Archive for Tuesday, August 2, 2011

World Company hires V.P. of sales, marketing

August 2, 2011

Susan Cantrell

Susan Cantrell

The new vice president of sales and marketing for The World Company’s media division is ready to grow the marketability of the Lawrence company’s newspapers and websites.

Susan Cantrell, a Kansas University journalism graduate, now oversees advertising and marketing for the Journal-World, area weekly newspapers and websites including LJWorld.com, KUSports.com, Lawrence.com, WellCommons.com and SunflowerHorizons.com.

She returns to the area after five years in Tucson, Ariz., where she had served as vice president of advertising for The Arizona Daily Star, including three websites.

Before that she had worked in various management capacities during 23 years at The Kansas City Star, with oversight of several suburban newspapers, the company’s magazine division and, during her last two years, as the newspaper’s vice president of sales and marketing.

“I’m excited to come back to my roots, in terms of revisiting Lawrence and the University of Kansas and the suburban properties in Kansas City,” said Cantrell, who grew up in Kansas City, Kan. “They’re all very familiar territory. And yet, today, I think they have more promise than ever.”

Suzanne Schlicht, chief operating officer for The World Company, described Cantrell as a talented and innovative leader, and as one committed to the long-term success of the media industry.

“Her track record in sales management, online advertising and marketing, coupled with her knowledge of northeast Kansas and strong area ties, make her uniquely qualified to lead our sales efforts,” Schlicht said.

Comments

sad_lawrencian 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm sorry, but why do stories like this merit such prominent placement on the ljworld home page? (Currently it's the second link from the top under "Latest".) Does anyone really care when the World Company hires a new VP of sales?

RoeDapple 3 years, 4 months ago

Well I think it's newsworthy even if the trolls don't! Welcome Susan! Does this mean you get the disapearededed button?

irvan moore 3 years, 4 months ago

shoulda saved their money and got a sports writer

FarneyMac 3 years, 4 months ago

Newspapers are dying and so, of course, Worldco turns to a career newspaper sales/marketing person to save their failing fortunes. Great idea, way to really breathe new life into things. After selling off the only profitable arm of the company, this was clearly the next obvious move.

OutlawJHawk 3 years, 4 months ago

Yawn. My day will be so much better knowing the LJW made this hire. Thank you so very much for sharing this immensely important hire with all.

In other business news, McDonalds hired Juan Gomez to cook burgers. His shift manager describes him as talented and innovative. He comes from AZ after working as a fry cook for Burger King in Yuma. He is originally from the Argntine area of KC where he worked at Hardees and other fast food outlets for 23 years.. "I am glad to be back in familiar territory," Gomez said. "I am excited about this new opportunity and see more promise than ever."

rockchalker52 3 years, 4 months ago

I bet 4 out of the previous 5 green-eyed posters are still waiting for the first time their name appears in print.

You do have green eyes, don't ya, Roe? I know the rest of 'em metaphorically do.

tbecs 3 years, 4 months ago

Maybe the news is that they hired someone from out of state instead of someone local? I wonder how her work in KC and Arizona are going to help her to market to the people of Lawrence.

Dan Thalmann 3 years, 3 months ago

I love how some of these people read the entire story and then complain that nobody cares about this sort of thing. If they really didn't care, why would they take the time to read it and then comment? Strange. Anyway, I love reading this sort of stuff because it helps me understand the culture of the people who are putting out this news every day. Welcome back to Kansas, Susan.