Archive for Monday, April 11, 2011

Eudora man shot after gun accidentally discharges

April 11, 2011, 12:00 a.m. Updated April 11, 2011, 10:58 p.m.

A Eudora man checked in to Lawrence Memorial Hospital on Monday evening with a gun shot injury after a weapon accidentally discharged. Eudora police corporal Chris Casagrande confirmed the incident was an accident and did not suspect foul play.

Casagrande said the man was driven to the hospital by another person and could not confirm his condition. Although the investigation is in its preliminary stages, Casagrande did not believe his injuries to be life threatening.

The Eudora police department said no updates were available, including the man's condition, late Monday night.

Comments

50YearResident 4 years, 4 months ago

I bet he was using a Glock! Most accidental discharges are with Glocks.

BlackVelvet 4 years, 4 months ago

A rather reckless allegation. Most "accidental discharges" are caused by lack of common sense and/or training by the person handling the firearm, regardless of the brand. Glocks are very safe weapons, as long as you keep you finger off the damned trigger, same as with any other firearm!

bigdave 4 years, 4 months ago

eotw33 (anonymous) says…

Actually most are with idiots.

+1!!

DillonBarnes 4 years, 4 months ago

Always safety check those firearms folks.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 4 months ago

There are no accidental discharges, only negligent discharges.

timetospeakup 4 years, 4 months ago

ADs happen, but they are extremely rare in comparison to NDs.

What if the gun has a previously unknown mechanical problem that causes it to fire when you use the decocking lever, despite the fact that you were handling it in what should be a safe way? That's not negligent handling, that's a broken gun. While rare, it happens, and that's why all 4 rules are so critical.

I agree, though, that the vast majority of ADs are really NDs that the person handling the gun isn't taking responsibility for.

grandnanny 4 years, 4 months ago

I wonder if he had a silencer on it. Lucky someone was there to take him to the hospital.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago

point the gun in a safe way, and always always always assume it's loaded and accidental shootings drop to near zero.

greenworld 4 years, 4 months ago

Why did he get the gun out to begin with?? Dont tell me to clean it or just shoot at some cans cuz im not buying it.

DillonBarnes 4 years, 4 months ago

What, people don't target shoot with their guns or clean their guns?

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

In 45 plus years of gun ownership I have fired in excess of 100,000 rounds of assorted ammunition. 99% of those were at "cans" (targets, if you will). Most of the rest were used hunting various species of edible wild game. A few were fired to chase off varmints of the four legged persuasion. One was an "accidental discharge" while unloading a handgun after a hunting trip. the weapon was pointed in a safe direction and did little more than disturb a few centimeters of grass. Never, never have I pointed a weapon at another person, however I did let it be known from inside the house that I had one, causing a would be burglar to drop his 4 foot crowbar entry tool and leave at a high rate of speed. If he can describe it he is welcome to claim it. Any time.

jafs 4 years, 4 months ago

Glad to hear that having a gun prevented a burglary, and without any violence.

That's the best outcome, in my view.

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

Ha! If I have guessed your age right (late 20's?) you probably weren't born yet when this happened! Something tells me you would be here and gone with it if you wanted it, with me none the wiser. ;-)

chihuahua2 4 years, 4 months ago

If your goin to own a gun u have to be extra extra careful with it!! I wont own one I have 5 children in my home and I dont think its safe at all!!! Sometimes its ok to have one if u have problems with intruders (for your safety) but other than that there is no need to have one!!! I'm sorry or if you are a hunter thats ok too!!!! But not with little children in the house!!! NOT FOR ME!!!

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

Good decision chihuahua2. If you don't feel safe around guns you probably never will. My children have been taught safe gun handling since they first showed curiosity about them, before kindergarten.

Charles L Bloss Jr 4 years, 4 months ago

I have carried a pistol since I was 21, I am almost 65 now. In that time, I had one "negligent" discharge with a Colt semi-auto. I have carried Smith & Wesson for the past 30 years. I have never shot a Glock, although the agency I worked for now carries them. I am fond of Smith & Wesson, and Walther pistols. I am pleased that we now have concealed carry in Kansas. I believe in the right of law abiding citizens to protect themselves and their families. Be safe out there.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

If your goin to use multiple exclamation points u have to be extra extra careful with them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But not with little children in the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years, 4 months ago

+1 in fact let me just say, +20 (as I am cleaning Roastery Nitro blend coffee off my keyboard.)

50YearResident 4 years, 4 months ago

I read a recent story of an accidendial discharge of a glock while reholstering the gun because the holster had a crimp in it at the trigger area and when the gun was inserted into the holster the trigger was depressed by the crease and fired the weapon into the holders leg. Most glock accidents happen when reholstering with a finger in the trigger guard. The trigger safety is the only safety on a glock. Most other guns also have another safety somewhere on the gun to prevent negligent discharges. They have either a slide safety or a grip safety or both. That is why glocks have the most accidental shootings of the person carring the gun.

timetospeakup 4 years, 4 months ago

Sounds to me like a defective holster, not a gun problem.

There are boatloads of handguns without an external thumb safety who's "only" safety is not pulling the trigger if you don't want to shoot, glocks are not at all unique in that regard.

DillonBarnes 4 years, 4 months ago

To expand on timetospeakup's comments (which were all correct), Glocks actually have 3 safety mechanisms, just not an external safety like you are speaking of. Many DAO guns don't have any external safety.

I wouldn't blame the Glock firearm for people holstering their firearms with the finger in the trigger, that's incorrect handling of a firearm. External safeties are mechanical devices that are subject to mechanical failures, they should not be used in place of ordinary gun safety rules.

Out of curiosity, could you cite where you're reading that Glocks have the most accidental shootings.

Joe Hyde 4 years, 4 months ago

I hope this guy's gunshot injury was very minor and was inflicted by a small caliber low velocity round, to where he's soon back to shooting again. With spring weather finally here there's lots of fun target shooting games a person can enjoy. Trap, skeet, sporting clays, bench rest rifles, metallic silhouettes, pistols, air rifles, you name it. Hope he comes out okay and has no lasting physical incapacitation.

Kontum1972 4 years, 4 months ago

actually he failed Weapons class 101....u shoot yourself with your own gun by accident you should not be allowed to own one....good thing he didnt own an atomic weapon.....LoL!

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

I once owned a Beretta 9mm a police officer traded in after shooting himself in the butt while taking it from behind his belt. An excellent piece, never had a problem with it. Poor habits would make any weapon dangerous under those circumstances.