Archive for Friday, April 1, 2011

Officers responding to two-vehicle accident at Baldwin Junction

April 1, 2011

Two cars have been involved in a rollover accident at Baldwin Junction.

Emergency crews were dispatched about 11:40 a.m. Friday to the intersection of U.S. Highways 59 and 56. According to Douglas County emergency dispatchers, two people were either not injured or suffered minor injuries in the crash.

Comments

Judgesmails 3 years, 9 months ago

Will they ever make this intersection safe??

How many accidents and tragedies need to happen?

Shardwurm 3 years, 9 months ago

When the 4-lane road is finished I'm hoping it will be better.

Hope they're ok.

kseagle 3 years, 9 months ago

mrbig 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for being so sympathetic to the families that will read your comment.

John Hamm 3 years, 9 months ago

The intersection is safe. It's the drivers who aren't!

Beth Bird 3 years, 9 months ago

I went through this intersection the other day coming North from Ottawa. There was a truck and trailer driving west from Baldwin towards Overbrook. They did not stop at all - never slowed down - nothing. They barreled through the intersection at 60+ miles per hour. Thank goodness that I saw them coming but I was concerned about the people south-bound towards Ottawa because they were not able to see the truck coming. It is a dangerous intersection.

Brian Hall 3 years, 9 months ago

I've seen people barrel through this intersection too since they moved it. I don't get it, it's not like the four-way stop is a new thing at that intersection, they just moved it a few feet. The thing is I don't think the new highway will stop people from just running the stop sign because the two times I've seen people not stop they've been going east-west between Baldwin and Overbrook, not between Lawrence and Ottawa.

Curtis Lange 3 years, 9 months ago

It won't be a four way stop when the new highway is finished so there won't be a stop sign to run. North/South traffic will travel on the overpass, while East/West traffic will go under the highway. Unless something extremely weird happened with an East/Westbound vehicle ramping the embankment, the traffic from each road has no chance of coming into contact with one another.

fan4kufootball 3 years, 9 months ago

It seems like since they made that intersection a four-way stop the number of accidents has declined.

KB824 3 years, 9 months ago

I drove by this accident this morning on my way from Baldwin to Lawrence. It wasn't exactly at the intersection but down Hwy 56 a few feet past the new overpass, just about where the service road is. I'm glad to hear there were only minor injuries and nothing serious.