Archive for Monday, April 18, 2011

Lawrence residents enjoy brew from sister city Eutin, Germany

A brewery in Lawrence's sister city of Eutin, Germany shared its recipe with Free State Brewery.

April 18, 2011

Martin Vollertsen, the chairman of the Friends of Lawrence in Eutin, Germany, reads a letter from the mayor of Eutin before the tapping of a keg of beer made using a recipe from Eutin Sunday, April 17, 2011 at Free State Brewery.

Lawrence’s bond with its sister city Eutin, Germany, grew a little stronger on Sunday evening.

Free State Brewery, 636 Mass., tapped its first keg of the Eutin St. Michael’s “Tafelbier” — an original recipe, compliments of the Eutin brewery.

A delegation of seven visitors from Eutin attended, including Wolfgang Nimmich, brewmaster and senior chef of St. Michael’s, and Hans Wilhelm Hagen, president of the Volksbank Eutin and co-chairman of the Eutin Summer Opera Festival.

Andrew Toth, a Colby senior in civil engineering at Kansas University, took an internship opportunity through the school’s student exchange program at the Volksbank in 2009. He said Hagen has been instrumental in strengthening the cities’ relationships.

“For the longest time it was only one or two or three interns a summer. After Hans got involved, it’s stepped up to be more like 10 interns a summer.”

“Not only (can we) push our exchange programs a little, but the very special reason is there will be a new cooperation between the new Eutin summer festival and the KU School of Music,” said Martin Vollertsen, chairman of Friends of Lawrence in Eutin, who also made the trip.

By helping revive the opera festival, which took a financial hit last year, Hagen and his colleagues made it possible for about 70 KU student musicians to travel to Eutin this summer for six weeks to perform “Don Giovanni” and “Hansel and Gretel.”

Beer wasn’t the only thing on tap at Free State on Sunday. Two students from the KU School of Music serenaded the crowd with a xylophone and stand-up bass.

Newly elected City Commissioner Bob Schumm, who signed the sister-city agreement with Eutin in 1989 as Lawrence mayor, was on hand to sample the new brew.

“I’ve been to Eutin three times myself. One year we gave them a Kansas barbecue. We took the ingredients for feeding 200 people in Eutin, Germany, in a Kansas barbeque, so it’s kind of fun,” Schumm said.

Toth expected more flavorful formula exchanges in the future.

“Hopefully it goes both ways,” Toth said. “Hopefully they take a recipe back and brew it in Eutin.”

Comments

Tristan Moody 3 years, 8 months ago

The percussion instrument wasn't a xylophone; it was a vibraphone. There's a huge difference.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 8 months ago

Um, what exactly is the beer?

Perhaps the writer isn't aware that beer comes in more flavors than Bud and Bud Light.

squarepusher 3 years, 8 months ago

There must be sibling rivalry with this "sister" city. I have yet to see a German eatery in Lawrence. Heck, I have yet to see German anything in Lawrence. So maybe drop the sister act?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 8 months ago

Heck, it's hard to find a German eatery in Germany.

Brandon Devlin 3 years, 8 months ago

Really? I must travel to the few parts of Germany where people actually eat.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes, they do eat. My point was that it's often easier to find other ethnic food, such as Spanish, Italian, French, Turkish or whatever else than it is to find a "German" restaurant. At least that's the way it was last time I was there, which, admittedly, was a number of years ago.

Brandon Devlin 3 years, 8 months ago

I was being a bit sarcastic. . .I should turn that down a little bit sometimes. LOL

I spend a lot of time in Bavaria for work, where I've enjoyed some of the best German cuisine ever. But I have to admit, I've had some of the best Italian, Greek, Turkish and Balkan food there too. For every "Gasthaus," there has to be at least another "ethnic" restaurant within a stone's throw.

jayrat 3 years, 8 months ago

Come on people -- priorities!!!

Was the beer only available on Sunday night, or will it be on tap for a little while? Can I get a growler of the brew?

Eride 3 years, 8 months ago

Ditto, someone answer the (only) important questions!

pizzapete 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm wondering how long the beer will be on tap, too. I'd like to try it out. Is it a lager, pilsner, stout, bitter, ale, etc? Anyone?

Shane Garrett 3 years, 8 months ago

Will there be any beer left by tonight if I drive over for a glass? Somebody, get the real news going. Excieted readers must know.

A_nonymous 3 years, 8 months ago

The Eutiner Tafelbier is an unfiltered amber lager.

It is on tap at Free State Brewery until this batch sells out. You should be able to get some tonight if you stop by!