Archive for Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Retired Lawrence biology teacher Stan Roth to be inducted into Kansas Teachers’ Hall of Fame

April 20, 2011

Retired Lawrence High School biology teacher Stan Roth marks down a bird species in a wildlife area northwest of Lawrence during the Christmas bird count.

A retired biology teacher who remains devoted to teaching youngsters in the Lawrence area will be inducted into the Kansas Teachers’ Hall of Fame.

Stan Roth, who taught biology at Lawrence High School for 38 years before transferring to Free State High School for two years and retiring in 1999, is among nine educators included in the hall’s 2011 class.

Roth and his colleagues will be honored during an induction ceremony June 4 at the hall.

“Of course, it’s an undeniable honor,” Roth said Tuesday afternoon, after helping educate Schwegler School students visiting the Akin Prairie southeast of Lawrence. “But the most important thing is it’s a way to get the word out to the public that the profession of school teaching is a worthy profession. It truly is.”

More than 350 educators have been inducted into the hall, which was founded in 1977 and is billed as the first teachers’ hall of fame in the United States.

To be inducted, an educator must have been a K-12 or vocational school teacher or administrator for at least 25 years and meet a number of standards of excellence.

Other former Lawrence High educators — including Ray Wilbur, who taught math, and Gertrude Ruttan, who taught Latin — already are in the hall.

Bill Medley, who served as Lawrence High’s principal from 1966 to 1973, is looking forward to seeing Roth join them.

“The product that he produced as a teacher is almost unparalleled,” said Medley, who nominated Roth for induction. “He has many, many former students who have reached a very high level in their professions. He spent hours and hours working with students outside the classroom, and that set him apart from other people.”

Comments

GUMnNUTS 3 years, 8 months ago

I remember my class with Mr. Roth well, fantastic teacher who was very passionate about biology. Loved snake feeding time and the flying eraser aimed at the sleeping students. Teaching back in the day without all the entitled parents blaming you for their child's shortcomings must have been nice. Thank you for challenging me to live up to my potential.Congratulations on a great career and your new found H.O.F. status

Scott Kaiser 3 years, 8 months ago

I had Mr. Judd for Biology but would stay after school to go to Mr. Roth's classroom on snake feeding days. I agree about his passion for teaching and Biology and wish the very best for this dedicated Teacher!

FlyingSpaghettiMonsterLove 3 years, 7 months ago

Funny, I've been hearing complaints about "entitled parents" for decades, and how much better it was back in the day. The null hypothesis: Nothing's actually changed. But since you're making the claim, I'm sure you've got evidence to back it up.

My guess is that we're just a few decades older and our memories of the good old days are imperfect and selective.

youngjayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I also have fond memories of learning in Mr. Roth's class. His contagious enthusiasm for science and educational field trips were great. Congrats, Mr. Roth, on the honor, YOU deserve it!

wn1127 3 years, 8 months ago

Mr. Roth was my favorite high school teacher. I loved the tests during which we moved from seat to seat, looking in different microscopes, etc. Congratulations, Mr. Roth, on this well-deserved honor!

pace 3 years, 8 months ago

I worked with Mr. Roth on several project. Smart, fair, tough, interesting, dedicated. Many thanks to him..

tokenshi 3 years, 8 months ago

YES! About time. I have never been more affected by a teacher than I have by Mr. Rother - Its because of him that I like science.

He was also the single hardest teacher I had in Highschool, he actually made us WORK for our grades, think critically and ask tough questions. Something that even as a university student, was hard to find.

One of the saddest days for me was during commencement, when I found out that Roth was basically being forced into retirement for political reasons :(. Only in kansas would a biology teacher be shown the door for teaching science over fantasy.

Stan - You're an inspiration to us all. About damn time you got some recognition!

jeff55 3 years, 8 months ago

Mrs Roth was also a good biology teacher. She was great at keeping the bad boys under control and still teaching them a little bit. Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order?

cato_the_elder 3 years, 8 months ago

Gertrude Ruttan, Ray Wilbur, Stan Roth - all giants in the teaching profession. Lawrence is quite well-represented in the Kansas Teachers Hall of Fame.

BigPrune 3 years, 8 months ago

I wonder what happened to all the Social Security numbers he required his students to submit to him? Never could figure out what THAT was all about.

gecko0302 3 years, 8 months ago

He required us to memorize our SSN and drivers license numbers. This knowledge came in pretty handy after highschool. Were you one of the kids he threw erasures at?

5thgeneration 3 years, 8 months ago

Well deserved. I was fortunate enough to have Biology with Mr. Roth in the mid early 1990's. Never had I experienced a teacher of his caliber. My last classroom memory was the last day of the year, when he started to tear up............ stating that he felt he had failed with some of his students. Never before had I witnessed such devotion to his students, and love for the subject he was teaching. USD 497 lost a tremendous asset when he retired.

Congratulations Mr. Roth!!!!!!!!!

pinenewa 3 years, 8 months ago

Congratulations Mr Roth. He was a favorite teacher of mine as well as Mr Wilbur. I learned many life lessons from him.

fourthrowrocks 3 years, 8 months ago

Congratulations, Mr. Roth. Echoing the sentiment of previous comments, you are one of the all-time greats. I still have my seed collection, and I'll never forget how you challenged us.

coloradojayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I think my parents still have some of my collection from the trip to Florida my Junior year. So many memories from Oceanography and Advanced Biology. The hard work put in (my accelerated college biology course used the same text book), picking up roadkill all over town to put into the freezer for the intestine measuring lab, the asparagus experiment, his breaking a yardstick when he smacked a desk of a dozing student, the trips to Florida and Hawaii, the various animals, being proud to hear him defending science in the face of religion, my lab experiment caring for mice in the steam tunnels under LHS (more a lesson in how not to design an experiment).

This is a well deserved acknowledgment.

Tim Orel LHS '81

kiwijayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

Like so many others, i am extremely pleased that Stan Roth is being honored iin this way; i still to this day treasure the things i learned about our world, and learned about scientific method. while backpacking, I often think of how much Mr Roth would love the bryophytes and ferns of New Zealand.

JohnMoore 3 years, 8 months ago

Roth was the best. I learned a heck of lot in his classes, and a lot more on his field trips. If I wasn't an engineer deep in my DNA, I would have gone into biology.

John LHS 65

thorsdag 3 years, 8 months ago

I was a student in Mr. Roth's biology class the first year he taught at Lawrence H. S. (1959), and I recall him expecting a lot of us sophomores. Many of my classmates and many who graduated in the subsequent decades were inspired to pursue careers in science and teaching as a result of his enthusiasm and his personal example of intellectual curiosity and high standards of learning. As an old man today but still working as a writer and college teacher myself, I salute Stan Roth for his many years of dedicated service and wish him well in receiving this much-deserved honor. It's unfortunate we cannot clone this person to carry on his tradition of academic excellence.

Tod Roberts (LHS class of 1961) Sarasota, Florida

rooper 3 years, 7 months ago

i had mr. roth for one semester. i didn't do very well, but that was my fault. i loved the way mr. roth did things. all the live creatures in the room and the stories he shared. one day he (probably shouldn't have) carried a snake around the room on his hand. told us not to make sudden movements and if we couldn't handle it, to step outside the room and stand at the door. he walked freely around the room and the snake rested through his fingers and around his arm. the following semester my new teacher displayed a snake by pinching it around the head and showing all kinds of fear in his eyes, stood before the class then quickly put the snake back. if i hadn't already known it, i would have then realized how cool mr. roth was. i also thought he was a late night radio voice that i heard every night. haha.

Cynthia Schott 3 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Roth was/is a role model for me when I get the opportunity to sub sciences classes here in Belton, MO. Best teacher ever! Thanks for helping me easily quiz out of sciences in college! Now I wish that I had pursued them! Cindy

thebigspoon 3 years, 7 months ago

I graduated in 1976 and had Mr. Roth for 2 years. One of the best teachers I ever had. I remember is pop quiz question : what is h2o4 ?????