Archive for Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tornado watch for Douglas County canceled

April 14, 2011, 11:31 a.m. Updated April 14, 2011, 7:58 p.m.

Area radar map, as of 6: 31 p.m.

Area radar map, as of 6: 31 p.m.

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

7:58 update

The tornado watch has been canceled for Douglas County, according to Douglas County Emergency Management.

6:19 update

The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for Douglas, Anderson and Franklin counties. The watch is effective until 9 p.m.

11:31 a.m. update

Thunderstorms, heavy rain and hail are possible across northeast Kansas Thursday afternoon and evening, according to the Hazardous Weather Outlook from the National Weather Service in Topeka.

Locations near and south of Interstate 70 may see baseball-size hail, winds up to 70 mph and isolated tornadoes.

Counties that could see severe weather include:

• Anderson
  • Pottawatomie
  • Republic
  • Riley
  • Shawnee
  • Wabaunsee
  • Washington

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

50YearResident 3 years, 11 months ago

Baseball size? Those could kill you! Better stay inside during this storm,-

thesloss 3 years, 11 months ago

Everybody but Lew Perkins ... he is skilled at dodging.

Tara Painter 3 years, 11 months ago

they hype it up but then it's not as bad as they say, if we do get any hail it will be pea size.

d_prowess 3 years, 11 months ago

I saw that weather.com now has the storm not coming to Lawrence till around 8pm.

ladykess 3 years, 11 months ago

wow! I wish you could also tell me what the winning lottery numbers are going to be - share with me your mystical powers!!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

Bike helmets, basements, work with me here, people!

crispysyn 3 years, 11 months ago

That sounds awesome. Baseball helmet, football pads and a baseball bat during a hail storm. Im in. Its a new sport that can only be played a few times a year.

gorilla10 3 years, 11 months ago

I bet we get no hail or damaging winds.....just a little thunderstorm.

Griffin 3 years, 11 months ago

In Lawrence, the thunderstorms tend to split up and go around us, or just weaken before they hit. Its probably due to KU's weather weapon/deflector.

gorilla10 3 years, 11 months ago

They do tend to miss Lawrence and the surrounding areas.....the big bad ones anyways

alm77 3 years, 11 months ago

Guess I'll go super-clean the downstairs bathroom, aka the innermost interior room without windows.

gorilla10 3 years, 11 months ago

Just a little thunderstorm......check for more of my weather updates the next time we are suppose to get "damaging storms"

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 11 months ago

boy, that was a whole bunch of nothing except moisture for the grass seed.

Multi, I think I know of a basement depot which should have an abundance of tin foil hats in a nearby county. They actually might help the wifi. I bet you could get a free wall poster of your favorite gun or car thrown into the mix. Also face masks for the epidemic moving up the trade routes.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 11 months ago

boy, that was a whole bunch of nothing except moisture for the grass seed.

riverdrifter 3 years, 11 months ago

O.43" in Baldwin. Just enough to give the yard a sip.