Archive for Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Temperatures hit 111 degrees in Lawrence, just shy of all-time record

August 2, 2011

Temperatures in Lawrence have risen to 111 degrees — a mere three degrees below Lawrence's all-time high of 114 degrees. The mercury hit its apex at 2:52 p.m., on a day when the temperature was already 84 degrees shortly before 8 a.m.

However, because of the dry air — drier than what the region has had lately, anyway — temperatures outside felt like a brisk 110 degrees.

An excessive heat warning from the National Weather Service continues through Wednesday evening, and highs are expected to be between 95-110 degrees Wednesday.

The record heat has been blamed for a number of heat illnesses in the area. Kansas Department of Health and Environment spokeswoman Miranda Myrick said Tuesday that Kansas hospitals have reported more than 400 people have gone to their hospitals with heat-related illnesses such as heat exhaustion. KDHE also says that the heat has contributed to the deaths of 3 Kansans so far this summer. Belinda Rehmer, an Lawrence Memorial Hospital spokeswoman, said the hospital saw 31 patients in July because of heat-related issues, and six of them had to be admitted for observation.

The heat wave gripping Kansas also has taken a toll on animals.

The manager of a Great Bend operation that picks up dead cattle from feed yards and ranches says he may run seven days a week to keep up.

Lee Seder of Central Kansas Rendering says the company picked up 148 dead cattle Monday, up from the normal 60.

Comments

ahhs 8 months ago

Cable6 also cites aug 14, 1936 at 114 degrees.

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

"Where is 110-111 coming from?"

You can observe temperatures from Jeeps, bank themomometers, the one on your back porch and all kinds of other thermistors. I trust in the NWS. From my own and others who have weather stations 111 is the number and I've never seen such unanimity in a daily high temperature. 111: believe it.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 8 months ago

"Where is 110-111 coming from?"

The official reading at the Lawrence airport.

KrisSDE 2 years, 8 months ago

I, too, was under the impression that the record high was 111. Also, I don't know how many other people got this number, but from KU (myself, and many others I know), as well as at my home using my personal weather station & digital thermometer (placed on the porch, in the shade), the highest temperatures we recorded throughout the day were from 112-115, with a humidity reading of 15%. Meaning that was pure heat -- no index factor. I also had a reading of 113 from my Jeep's thermometer, and it was parked on our completely shaded street all day. Yesterday the highest temperature my station recorded was 109.

Where is 110-111 coming from?

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 8 months ago

I remember going out to mow one day when it was 114. So dry, it felt like 90, lovely. My husband got after me to come inside. I felt much better that day than on other days at lower temp and typical humidity. I think we bought that house in 80 or 81, so that goes along with what others are saying about those years.

thebcman 2 years, 8 months ago

July 13 and July 14, 1954 = Lawrence's all time high of 111° (tied today) July 24, 1936 = Topeka's all time high of 114° === Dec. 22, 1989 = Lawrence's all time low of -21° Dec. 23, 1989 = Topeka's all time low of -26°

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

My weather station in BC recorded plus 100 degrees from 1120am to 730pm today. Peak was 111 at 435pm. That's over 1/3 of today at temps above 100. Today was the belly of the beast -we hope.

thuja 2 years, 8 months ago

I take that back. Without a doubt the highest temperature in what is now Lawrence in "all of time" was probably about 4.6 Billion years ago when the Earth was still molten.

Oh, you mean "all time" that only goes back to the 1800's. That "all time". Why is this "all time"?

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 8 months ago

"thelonious"

I'm going with 111 for Lawrence, but sources you are reading may be for Topeka mistakenly cited as Lawrence. Either way, we were up there today. Historic weather in any event that we can tell our grandkids about providing we don't spontaneously combust before it gets cooler.

"The wind went to the WNW around 530pm. This "cold" front will drop us into the mid-90's tomorrow. " River

94 right now, although the humidity has gone through the roof. At least there is a breeze. Even a hint of the smell of rain. Maybe later this week. What doesn't kill us weatherwise will turn us into freezing cowards on the first 70 degree day in September.

thuja 2 years, 8 months ago

Response to thelonius, and whoever else I can amuse...Cool?

Smack, no smack. All time high?

As you may see, the temperature varies all over town even at the same time of day for different locations. So determining an "all time high" may mean that the all time high was never even recorded because someone didn't measure it. All time high where?

For instance, under a tree, in the middle of the asphalt street, and up against the side of a building in the sun could yield sizeable temperature differences even in the same neighborhood. The temp downtown and the temp at the Lawrence airport are commonly different. So then I ask, where does Lawrence end?

Why don't we just call today the all time high? I'm in.

Its all so arbitrary.

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

Jimo 2 years, 8 months ago

haha I was in Chile about a week ago where the big weather news was the Chilean Army's efforts to rescue people trapped in record snow drifts. So take heart --- winter is coming! (You should have seen the KCI TSA lady's eyebrows raise when she pawed through the wool topcoat in my suitcase on my connecting flight to Miami.)

beatrice 2 years, 8 months ago

From someone who lives in Phoenix and is used to high temps, of your 111° temperature let me be the first to comfort you with the standard ... but its a dry heat!

plynth 2 years, 8 months ago

My 10 mile run was unusually refreshing about an hour ago.

Curtis Lange 2 years, 8 months ago

I, too, was under the impression that Lawrence's all-time high was 111°...which we tied. Topeka's all-time high is 114°.

Unreal 2 years, 8 months ago

I feel so sorry for anyone who has to be in this heat, but especially the animals. They have no say if their owner thinks they need to go for a run with them at 5:30 in the sweltering heat, or if their owner leaves them chained outside in the sun, or the poor cows who are stuck on those disgusting feedlots in western KS with no shade, no ponds and no way of getting cool. Hopefully Mother Nature will give us a break soon!

David Roberts 2 years, 8 months ago

What's the record for the largest high-low temperature in a given year in Lawrence?

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 8 months ago

"I think that was some sarcasm there"

Yeah, I know. But it was cruel sarcasm.

"Seems that NWS official statistics would be the guide."

They are. And www.weather.com uses the NWS' records because those are the official records. Other than that, www.weather.com and TWC are just vehicles for ad revenue.

tange 2 years, 8 months ago

Just stepped back in from it. Nuthin' 'shy' about it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

The hottest I remember it in Lawrence was sometime in the early/mid eighties, when it hit 112°.

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 8 months ago

Everybody sing! Dead cow, in the middle of the road....

thelonious 2 years, 8 months ago

p>Weather.com shows Lawrence's previous official all-time high as 111 set in July, 1954. They seem pretty accurate - they also show all-time highs of 114 in Wichita and Topeka, which matches other sources for those two cities. I, too would like to know on what date Lawrence's temperature hit 114, and I would also like to know what is the LJW's source for their statistics. Seems that NWS official statistics would be the guide. Grandpa Simons' notebook of readings he took on his Hires Root Beer thermometer on the south side of the barn does not count. :-)

kernal 2 years, 8 months ago

"... felt like a brisk 110 degrees."

At least we're one degree cooler than Yuma, AZ and two degrees cooler than Death Valley!

K_dub 2 years, 8 months ago

I would be interested to know what date Lawrence's temperature hit 114.

4chewnut 2 years, 8 months ago

It's official: We are living in hell with Satan Sam at the helm!

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 8 months ago

" temperatures outside felt like a brisk 110 degrees."

Brisk isn't a word I'd use, but it is weird to see the HI under the actual temp.

Clark Coan 2 years, 8 months ago

Now, some weather "experts" say the heat wave will last until September.