Archive for Thursday, April 14, 2011

Tornado watch for Douglas County canceled

April 14, 2011, 11:31 a.m. Updated April 14, 2011, 7:58 p.m.

Area radar map, as of 6: 31 p.m.

Area radar map, as of 6: 31 p.m.

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

7:58 update

The tornado watch has been canceled for Douglas County, according to Douglas County Emergency Management.

6:19 update

The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for Douglas, Anderson and Franklin counties. The watch is effective until 9 p.m.

11:31 a.m. update

Thunderstorms, heavy rain and hail are possible across northeast Kansas Thursday afternoon and evening, according to the Hazardous Weather Outlook from the National Weather Service in Topeka.

Locations near and south of Interstate 70 may see baseball-size hail, winds up to 70 mph and isolated tornadoes.

Counties that could see severe weather include:

• Anderson
  • Pottawatomie
  • Republic
  • Riley
  • Shawnee
  • Wabaunsee
  • Washington

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

Multidisciplinary 3 years ago

Could have used some of those masks for the smoke this month. I used my finger to wipe what I thought was dust along the hinge area of the laptop I've been using in the car with windows open all this month. That wasn't dust, it was soot!

riverdrifter 3 years ago

O.43" in Baldwin. Just enough to give the yard a sip.

Boston_Corbett 3 years ago

boy, that was a whole bunch of nothing except moisture for the grass seed.

Multi, I think I know of a basement depot which should have an abundance of tin foil hats in a nearby county. They actually might help the wifi. I bet you could get a free wall poster of your favorite gun or car thrown into the mix. Also face masks for the epidemic moving up the trade routes.

Boston_Corbett 3 years ago

boy, that was a whole bunch of nothing except moisture for the grass seed.

gorilla10 3 years ago

Just a little thunderstorm......check for more of my weather updates the next time we are suppose to get "damaging storms"

Multidisciplinary 3 years ago

snap, suppose I ought to get a helmet to wear in the car when I'm at a wifi during these? It would possible make some folks laugh to see me sitting here with one on in a hail storm. Funnier if I put a badminton racket on the dashboard.

alm77 3 years ago

Guess I'll go super-clean the downstairs bathroom, aka the innermost interior room without windows.

gorilla10 3 years ago

They do tend to miss Lawrence and the surrounding areas.....the big bad ones anyways

Griffin 3 years ago

In Lawrence, the thunderstorms tend to split up and go around us, or just weaken before they hit. Its probably due to KU's weather weapon/deflector.

gorilla10 3 years ago

I bet we get no hail or damaging winds.....just a little thunderstorm.

Flap Doodle 3 years ago

Bike helmets, basements, work with me here, people!

Starlight 3 years ago

Great. I have to drive 250 miles straight into this mess.

ladykess 3 years ago

wow! I wish you could also tell me what the winning lottery numbers are going to be - share with me your mystical powers!!

The_Original_Bob 3 years ago

"they hype it up but then it's not as bad as they say, if we do get any hail it will be pea size."

Was that the message in your fortune cookie?

d_prowess 3 years ago

I saw that weather.com now has the storm not coming to Lawrence till around 8pm.

caton1982 3 years ago

gtfo 3 years ago

Please, please, please come and hail on my 05 Crapolla. I would love for it to be totaled.

50YearResident 3 years ago

Baseball size? Those could kill you! Better stay inside during this storm,-