Archive for Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Lawrence man in fair condition in hospital after Tuesday night accident on Farmers Turnpike

September 29, 2010

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office says a driver injured in a one-vehicle crash Tuesday evening on the Farmers Turnpike briefly fell asleep and jerked the wheel before his Jeep slid into a ditch and struck a tree.

The driver, 33-year-old Robert Ryan Sayler of Lawrence, who is a newspaper carrier for the Journal-World, was flown via helicopter ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. Bob Hallinan, a KU Hospital spokesman, said Sayler was listed in fair condition Wednesday morning.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman, said Sayler was driving east in a 1999 Jeep Wrangler about 6 p.m. in the 700 section of County Road 438, which runs between Lawrence and Lecompton.

He drifted into the westbound lane near the crest of a hill and, when he saw oncoming traffic, he over-corrected and lost control, Lewis said. Sayler, who was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown from the vehicle. He told officers he must have fallen asleep while driving, Lewis said.

Comments

smitty 4 years, 2 months ago

damn...I thought he was imprisoned for that 14 count guilty plea but alas....

JW quote..."U.S. District Judge Monti Belot is scheduled to sentence Sayler on Nov. 2. The maximum penalty for wire fraud is 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine."

I actually feel sorry for Sayler and his family.

Take_a_letter_Maria 4 years, 2 months ago

doc1 4 years, 1 month ago

Thats because he was charged with what he did not with the information the newspaper screwed up. He sold stuff on ebay in which several items turned out to be stolen. He's not the one that stole the stuff he was just the seller. If you read the indictment you would know the facts according to the people who actually did the investigation. I've known this guy for awhile and if he had knowledge of those things being stolen I would forgive him because of the type of person he is. He's saved lives and donated more of his time to help others out than you could dream of.

lhsmom 4 years, 2 months ago

Was that comment really necessary? Smitty I think you need a life... you actually took the time to look up that quote? I can't speak for Ryan's family but I don't think they need your pitty. Ryan is a good person with a wonderful wife and family and they will get each other through this. All our prayers for a speedy recovery!

somebodynew 4 years, 2 months ago

Smitty, do me a favor - don't ever feel sorry for me !!!

If that is how you express feeling sorry for someone and their family (by bringing up "hand picked" parts of old articles) I think I and my family can do OK without it.

jennllo 4 years, 2 months ago

Wow do u people really not have better things to do then dwell on someone's mistakes so much that when that man was nearly killed u gta bring it up again. I mean really how pathetic is your own life. You should maybe look into getting some sort of a life I hear the phelps group is always recruiting... I am so sorry that everyone can't be a as perfect as you... So I signed up to this page just to say that as a member of the Sayler family I can speak for all of us when I say that we are all praying for Ryan because we love him through thick and thin and does not judge a man for what he does but for who he is... And if it was u that was in a wreck we would pray for u as well.... So do not pitty our family for we do not want it.... It is u that needs pitty..

Jim Phillips 4 years, 2 months ago

jennllo,

Ignore smitty. He/she/it is a very bitter person who, since 1991, has made it his/her/its personal goal to cast dispersion on anyone or anything related to LPD. While her posts are not actual lies, they are only partial truths based on selective bits and pieces.

I've known Ryan for several years. I don't think you have too much to worry about, he is a survivor in more ways than one.

jennllo 4 years, 2 months ago

jennllo 4 years, 2 months ago

Smitty y don't u take a interest into something that really matters like ummm idk the weather.., and get a life. Seriousy u need help gt over your obsession with ryan and like I also said keep yopur pitty its not needed .. My family prays for u and your envy