Archive for Saturday, April 9, 2011

100 years ago: Toddler dies from accidental poisoning

April 9, 2011


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for April 9, 1911:

"A white paste-board box filled with pretty red tablets, which to her baby eyes, looked for all the world like candy she had seen, brought a terrible death to 3-year-old Vivian Dugan, the little daughter of W. H. Dugan, 915 Hancock, yesterday morning. Bright-eyed Vivian had seen her mama take the pretty little candied pills at night, and when she climbed to the shelf yesterday and clutched the box in her chubby little hand, there was no one near to say her nay. A half hour later her father found her in convulsions. By the time a physician could reach the house she was dead. Death was due to strychnine poisoning, although the tablets she ate contained enough belladonna to make a fatal dose. The tablets which had prescribed by Dr. Rudolph for Mrs. Dugan are commonly known to the medical fraternity as 'Hinckel Tablets.' They contain 1-60 of a grain of strychnine sulphate and 1-8 of a grain of belladonna together with other medicines. They are properly known as 'Cascara Cathartics' and are a very common laxative. They are very efficient in cases of constipation and are probably prescribed more frequently by physicians than any other form of pills. Yesterday when the box was picked up near the unconscious form of the little child, it contained but a single red sticky tablet. The child had eaten twenty-seven."


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.