Archive for Saturday, April 23, 2011

Motorcycle accident victim transported to hospital by Life Star

A 46-year-old Lawrence man was transported to a Kansas City area hospital after suffering serious injuries when he lost control of his motorcycle. The accident occurred Saturday near the intersection of 17th and Harper streets.

April 23, 2011, 6:20 p.m. Updated April 25, 2011, 12:07 a.m.

A Lawrence man was taken by Life Star helicopter to a Kansas City area hospital Saturday afternoon after losing control of his motorcycle. His injuries were not believed to be life threatening.

Forty six-year-old Charles Hale, Lawrence, was transported to a Kansas City-area hospital by Life Star helicopter after a motorcycle accident near the intersection of Harper and 17th streets about 6:15 p.m. Saturday.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Randy Roberts, Hale was traveling north on Harper and lost control of his motorcycle, hitting a curb. He sustained a head injury, though the injury is not believed to be life threatening. A Life Star helicopter transported him from the Douglas County Fairgrounds.

Hale was not wearing a helmet, according to Roberts.

Additional information regarding the accident and Hale's condition was not available as of late Sunday night.

Check LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

grimpeur 2 years, 12 months ago

Helmets save lives and prevent head injuries. Last year, despite the undeniable protections of airbags, crumple zones and advanced designs in modern cars, over a half million people were admitted to hospitals with brain injuries sustained in cars. If you're not wearing your helmet in your car (I'm looking at you, finger-wagging self-righteous masters of the obvious), then please don't lecture anyone else about helmet use.

Do helmets protect your head in a crash or not? If so, why don't car drivers (including me) and their passengers wear helmets? Because they don't want to. They have the aforementioned safety equipment on their cars, have made an assessment of the risks, and don't want to wear a helmet. They just don't want to. Fine.

Even though helmets could save their lives in a crash. Fine.

But some of them come in here like they are suffering some personal or civic outrage, posting in a story about a biker's misfortune? They ignore an ocean of mayhem and death from cars and stupidity just so they can be zeroes in here?

Hey, Mr. and Mrs. Public Health and Safety mavens of the LJW comments (yeah you on your cell-phones behind the wheel, immersed in your dashboard GPS and other toys...that right, toys so get off it), if you're not going to address the issue of personal and public safety with regard to motorists and their passengers--the very largest segment of users and the overwhelming majority of all victims of brain injuries on our roads--then nobody's going to take you very seriously. Especially if your only contribution is a hypocritical remark about death wishes, dumb vehicle choices, or bad habits.

So give it a rest.

radicool12 2 years, 12 months ago

ok but that is like saying if you dont have health insurance we ccant treat you that is violating our rights a people i mean the government is taking everything from us i mean back when i was a kid we didnt have car seats or seat belt laws it is ou choice to do what we want and actually their is a law that says for the first year or two you have to wear a helmet

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 12 months ago

It is peoples choice whether to wearor not wear helmets but then it should be the choice of medical providers whether or not to treat these people. No helmet=no treatment. Everybody has choices!

Mary Ellen Hall 2 years, 12 months ago

What happened to freedom in the U.S.? Yeah, that's a big, grandiose statement but, come on. Granted, in most cases seatbelts and helmets save lives. But I believe it should be my choice whether or not to wear them. I also believe that it should be the parents' choice whether or not to make their children wear helmets when riding bikes. I will be the one to suffer the consequences for my choices. I know, now someone's going to start in on how it affects everyone due to insurance costs, etc., etc. But at what point do we say "NO MORE" to the government imposing itself in our daily lives/rights/freedoms?

Having said all this, I wish the rider a speedy recovery and hope that he slows down - if, in fact, speed was a factor in his accident.

radicool12 2 years, 12 months ago

any word on his name and any updates

slshogrin 2 years, 12 months ago

My only question is this...why do we have mandatory seatbelt laws (which are a ticket-able offense), but Kansas doesn't have a mandatory helmet law? Before anybody throws out the whole thing of helmets are more dangerous and cause neck injuries, all the car accidents I've been in, I was told that if I had been wearing me seatbelt, I'd be dead.

RoeDapple 2 years, 12 months ago

When I got my first motorcycle in 1965 my dad told me to be sure to get the shipping crate so they would have something to bury me in. The only (street) accident I ever had was when I was hit from behind by a drunk while waiting to make a left turn. Heal well friend, to ride again.

bootlegger 2 years, 12 months ago

Death bikes...............thats all they are...........

gsxr600 2 years, 12 months ago

Hopefully he'll make a full recovery. Always sucks to hear when a rider goes down. That being said, helmets save lives, I know from firsthand experience.

mawils 2 years, 12 months ago

We live right one the curve that it happened at. Looked bad. He was going to fast and flipped over handle bars from what we heard

pagan_idolator 2 years, 12 months ago

Heard it flying overhead and my heart sank. Lots of bad stuff going down lately.