Archive for Friday, April 22, 2011

Lawrence police looking for suspect in reported armed robbery involving high school student

April 22, 2011

Lawrence police are searching for a suspect in a reported armed robbery that occurred Tuesday morning in the 2200 block of West 26th Street near Holcom Park.

A 16-year-old Lawrence High School student reported to police that he was sleeping in a friend’s vehicle when he was awakened around 5:30 a.m. by someone inside who he said was stealing stereo components from the vehicle, said Sgt. Matt Sarna, a police spokesman.

The LHS junior said the suspect pulled a gun on him when he realized he was inside the vehicle. The victim said the suspect then left the area in a black, four-door Dodge Stratus. He described the suspect as a man about 5 feet 6 inches tall, Sarna said.

About $600 worth of equipment was stolen, including an amplifier, a gray carpeted speaker box with two speakers and a black carpeted speaker box.

A teacher at the school made the report to police Tuesday afternoon. The police report was made public Thursday.

No one was injured, and no one has been arrested, Sarna said Friday.

Comments

garyr 3 years, 8 months ago

Sounds a bit fishy to me! Asleep in the car at 5:30 in the morning? A 16 year old? Sounds like someone may have stolen his friends stereo equipment, and then gotten scared. And, instead of confessing out of fear, made up this lame story. "gray carpeted speaker box with two speakers and a black carpeted speaker box", aren't these boxes usually kept in the trunk? How is he going to open the trunk, get all this out, and walk off with it? This, indeed, sounds fishy. Cuff him, Dano (the 16 year old "suspect").

Lee Saylor 3 years, 8 months ago

This sounds like equipment was in a station wagon, therefore no trunk. I know several teens who have a station wagon with large 'carpeted speakers boxes' and amps in their cars.

muttonchops 3 years, 8 months ago

Well, if he was loading it into another vehicle, does it really matter how many he can carry at one time? It's not like that trip inside from the car with groceries where you insist on carrying it all in one trip and you end up with 7 bags on each arm and can't get your key up to the doorknob.

Brandi Simpson-Glover 3 years, 8 months ago

agreed! those speaker boxes are kept in the trunk and the kid was asleep in the car, apparently in the back seat b/c the article said gun was pulled when guy noticed teen in car and I would assume the speaker boxes were not in the front passenger seat....sounds ridiculous and fishy. and why was the kid not in someones house, asleep in the car at 5:30 am???

ksarmychick 3 years, 8 months ago

That's exactally what I was thinking. What was a 16 year old doing sleeping in a car at 5:30am on a school day? Plus most robbers would check the car before breaking into it. Seems a little strange to me...

somedude20 3 years, 8 months ago

This smells as fishy as The Bunny Ranch!!! Something's rotten in Denmark

mrbig 3 years, 8 months ago

I didn't know they made a station wagon Dodge Stratus....

Lisa Rasor 3 years, 8 months ago

Let's not be so quick to suspect the teen who reported the theft. I know of plenty of teens who are homeless; they couch-surf with friends, or sleep wherever they can, including in cars. If that is this young man's situation, I hope he finds a safer place soon. (And yes, the homeless teens attend school--often most of their peers don't even realize they're homeless.)

luvmykids 3 years, 8 months ago

I believe the teen. I live over by holcom and got my house broke into and what they took was bs.

muttonchops 3 years, 8 months ago

Why spend your time in the back of a friend's station wagon when you can hang out at Free State? I see plenty of homeless people in there all the time. Or is the haven't-bathed-in-8-weeks look just a new fad?