Archive for Friday, April 1, 2011

Man who raped elderly woman wants shorter term

April 1, 2011

— A 22-year-old Missouri man says the sentence jurors recommended for his rape of a 92-year-old woman would be cruel and unusual punishment.

The jury in Johnson County, Kan., convicted Simon Angilda in January of raping the Leawood woman during a June 2010 crime spree that resulted in convictions on 14 counts.

The jury recommended a sentence of 85 years — nearly double the 44-year maximum called for in the Kansas sentencing guidelines.

The Grandview, Mo., man testified during his trial that he was drunk and high on ecstasy when he raped the elderly woman.

The Kansas City Star reports that Angilda's public defender argued Thursday that even though the rape case was repulsive, it was not necessarily worse than the average rape.

Sentencing is set for May 13.

Comments

Tammy Copp-Barta 3 years, 10 months ago

What about the cruel and unusual punishment the elderly woman had to endure and probably endures every day since the attack ... I say hang him by the male part!!! The sicko ...

Loretta James 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree with you make it public so i can throw rotten tomatoes at him this is sicking

Paul Decelles 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't have the link off hand, but if you read the original article, the rapist also claimed that he should get a reduced sentence because mentally SHE was alert. That has to be the oddest way of blaming the victim that I have ever seen.

Loretta James 3 years, 10 months ago

i think the defence lawyer needs a mental evaluation if i were a lawyer i would not touch this case

Christine Anderson 3 years, 10 months ago

Enough of people committing horrible crimes and blaming it on "well, I was high", or "I was driunk". As for the pervert wanting a shorter sentence, I say he needs a shorter....

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh, gosh, he was high at the time. That changes everything. Actually it doesn't. See you in 2096, scumbag.

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

Wonder who the idiot public defender is? Hmmm. BRB.

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

Carol Cline, Angilda's public defender, said the victim was "sharp as a tack" and that the rape "only lasted a couple of minutes". So, is she saying timing's everything when it comes to sentencing for a crime of this nature?

Not hardly, Ms. Cline!

workinghard 3 years, 10 months ago

Years ago when I was young a married uncle, after a night of drinking, grabbed me and french kissed me. I could never stand him after that. A couple of years ago he indicated he wanted something of my father's after he passed and my sister thought that we should just give it to him out of respect. I told her I didn't care what he wanted and told her what had happened. Now my sister who normally has zero tolerance for sexual misconduct asked if he had been drinking. When I said yes, she replied that he probably wouldn't have done it if he hadn't been drinking. As if that excused an uncle french kissing his niece. If my brother had done that to my daughter he would have walked around doubled over clutching his "junk" for a week.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 10 months ago

I hope the judge gives him the full 85 years and then adds another 85 just for the heck of it. He should spend the rest of this life in jail and his next life in hell.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 10 months ago

After reading the title all I can say is, "Too Bad!!".

jaywalker 3 years, 10 months ago

No sympathy before I read this, then "no worse than the average rape" was actually quoted and printed. ALL rapes should lead to castration, just my opinion. And anyone that could utter "average" in reference to rape simply has to be a moron.

broadpaw 3 years, 10 months ago

Great point. The fact that both the KC Star AND the LJ World would refer to an "average rape" is absolutely repulsive.

jabean 3 years, 10 months ago

What this scum bag DESERVES is cruel and unusual punishment. 85 years in prison is neither. They should get the word out in prison that he raped a helpless 92 year old woman and see what happens to him in there.

BigPrune 3 years, 10 months ago

"Man who raped elderly woman wants shorter term" When I read that I thought it was because she had lived a long and productive life and wouldn't be around much longer. - kind of like the panels for health care when they start denying 69 year olds pacemakers because it doesn't fit into their plan of sustaining the elderly.

riverdrifter 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm reminded of when Al Copone was sentenced to a decades-long stay in the greybar hotel and he complained to the judge that he could never live that long. The judge responded "Well, you just go to Leavenworth and do the best you can."

countrygal07 3 years, 10 months ago

No matter if this sick individual was drunk or high it is no excuse for what he did to this elderly woman. He needs the 85 years. I can only imagine what this lady fears now. My heart goes out to her.

denak 3 years, 10 months ago

"man who raped elderly woman wants shorter term"

Well, I'm sure she wanted a shorter rape also but she didn't get that, did she?