From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for April 4, 1971:
- Robert Green, retired operator of Green Brothers Hardware, had a hobby of restoring antiques in his home workshop, but he had never repaired a clock as large and historic as his latest project. Green had bought and removed an old clock from the First National Bank building when it had been vacated, and he had spent most of the winter working on it. The clock, now refurbished and mounted on a pole in a lot just west of his home at 121 E. 17th, was now able to strike the Westminster chimes every quarter-hour -- however, out of consideration for his neighbors, Green had set the clock's mechanism to be silent between the 10 p.m. and 7 a.m. strikes.
- The Theta Chi house at 1329 W. Ninth was being auctioned off as part of a mortgage foreclosure action in Douglas County District Court. The local fraternity chapter had paid their rent regularly; however, the building's owner, Greek Builders Inc., had not kept current on its payments on a loan of $140,529.