white boys.....have a good ole time Governor Racistback.

grammaddy 2 years, 8 months ago

Let's just pray away___.You fill in the blanks

BloodBot 2 years, 8 months ago

It's interesting to hear that local 'faith leaders' are going to meet to lament the closing of the SRS office, or are they meeting for a 'prayer vigil'? Praying is not lamenting, but making our requests known to God. So are they making a political statement or are they praying? Oh, and it happens to be during the same time Mr. Perry is holding a prayer event that they disdain and have ridiculed. Does anyone smell hypocrisy? I see little faith being displayed and a whole lot of political posturing from the so called 'faith leaders' in this group of left leaning people.

monkeyhawk 2 years, 8 months ago

Maybe the heathens can burn a cross and see if that does the trick.

somedude20 2 years, 8 months ago

I am going to pray with myself later!!!

rbwaa 2 years, 8 months ago

i wonder if we will have to pay for this prayer trip like we had to pay for the 'faith based' meeting last month...

oneeye_wilbur 2 years, 8 months ago

Downtown Lawrence Inc is praying for more customers. The bar bq joint on south iowa and the current italiam restaurant are both praying that Olive Garden won't have any customers. my dying perennial hibiscus is having a prayer rally with the roses and holly plants that rain will come.

After reading this about the churches it goes to show that they have not much to do in offering space to the office workers for SRS. All of the churches in town and the space sits empty during the weekdays. I am praying that the church leaders will see the space in the their church as an alternative to office space.

John Kyle 2 years, 8 months ago

Praying is doing nothing but pretending you did something.

Anunnaki 2 years, 8 months ago

As a last resort, I've alerted the skygods.

Barclay 2 years, 8 months ago

I honestly do not know what the solution is to finding the best way to deliver social rehab services to Kansas citizens. Certainly we know the state can't afford to do things the way they used to be done. Even with a local SRS office, I know firsthand, as we have a daugher with a disability, that there is way too much redundancy, incompetence, and inefficiency in the ways services are rendered. I must say this, I find it sadly ironic that many of those who are the most adament and passionate in their protests, in seeking to "protect the most vulnerable of our society," have also publicly indicated their acceptance of abortion. Seems to me protecting the most vulnerable members of our society ought to begin with those unborn citizens in their mother's wombs.

thuja 2 years, 8 months ago

What is happening to the political process in this state?

BobandAlice 2 years, 8 months ago

I wish I could be there to join in the prayers. Unfortunately, I will be traveling back to Kansas at that time. In fact, I'm sure the 5 other passengers in the car would also like to be there. Our thoughts and prayers are with the vigil.