Archive for Saturday, April 16, 2011

Two dead, three with serious injuries after accident on Kansas Highway 10 near Eudora

A two-vehicle accident about 3:30 p.m. on Kansas Highway 10 east of Eudora Saturday, April 16, 2011, claimed the lives of two people. Three others were seriously injured.

April 16, 2011, 3:46 p.m. Updated April 16, 2011, 4:17 p.m.

A two-vehicle accident on Kansas Highway 10 east of Eudora about 3:30 p.m. Saturday, April 16, 2011, claimed the lives of two people. Three others were seriously injured.

Two people died and three others had life-threatening injuries after a two-vehicle accident on Kansas Highway 10 near Eudora on Saturday, April 16, 2011. At least one helicopter was called to take one of the injured to a Kansas City-area hospital.

Fatality accident on K-10 diverts traffic

A fatality accident left two dead and three seriously injured Saturday afternoon. The accident on K-10 near Eudora caused traffic to be rerouted through the town. Enlarge video

A 5-year-old and a 24-year-old were killed and three others were seriously injured in a two-vehicle, head on collision Saturday on Kansas Highway 10, near mile marker 11 just south of Eudora.

According to a report from the Kansas Highway Patrol, the accident occurred about 3:30 p.m. The 24-year-old, Eudora resident Ryan Pittman, was pronounced dead at the scene, while the 5-year-old, Eudora resident Cainan Shutt, was not breathing when emergency crews arrived. He was taken to Overland Park Regional Medical Center and later pronounced dead.

The accident occurred when a Toyota Camry driven by Pittman left the eastbound lanes of K-10 and crossed over the median. The vehicle then struck a Dodge Caravan traveling west head-on.

Two helicopters transported two of the patients, while the other was transported by ambulance. Eudora resident Danny Basel, 57, was the driver of the van and was transported to Overland Park Regional Medical Center. Deborah Basel, 51, Eudora, was taken to Kansas University Hospital.

According to Cindy Shutt-Brown, a relative of the the victims, Courtlyn Shutt, 23 months old, is recovering from a broken neck at Children's Mercy Hospital. The Basels are the grandparents of Courtlyn and Cainan, she said.

Shutt-Brown said the family is planning on starting a memorial fund of some type, but she did not have specific details yet.

Further condition updates for the patients were not available from any of the hospitals.

According to KHP reports, Pittman was the only victim not wearing a seat belt.

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

Eudora, near mile marker 11

Comments

Cait McKnelly 4 years ago

This is heart breaking. My father made a point of saying, "I love you.", every time anyone walked out the door. He always made it known that, if for some reason, that person never came back he would always know that his last words to them were "I love you.". He was always faithful with this, even if it was an argument where some one stormed out (and raising four girls there were plenty of occasions for that to happen!). It's stories like this, and being my father's child, that makes me carry the habit on.

Majestic42 4 years ago

My parents did that and I continue it with my wife every day. Some might see it as morbid, but you sure don't want your last words to your family to be "I'm going to go pick up some jellybeans, see you later."

Jessie Stoltenow 4 years ago

My heart aches for this family! Please keep your prayers strong.

applejuice 4 years ago

anyone know what kind of car it was? My dad and brother were traveling on K-10 and I am hoping to rule them out.

applejuice 4 years ago

I ruled out my family but I am so sorry for this family that has to deal with this tragedy.

jackpot 4 years ago

Report from channel 9 now two died. 24 and 5 years old. Just way to young.

Amy Heeter 4 years ago

Channel 5 reported a five year old old died at the hospital.

jackpot 4 years ago

Crossover cables help in Missouri, why can't Kansas use them? I'm thinking of 3 accidents that could have helped prevent in last 6 months.

DeMontfort 4 years ago

According to Channel 5, they are not cost-effective. Yet. Seriously. Maybe our intrepid Lawrence reporters could confirm this? Come on...one of you has to be intrepid, right? Make it a competition between LJWorld and Knology. Who can get the story first?

ku_law_pumo 4 years ago

How can they not be "cost effective" when the cost is several lives a year? Do we apply this logic to all traffic safety measures? If so, I'd say median cables are no less cost effective than red-light cameras, which create one traffic danger while preventing another.

phoggyhawk 4 years ago

I agree! I commute from Lawrence to Lenexa for work and worry all the time about someone crossing the median. Put in the wires DoCo and JoCo! It will save lives!

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years ago

OMG i agree!!!!! this is crazy!!! I think the state of kansas or douglas county or whoever is responsible for this highway are to blame for these deaths!!! to me its plain murder!!! in missouri it is a law that if a median is less than 60 ft wide that if MUST have median barriers!!! why not kansas?? this makes me sick!!! i hope someone with some authority sees this and does something!! matter of fact i am going to contact someone and push for barriers!!!

Jay_Bird 4 years ago

Cable barriers are a death trap for motorcycle riders!

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years ago

then i suggest SOME KIND of barrier!!!

dontcallmedan 4 years ago

Sadly, motorcycles are a deathtrap for motorcycle riders.

Majestic42 4 years ago

There's the old story of someone at the top of the heart transplant list, but the doctor isn't worried, because it's raining and a motorcycle rider is bound to be brought in soon. Sad but true. dangerous business.

dontcallmedan 4 years ago

"Most people"--doubt it. You might be lucky to find 10% who would want the government to ban cycles.

arooney05 4 years ago

My heart goes out to all the families involved in this accident! I am praying for all of you!

Crystal Patterson 4 years ago

How many people have to die in crossover wrecks on K-10 before they realize it's worth the money to string barrier wire from Lawrence to Lenexa? There was an article recently about the barrier wires that said it cost $100,000 per mile to put up, I estimate from K-10 near Knights of Columbus to where the highway splits as K-10 nears 435 is approximately 24.5 miles. That is 2.45 million dollars. They can spend a million dollars on a freaking roundabout but not 2.45 million on something that could help prevent these type of accidents from occurring. It makes me so sad to think how many people would still have their loved ones if a little wire had been strung along K-10.

arooney05 4 years ago

exactly! Wire barriers need to be installed on K-10 and the sooner this happens the better!

arooney05 4 years ago

I am not sure how many people would still have loved ones today if these types of barriers were installed. But I know it is alot and I know that I would still have my mom!

Patrick Rooney 4 years ago

I know babe. Brings up bad momories...

countrygirl 4 years ago

Her co-workers still miss her too. Hugs to you and your family.

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years ago

What consequences do the dead have for killing innocent people????? yes they loose their own life but the families of the deceased are the ones who truly suffer!!!

Norm Jennings 4 years ago

I love your never-neverland where accidents only happen from medical conditions or a lack of training beyond license requirements,

...and never a bad decision or an error are made.

how do I get there?

By the way, our governments already have unsustainable debts because of past great ideas that we didn't have the money for either, my grandchildren will be lucky to keep up with the interest with little hope of ever paying down the principle.

Barriers could save lives for occupants of "second vehicles" that might be spared from such cross-over accidents. However, I recognize that motorcyclists might not survive loss of control (due to no fault of their own) from these measures.

The only solution that makes sense to me is to truly enforce the laws in existence. Speed enforcement on this highway is a joke, texting is rampant, and aggressive drivers weave, tailgate, etc with impunity.

BruceWayne 4 years ago

they can remove comments but not update the actual story...2 confirmed dead. Just tragic.

labmonkey 4 years ago

While I agree with the need for barriers or crossover cables, once cannot tell from the story whether or not this was a crossover accident.

compmd 4 years ago

it was a head-on collision at high speed as shown by the photos. Probably a crossover.

phoggyhawk 4 years ago

KCTV5 is reporting the accident as a crossover. A passenger vehicle crossed the median and hit a minivan head in. Driver of the passenger vehicle passed away as well as a 5 year old assumed to be in the minivan but they didn't make that clear in the brief article I read.

seekthetruth 4 years ago

Yes Cainan was in the minivan and it's his seat out on the ground. Just pray for all!

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years ago

"The accident occurred when a Toyota Camry driven by Pittman left the eastbound lanes of K-10 and crossed over the median. The vehicle then struck a Dodge Caravan traveling west head on."

labmonkey 4 years ago

That update was not in the article when I wrote my comment.

seekthetruth 4 years ago

Yes it was a crossover. They were almost home from a day of fun and it ended so tragically.

John Hamm 4 years ago

Throw this out for people's consideration. You can say a barrier strip or cable will prevent crossover accidents BUT consider these two factors: 1) Quite often in a crossover the errant vehicle can be maneuvered through oncoming traffic and there's no accident. 2) Quite often with a barrier strip the vehicle rebounds, at an unusual or uncontrollable angle back into high speed traffic with serious consequences. It matters not how "safe" the highway is designed it does matter that drivers start, once again, driving.

LoveThsLife 4 years ago

This is so sad. Seeing that child car seat laying at the scene gives me chills. My thoughts are with the family and friends of those involved. I really hope they find some peace in this mess. I really hope Kansas put up some barriers to prevent these type of accidents from happening again..it seems like there is a bad accident on that stretch of highway every few months.

phoggyhawk 4 years ago

Probably not. But people are going to do what they are going to do. Even so, individuals have siezures, cardiac arrest, tire blowouts, etc. Does it mean they need to die or cause injury/death to others because of it? No. If the barriers were there to begin with, perhaps only one vehicle would have been involved, non-threatening, injuries and a family may still have their five year old child. So, it doesn't matter HOW it happened, what matters is it could have been prevented, regardless of actions leading to the accident.

RaynRavyn 4 years ago

Pretty much ANY cost would be justified to prevent another family losing a child.

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years ago

i totally agree with you RaynRavyn. If it only took money to save my childs life or any child's life i would rob a bank or whatever it took to come up with any amount of money!!!! this is people's lives we are talking about someone's daughter, son, mother, father, someone's loved one!!!

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years ago

I couldn't have said it better Pywacket!!!!

Eudora_Terri 4 years ago

We need to add the barriers on K-10. I don't know what happened in the accident on Saturday. I just think that if the barriers had been in place we would still have two young people with us.

eudoragirl 4 years ago

Proudmomof3boys 4 years ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these victims! I hope and pray that the others survive!

blindrabbit 4 years ago

So sad, don't know the cause of this accident; but the State is pushing for even higher speed limits on similar roads. Why is K-10 in the Eudora area so serious accident prone??

nekansan 4 years ago

The lack of median barriers certainly appears to have contributed to these deaths. I've been personal witness to other crossover accidents as well. There was a trailer that became unhitched near DeSoto less than a year ago and came within inches of killing a driver traveling in the opposite direction.

Sharon Aikins 4 years ago

birdiegirl 4 years ago

Prayers are certainly appreciated. I personally know the family in the van. Injuries are serious. We are all very heavy hearted this evening.

nekansan 4 years ago

Relative to the cost and maintenance of the divided 4 lane highway the cost of median barrier cabling is negligible. It is beyond time that KDOT invest in improving safety on K-10. It is a very busy roadway and would be money well spent. Somehow I suspect that the legislature would rather find another few million dollars in tax cuts for businesses and campaign contributors then actually save lives and create jobs installing the barriers.

Terry Jacobsen 4 years ago

Pathetic that you had to turn a tragedy like this into a political joust. Prayers for all involved will be my only comment.

jarodgrape 4 years ago

thank you for your kindness my cousin ryan was the one driving the toyota camery

julz 4 years ago

So which vehicle were the Shutts in? The article did not say

seekthetruth 4 years ago

The Shutt's and their grandparents were in the van. Obviously the large car seat/booster on the ground in front of the little car was Cainans

ksarmychick 4 years ago

How do you know the large carseat/booster on the ground is Cainan's? There was also a 2nd child in the car.

blindrabbit 4 years ago

Speaking of highway barriers, at a probably inappropriate time but; Kansas has invested heavily in the New Jersey type concrete barriers instead of the tensioned wire barriers favored in Missouri and other states. It is my understanding that the wire barriers are not only more safe (especially in crossover types of accidents) but are much less costly and relatively easy to install and repair. Also, the concrete barriers are death traps to all kinds of wildlife and pets as the animals attempt to cross the road; instead the critters meet and turn parallel to the barrier instead of turning off the road. I'm sure Kansas Highway Department would not agree with this; but they are also the champion of roundabouts.

Jay_Bird 4 years ago

Cable barriers are a death trap for motorcycle riders!

ksarmychick 4 years ago

The kids were in the minivan-the basel's are their grandparent's.

pagan_idolator 4 years ago

I was heartsick when I read this. My prayers for both families.

John Moore 4 years ago

I think that Douglas county resident and Johnson county resident should send a message to the dot to raise a red flag about the dangerous stretch of K-10 where a strong cable line should be placed. My thoughts and prayers goes out to the family. When is dot going to install the cable line so that there will be no more dead on highways?

coloradoan 4 years ago

Along with cable barriers, maybe some enhanced law enforcement presence would help. I don't travel K-10 as often as some of you, but I have not seen radar traps or even patrolling KHP or sheriffs. Maybe I missed them, but I think that could go a long way towards achieving some safer driving habits.

coloradoan 4 years ago

I would submit that the presence of law enforcement patrols addresses more than just speed limit compliance. Law enforcement also includes matters ot inattentive driving, texting, etc. FWIW.

Prayers for the victims and families...

Kris_H 4 years ago

compmd 4 years ago

last night around 1:30am, there were several douglas and johnson county sheriffs parked along K10.

bluedawg79 4 years ago

Drove by it on the way to Kansas City. Just makes your heart sink. My thoughts are with those involved and their families.

jlzack 4 years ago

so did I.... it was terrible..... & on my way back from KC, I was driving about 70-73 mph & cars were passing me like I was sitting still...

Deja Coffin 4 years ago

I went to school with family members of both parties involved in this accident. While I didn't know either real well, my heart is completely broken and sadden by this. Words cannot explain how deeply sorry and sad I am for everyone and I will be saying many many prayers for them all.

Patrick Rooney 4 years ago

This is Patrick, I went to school with the mother of the children. She is a great person, please pray for everyone invloved. This just brings up such bad momories. There needs to be something done on that highway.

Bob Forer 4 years ago

The new K-10 is a relatively new highway (probably only about 25 years old or so) Can anyone enlighten me on why there seems to be a lot of accidents on K-10 between Lawrence and Kansas City. Is it poorly engineered? People traveling too fas?. Lack of a median barrier? Heavy traffic? .

I have driven many interstate four-lane highways where there is only a grass median and no barrier. Why would it be indicated on this stretch. Perhaps the heavy amount of traffic?

coloradoan 4 years ago

As noted in prior comment, I just don't see the level of law enforcement that would keep things as safe as they should be. Just a thought.

talmanes 4 years ago

I drive it several times a day and never understand how anybody could crossover on that road (the road itself is in good condition). Then I look over and see some of the other drivers with their phones, oblivious to what's going on around them, and it all starts to make sense.

hujiko 4 years ago

You're heartless, this has nothing to do with politics. Two families have lost a loved one, maybe you have never been acquainted with someone who has passed away in a head-on collision, but many of us have and it is tragic and all too sudden.

Sorry, but there's no room for your kind of comments here.

Hoots 4 years ago

I agree. I see people messing with laptops, reading books, newspapers, putting on make-up, texing, all while going 75 mph. People just don't get it. If you mess up at those speeds you will get hurt or hurt someone else.

CreatureComforts 4 years ago

I drive the road every weekday and have never, ever seen any driver with laptops, newspapers or books. The other two, yes, but never those first three...

Jay_Bird 4 years ago

The "NEW" K10 was built around 1978 making it around 33 years old... Not so new anymore!

John Hamm 4 years ago

I can answer your question in two words, "BAD DRIVERS." Not specifically addressed to this terrible accident but come on folks none of you drive for nuthin'.

ECM 4 years ago

So if one of your tires blows at when you are going 70 it doesn't effect your car. Wow you must have magic powers. Cross over cable need to be installed ASAP!

GardenMomma 4 years ago

My sincerest condolences to all involved and to the families who have lost a loved one. My prayers are with you.

skybound 4 years ago

I'm in favor for crossover barriers but it will not solve all the problems on K10. My son was the victim of an 82 yr. old lady who was confused and driving westbound in his eastbound lane and hit him head on at 70 mph. He survived but was in intensive care at KU Med for a long time and very hard recovery. The lady died at the scene. I was at this accident today and was shocked to notice it was in the exact location of my son's accident except in westbound side instead of eastbound side. When LJW released names, I was shocked to discover I went to school with the driver of the minivan. It felt so weird to be there when Lifestar took off and I was sitting on the back porch sipping iced tea while my son was fighting for his life and I didn't even know it. I pray families are notified quicker now. It took 1 1/2 hrs to free my son from wreckage and I never found out until he was already life flighted to KU Med. My sincere prayers and sympathy to the families.

RKLOG 4 years ago

I'm really getting tired of reading about these head-ons! My family and I drive that road, this is extremely ridiculous.

Note to losers in command of that highway: put barriers up on that highway and this will likely cease to happen so frequently. Are you all plain stupid or just incredibly cheap and lazy?

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years ago

I dont know the percentages but I can tell you that there are far more fatality accidents on K-10 than there are on the local 2 lane highways. I cant explain why, it may have to do with speed, the distance the car has to travel before its in the grass on the other side of the road, i dont know but I do know that if median barriers were put up on K-10 and one tragedy was prevented then I believe its worth it. you can ask anyone that has lost a loved one on that highway if it would have been worth it prevent their loss!!

RKLOG 4 years ago

Nothing like this would cost a billion dollars, so that's kind of an odd point to make. But I would be all for a transit system.

RKLOG 4 years ago

I've lost 2 friends on highway 40, but that road winds around, has no shoulders, and is a two lane passing highway. I do not use it anymore. And I think the circumstances at K-10, with its wide 4 lanes, shoulders, and large median make it a suitable candidate for median barriers. Plop them down and worry less about cars crossing the strip and killing you.

seekthetruth 4 years ago

I am only up at this time unable to sleep as I am a great aunt to the beautiful little boy Cainan who lost his life today. I shouldn't have been reading this and I wish I never would have looked at the pictures taken of this accident. Now they are burned into my memory forever. But because I have read your whit above I must say that what you just wrote IS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO MY FAMILY.... The Shutt's, The Lawrence's and The Basel's.

PLEASE everyone see a picture of the BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BOY AS ELMO years ago in the ljw Reader photos, Halloween 2007 October 30, 2007 with two of his cousins.

Please pray for the family of Mr. Pittman too.

RKLOG 4 years ago

My point here is about seeing a flaw in the way K-10 is currently set up and I am demanding a fix. I don't have the money to make K-10 safer, and if those in charge don't have it either, then to me it makes sense to use what they do have to make it safer.

RKLOG 4 years ago

Our highways need to be reassessed for safety and restructured accordingly. What ever it takes. What a depressingly stupid thing to continue happening.

RKLOG 4 years ago

I will support transit. Unfortunately it seems to come up in debate about every 5 years and is quickly forgotten. Frustrating...

Sharon Aikins 4 years ago

The sad part is a lot of drivers just ignore the rules of the road. Right now the texting while driving scares me. We need to remember that we have a heavy, powerful machine under our control and we need to pay attention. I would support rail service and better transit.

Jersey_Girl 4 years ago

crazyredneckmomma - pick one; is it the "state of kansas or douglas county or whoever is responsible for this highway" or "these accidents occur when someone is speeding or distracted or whatever the case may be and crosses the median into the path of another vehicle" as Pywacket said? The problem, as I see it, is that K-10 is much more heavily traveled for what it was originally built for. It seems to get approximately the same amount of traffic at the same speed as I-70 but drivers give it the respect of the state highway it is rather than the interstate highway it is used as. Maybe barriers will help, I don't know. I don't know why K-10 seems to have so many more accidents between Lawrence and 435 than -70 does. Before the public decides what should be done to fix the problem, an expert should study why K-10 is so different from I-70 and change it accordingly. My fear is that if they put in concrete barriers, the people doing crossovers now will still get in accidents, just bounce off the barriers back into their own lane of traffic, still causing fatal accidents, perhaps worse ones because of the pile-up they are causing.

eudoragirl 4 years ago

well said. this highway was designed when speedlimits were much slower...and less traveled!

Hoots 4 years ago

Actually, all 4-lane roads are designed for much higher speeds than they are used for. This is a way of providing a margin of error. Where this accident happened it is almost straight. You should be able to do well over 100 mph in this section and easily maintain control.

Charlie Bannister 4 years ago

Sad, so sad. How in God's name did Pittman cross over to the other side? Just horrible in every way. Two young lives snuffed out and three lives with traumatic injuries with probably long recoveries, if they live. I drive 70 down K10 all the time and rarely pass anyone. I get passed constantly. This is why I love to see radar being run on this highway, the more the better. The lane changing with no signals being given is another ticket that ought to be written, along with tailgating. Many tickets are written for speed, but do they write many for the other offenses? I don't know. I truly pray for these families that the Almighty will somehow comfort them all with His loving embrace. Love to all.

jlzack 4 years ago

I wondered the same thing.... I drove to KC about 5:30 last night & saw the remains of this wreck (not knowing it was there) how does someone leave the road in great weather, excellend road conditions, no sun in their eyes? yet on my way home, I too had so many vehicles flying around me, while doing 70-73 mph..... it was as though I was sitting still.....

TopJayhawk 4 years ago

eudoragirl 4 years ago

crossover wires would help but i also am a firm believer that the speed limits should be reduced. i think if people want to speed along like it's a raceway then they should pay for the privelege and use the turnpike! i am a commuter on this highway and even when doing the speedlimit people fly by at least 80-85mph and i often see officers just ignoring this issue, yet pulling over somebody with a burnt out tag light.

Hoots 4 years ago

You mean the turnpike that is under constant construction with all the traffic tie-ups?

Jersey_Girl 4 years ago

TopJayhawk 4 years ago

First off. I give condolences to the families involved. It is a horrible tragedy for at least two families. I will pray for them and hope eventually they can move beyond this.

What I stated above was insensitive. Because of that I will not say anymore... I just hope that those that are now gone have found peace.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 4 years ago

I'm wondering too. Why aren't these comments being monitored?

stevemarkcraig 4 years ago

has any one heard how the people are doing who were driving the van

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

Think about it in numbers. Millions of cars travel that road every year, so the odds are good that there will be a few crossovers, and you hope they miss and end up in a field.

independant1 4 years ago

This 4 lane k10 hiway replaced and rerouted the old 2 lane k10. Many lives were lost on that old 2 lane hiway. Had several friends and family meet their end on that old deathtrap (remember the curbs on each side of pavement?)

This is an absolute tradgedy. The smaller auto travelled across the median into oncoming traffic - there may never be explanation why that happened, one can only guess.

Prayers and condolences to all involved.

Sharon Aikins 4 years ago

Condolences to all the families affected by this tragedy.

Hoots 4 years ago

I think this is a good reminder about seatbelt safety. The driver of the Toyota didn't have his belt on. Airbags alone will not save you in a crash like this. I'm very curious as to what the final cause will be. This wreck falls in line with an old statistic. Most fatal crashes are within 5 miles of the victims home. Thinking you don't need to buckle-up to run to the store might be the last bad decision you make.

conservative 4 years ago

The problem with barriers is that while they can prevent some accidents they will increase others. Look at how many cars safely slide off the highway during the winter and come to a stop unharmed in the median to be towed out later. Cables in the median would damage those cars and in some cases cause injuries or death to the occupants. Someone would need to do a study to figure out which set of conditions are more dangerous.

Kris_H 4 years ago

All those cars wouldn't even BE sliding off the highway in the winter if people would either drive according to weather conditions (slow the heck down and don't hot-dog around) or just stay home when it's undriveable.

Even though I'm in favor of some sort of barrier AND some increased law enforcement, I'm also in favor of an increase in personal responsibility. When you get off work or out of class in Lawrence and head out to KC, or vice versa, your job isn't over. Your job now is to drive. Not to eat, drink, or communicate via your handheld electronic device. Drive.

somebodynew 4 years ago

First, condolences to family and hopes for recovery for the injured.

@conservative - you must be a consultant who does "studies". I am not sure about you, but I would gladly put up with a few thousand in damage from a cable as opposed to me or anyone else Dying. Which is always a good possibilty in a cross over.

somebodynew 4 years ago

And no I haven't had my coffee yet today - I know it is dieing.

jpreiner 4 years ago

blindrabbit 4 years ago

woodscolt 4 years ago

Driven this area a thousand times. It might be another vehicle was involved that caused the car to crossover. Only takes seconds at highway speeds. So sorry for the people involved and their family and friends who's lives are forever changed. This is just heartbreaking to see.

Richard Heckler 4 years ago

The least expensive safety barrier would be allowing volunteer trees to grow in the median strip.

Some states do promote natural growth. I'll never understand why Kansas government spends so much money keeping every inch of our highways mowed. There have been plenty of accidents such as this to warrant a "hedge row" to grow.

Why did the legislature approve higher speed limits? Not a smart move. This might increase car insurance rates.

makesmewonder 4 years ago

First...my prayers and thoughts to both families!!!! Something really needs to be done with this highway..to many cross overs in the past few years taking lives!

Amy Heeter 4 years ago

What could have or should have been done isn't going to change the fact that a cold does and another is critically injured. Discussing speed and guard rails today won't change the horrors of yesterday.

mom_of_three 4 years ago

but it may prevent this horror from happening in the future.

Sunny Parker 4 years ago

A way to prevent 'cross-overs' might be for drivers to simply pay attention and drive.

CreatureComforts 4 years ago

Because crossovers never happen due to health or maintenance related issues...

thelonious 4 years ago

I live in Eudora and work in Lawrence, and I see texting while driving so much on this road that it makes me want to scream. I saw two particularly egregious examples of this just last Thursday. I obviously do not know if that had anything to do with this particular crossover, but what I have obsevered over the past few years is 1) an increase in texting/e-mailing/web-surfing while driving, and 2) an increase in cross-over accidents. Regardless of the cause of this accident, I call on the KHP, DoCo Sheriff, and LPD to start enforcing the texting while driving ban. Please.

Liberty275 4 years ago

The next thing the state of kansas needs to do is put a center divider on K10. They shouldn't even be allowed to discuss anything in the legislature until they approve it.

My condolences to the family of this tragedy.

hawkfanforlife 4 years ago

i know the state of Ks is installing the first cable barrier project on 75 hwy north of Topeka this summer. let's all hope that everything goes well. They are successful, I have seen reports from states that currently use them. I never believe anything TV channel 5 reports, they aren't reliable, Drive up and down I 435 in Missouri and you will see a vehicle that has been stopped by the cable barrier, it may not be perfect but it is a good idea for K-10 hwy that is for sure.

jpreiner 4 years ago

LadyLuck 4 years ago

My deepest condolences go out to both families involved. There is nothing anyone of us can say to these people. No amount of apologies for their losses, no amount of hoping for smooth grieving processes. This is an unmeasurable tragedy that's is going to kill everyone in those families for some time. My prayers for the souls that were lost yesterday go out every second. My deepest sympathy for their families, hoping for the others that were in the accident a safe recovery. This tragedy has struck a nerve across our community and I agree with many others on here when I say....PLEASE get those damn cables on K-10. It can't hurt to try, and I know I'd be happy to give more of my hard earned dollars to not see accidents like this in our community. Life is too precious and too short to worry about "cost effectiveness".

coop2007 4 years ago

You couldn't have said it better.

LadyLuck 4 years ago

By the way; does anyone know if there have been any donation collecting for these families?

shaunepec 4 years ago

LadyLuck, I haven't seen or heard anything, but if so, I'll get you the info. and post it as well. If anyone knows of anything, please feel free to shoot me an email: sdhittle@ljworld.com

Shaun Hittle LJW Reporter

ksarmychick 4 years ago

Does anyone know what kind of child restraint Cainan was in? A 5 point harness, backless booster, or a belt positioning booster? I know all 3 types of carseats would be considered legal to use for a 5 year old, and the article stated that he was wearing a seatbelt.

I am just wondering because it has been shown that children are safest when riding in a 5 point harness carseat and not a booster seat. A lot of people are also not aware that they now make carseats that have the 5 point harness up to 80lbs and 53 inches tall.

Liberty275 4 years ago

The barriers should end where cars aren't coming towards each other at 70+ MPH. We will never be safe, but for one of the main corridors between a large city and a medium sized university town (to where many inexperienced drivers will be driving) to be undivided is irresponsible. A cable barrier would cost $4,000,000 and would be adequate.

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years ago

Any unsafe bleep highway needs to be made more safe!!! And not so people can text, talk,. drink or whatever its so innocent people aren't murdered by those who don't follow the law!!!

repaste 4 years ago

Instead of cables, maybe the legislature should just vote to raise the speed limit.

Liberty275 4 years ago

"Cars aren't coming towards each other at 70+ miles an hour."

I do 79 to and from olathe and see lots of cars coming at me from the other direction.

"then what about all the other roads that are much more inherently dangerous?"

I think we should fix all the high speed intercity corridors. Then fix the other problems.

As for texting, I'm not even sure how people can do that while driving. It's pretty dumb.

monkeyspunk 4 years ago

malross1986 4 years ago

My fiancee and i are good friends with the Shutt's. He went to school with the father and Cainan was to be our ring bearer in our wedding exactly two weeks from yesterday. This little boy made such an impact on so many lives! He was such a joy to be around and it was always so cute seeing him hanging out with "the guys" down at my fiancee's shop! This precious little life was taken extremely too early and we are all, not only his family, but all the people that knew him, are grieving emencly for this families loss! T & A we love you guys so much and will always be here for you and CoCo! You are our family and we will do anything for you! I know some people are wanting to know what they can do for this family and my fiancee and i are taking up collections/donations for this family, whether it's food or $. We will also be opening up a trust fund at a local bank in Eudora in his name/a Coco college fund! I will come back on as soon as we can get things set up! Both families need all the support they can get through this terrible time!

jackpot 4 years ago

Hey JK or WM why no delay post on this story?

Dirtman24 4 years ago

CloveK 4 years ago

There absolutely needs to be a cable barrier. The posters advocating for the opposite makes me sick. The median is in no way wide enough to slow a car going the speed limit. It doesn't matter how the vehicle crossed the median, the fact is it did.

Accidents happen from crossovers that aren't fully preventable, blown tires, sudden health conditions or weather. I was close to losing my father on K10 last spring when he hydro planed across the median. Thankfully he came up 6 inches short.

The K-10 corridor would not be legal in Missouri, its not wide enough to be barrier free. I am not sure on the specifics but if there isn't enough grass barrier between the two sides, they are required to build a barrier of some sort.

There are ways to limit this kind of tragedy, Build the damn barrier. Please.

CloveK 4 years ago

"Its that simple."

Hardly. You don't know what caused the cross over, just that it happened.

Tell that to the family of the minivan and all the families that have had a loved one taken because a vehicle crossed the median.

This type of accident has happened before on that stretch of road and it will happen again. Personal responsibly can only go so far. The road is unsafe and all things considered, what needs to happen to make it much, much safer is very minimal.

gccs14r 4 years ago

A commuter rail line down the center median would function nicely as a crossover barrier and reduce the amount of traffic on K-10.

Beth Bird 4 years ago

Is there any update on the status of the survivors? Will they be okay, physically at least?

baby_girl31 4 years ago

I'm curious as to how the car Pittman was driving crossed over that middle grassy area. Did they release if he fell asleep? was drunk? inattentive driving? blown tire? anything?

I drive this highway to and from JCCC most days of the week and have yet to have any issues...just really curious...

My thoughts go out to the Shutts. Grew up next door to them back in the 90s...great kiddos.

BruceWayne 4 years ago

wow. that's all I've got. just wow.

Eudora_Terri 4 years ago

We need to have the wire barriers put on K-10. Too many people have been lost because the crossover accidents. Our thoughts and our prayers go out to all of the Eudora families affected by the accident on Saturday!

BruceWayne 4 years ago

This morning I drove k-10 to Olathe. This accident happened on what I would consider a straight section of road. It appears that maybe the young man had a medical condition? I am all for some type of safety device, but the cable system is a real danger to those that ride motorcycles. My thoughts and prayers go out to these families, and the Eudora community.

wmathews 4 years ago

I feel the discussion on this story has reached a point where it has stopped progressing and is now going in circles, so I've decided to enable moderated comments. That means all comments on this story will now be vetted by me before they will appear. You can read the moderated comments guidelines here: http://www2.ljworld.com/comments/moderated-guidelines/

To be clear, I will not be allowing any comments that speculate on who or what is to blame for the accident. Additionally, any name-calling or pointless bickering will not be allowed.

Whitney Mathews Assistant Community Editor for Online

Beth Bird 4 years ago

Is there any update on the status of the survivors?

wmathews 4 years ago

We're checking in today and hope to have an update soon.

stevemarkcraig 4 years ago

read the jw updates everyone it will make you sick this person should not have been driving had no drivers licence and was suspended and was on drugs this whole thing could have been prevented

yaboyfrankied85 4 years ago

It's very strange the way these two families, so close in a way came together this weekend.. I was friends with both families and for them to meet the way they did is absolutely awful. Ryan was my age and an incredible kid, always willing to lend a hand and never out with the intentions of doing someone harm. A neighbor for several years and a friend for even longer, he will be sorely missed and never forgotten. It hits even closer to home when I hear that Tommys boy was ripped from his arms while he sat, none the wiser at a Royals baseball game. His two children were out with grandpa and grandma, almost home after a fun weekend when they all crossed paths.. His two children, so close to the same age as my own boy and girl, and I just can't imagine what I'd do with myself if I were to ever get that kind of news. However, I DO KNOW, it would be extremely hard to continue on so what we all need to do now, instead of complaining about barriers, tearing at one another about the highway itself, or even PLACING BLAME AND MAKING FAR FETCHED ACCUSATIONS about those involved, is come together and pray that the lord will give BOTH of these families the strength to keep their heads up and carry on another day. I know that's what I would need, my communities support and their shoulders to lean on..

fissuregirl 4 years ago

Totally agree. I know the Basel/Shutt family and I concur wholeheartedly with "Yaboy" Eventually Tommy or one of the grandparents could decide to actually read what the paper wrote about the tragic moment in their life and then they'd have the experience of seeing this commentary on barriers and the like... Bring up Barriers where it actually matters and to the person/s that can actually do something about them.

Melinda Black 4 years ago

As someone that drives that stretch two times a day, 5 days a week, I can say that driving on a divided highway is VERY different from driving on a 2-lane highway. You are comparing apples and oranges.

On a 2-lane highway, drivers are focused on the oncoming traffic. However, on a divided highway, people are concerned about the cars traveling in the lanes right next to them, going in the same direction. Most aren't thinking about the cars traveling on the opposite side of a grassy median 60+ feet away.

When someone crosses over on a divided highway, it is very unexpected. No one is supposed to be coming toward you at high speed. Additionally, there is no where to go since cars are in the surrounding lanes. On a 2-lane highway, at least you have a chance of averting a collision by going off the road.

How many more people have to lose their lives on this stretch of road before KDOT acts? Missouri seems to have figured this out and has appropriate barriers.

My thoughts are with the families. What a tragic loss.

princess81 4 years ago

Sad situation for all involved..

Jersey_Girl 4 years ago

The cops are on it right now. State trooper pulling over a Pepsi truck eastbound, sheriff radar gunning westbound.

ladyhulu 4 years ago

found out that the driver that crossed the median was drunk and on a combination of drugs. so sad that this had to happen.

Patricia Kirk 3 years, 2 months ago

I went to Olathe on 10 just before noon and it looked like there were cars strewn all over, several beyond recognition. This article says the accident happened around 3:30pm. Does the Journal World have the time wrong or were there two terrible accidents today? How terrible. That poor little boy and my heart breaks for his parents. And the baby with a broken neck. Life can change in a minute.